Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ontario Tenant rights: getting out of lease early?

AndyLuchies

Registered
I was reading through the Residential Tenancies Act for Ontario, and it seems to say that if I as a landlord refuse to let the tenant assign their lease to another person (either refuse to let them assign it to anyone in general, OR refuse to let them assign it to a specific candidate), then the tenant no longer has to follow the lease that was signed with me! This seems like an easy way to get out of a contract, is there a way around this for the landlord (for example, a clause in our lease stating no assignment of lease?)

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/act06.phtml#RTA95-4

CarlaJohnson

Registered
We had a tenant lose her job. She knew she could no longer afford the rent and was moving in with her parents in the interim. She knew she was still obligated to fulfill the lease agreement and was highly motivated to sublet it to someone else. She did all the work. She found us new tenants. We screened & approved them and moved forward.

Each circumstance is different, but you want to work with your tenants to make a smooth transition. Sometimes the new tenants are better, sometimes they are not. That`s the nature of this business.

Top Bottom