Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Our Biggest Mistake

JoeRagona

Registered
I`d like to share a small success with you. Thanks to the REIN organization and expert advice, my wife and I just closed on a three year pre-build condo deal.
For my portfolio, it was not the best idea to buy this property, but it was already too late as I had done it before joining REIN and building my team.

All of the caveats that go along with buying pre-build happened:

Extended build times, pre-occupancy payments, had to wait for building registration, countless other people invested in the same idea etc...When we finally get word we can close I looked at selling to make that initial `flip` we initially wanted. No go. At least 51 other `investors` thought the same thing and I was up against all this competition.

Not only that, but with the market downturn the builder still has 10 units for sale at the same price we paid three years ago. Not good. I sell, we will make nothing. In fact we will lose money with legal and realtor fees.

So I turn my attention to renting - I had analyzed this many times before in case I did have to go this route. I could
make this cash flow at $1700 - $1800 rent. It`s possible with the location of the condo - or so I thought.

Upon more research, I see that the other `investors` have set the market price. I guess some don`t worry about putting in a few hundred dollars a month because "it will eventually go up". Non-sophisticated investors I`m thinking. So from $1700, I now have to make $1550 as top rent work. Believe it or not, with even low interest rates and already 60k pumped into the investment, IT WILL NOT CASH FLOW at that rent.

Now I begin to panic a bit while learning another hard lesson but I also know there is a solution.

What did I do?

I approached one of my waiting JV partners who wanted a `fixed rate` of return instead of the traditional JV split. This allowed me to borrow $100,000 at interest only payments while using another $100,000 from my LOC. I closed in `cash` basically and have now interest only payments which give me a superior cash flow at the end of the day.

I have also `stress tested` this property with higher interest rates and even if I continue paying interest only for 5 years, the condo on sale will net about $130k with only 3 % appreciation.

This in my mind was the only possible solution to make this cash flow while creating a win/win/win for everyone (tenant included).

I had the unit tenanted before it actually closed and even dropped my $1600 asking price to the `market level` of $1500 to get the tenant I wanted. (Long term professionaly woman - score over 750 with fantastic income)

This was only possible with having my JV lined up and ready to go, our "B-Plan" LOC money available and the great knowledge I learn every day from this forum, REIN members and more importantly my team.

A very special thank you goes to Peter Kinch who told me "In 18 months, you will be a different person than you are today" Those words carry me forward every day and he was dead on with that timing as now the JVs are beginning to happen. Peter ,Bonnie, Peggy and Rebecca have all been extremely important to setting up my funding.

The crew at Dube and Associates are nothing but the best - if you have not picked up the 81 Financial Tips book yet, it is one for your library.

Thank you everyone!!!! I could go on and on mentioning names...you all know who you are.

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (JoeRagona @ Mar 14 2010, 02:45 PM) I`d like to share a small success with you. Thanks to the REIN organization and expert advice, my wife and I just closed on a three year pre-build condo deal.

Wow Joe, Great solution to a scary situation! I`m sure there was plenty of stress and worry during the process, but I`m glad you found a cash positive solution in the end. It sounds like you got quite an education in the process. Thankyou for sharing. I appreciate learning a valuable financial approach.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (RCrein @ Mar 14 2010, 02:10 PM) Wow Joe, Great solution to a scary situation! I`m sure there was plenty of stress and worry during the process, but I`m glad you found a cash positive solution in the end. It sounds like you got quite an education in the process. Thankyou for sharing. I appreciate learning a valuable financial approach.

Great story

wgraham

REIN Member
Fantastic strategy Joey! Way to get creative and find a great solution to a problem that most can`t figure out....

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks guys...it means a lot when responses like this come through. Maybe I DO know what I`m doing

JoeRagona

Registered
Here is a small follow up because I have had a few people private PM me about the situation.
This condo is in a high end of Oakville, condo fees are astronomical as well as taxes. Those two items alone are over 700$. If you factor in a mortgage with principle payments, plus the regular expenses that SHOULD be there ie: PM, maintenance (even at a low 4%), insurance etc the property starts to lose...

THIS is precisely why I had to go the interest only route. NOW, I am paying less in interest
than the condo fees and taxes.

I did also analyze this at todays rates which is the scary part and hopefully someone else thinking of the condo pre-build route will take note here. The main issue I have is not about today`s rates..it`s tomorrows

BenSanderson

Registered
Fantastic turnaround, Joe! Your success here gives us all hope that, no matter what the obstacles look like, there exists a solution out there if you have the determination to look for it. Of course, surrounding yourself with a great team makes that search a lot easier!

Well done, and thanks for sharing!

housingrental

Registered
> Our Biggest Mistake, is now a cash cow

That`s awesome Joey
I can relate. I was about to post a similar topic

GarthChapman

Registered
Well done Joey! You demonstrate a tenacious nature and that is an important key to success in this business.

jarrettvaughan

Registered
Nice Work,great to hear how you turned it around with your creativity!!!!

QUOTE (JoeRagona @ Mar 14 2010, 07:57 PM) Thanks guys...it means a lot when responses like this come through. Maybe I DO know what I`m doing

qdsouza

REIN Member
Well Done Joe. It is really great to read about your creativity in turning around a situation where many people would have accepted a monthly loss.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Hi Joey,

Nice comeback. I like that you recognize that it was a team effort, but don`t discount your own tenacity in working the deal until it paid off for you. It`s great that you`ve shared your experience with us and like Don always says, don`t forget to celebrate the small successes along the way!

David Chien

Registered
Thanks for sharing Joe!

BTW, Could you tell me what is the purchase price for this unit? Secondly, if the purchase price is $30k-$40k more, will you do it differently?

JoeRagona

Registered
Wow, reading even more of the posts from all you make me feel a whole lot better - thank you.

I have always known I can`t get anywhere without help and the team, and that includes all of you is very important to me. In sharing stories like this my intention was to help someone AVOID the situation should they be thinking of doing the same thing OR giving them an idea to dig themselves out should they be in the same position.

In reading many others` stories of success and failures here it has also helped me AVOID and MOVE forward in this `boring` business.

THANKS ALL...

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (Randyfriesen @ Mar 18 2010, 03:09 AM) Thanks for sharing Joe!

BTW, Could you tell me what is the purchase price for this unit? Secondly, if the purchase price is $30k-$40k more, will you do it differently?

Hi Randy,

We purchased this unit for 279,800 and with upgrades at the end of the day it came to $289 (I`m rounding it up). If the purchase price was as you suggested 30-40k more, I would not have even looked at this - even way back in 2007 in my `unsophisticated` investor days.

So, if you even run the quick numbers using the cash flow zone:

289,000 needs 1,926 to even BEGIN analyzing

The going rate of lets say average rent at $1500 is only 6.2% proerty rating. And that is before taking into account the expenses such as condo fees, insurance, maintenance etc.

Now you can see how this was a `not so great` choice.

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Mar 15 2010, 09:53 PM) Well done Joey! You demonstrate a tenacious nature and that is an important key to success in this business.

Thanks Adam, Ben, Garth...

Garth, without REMA it would have been a more difficult task. I have to say it made life easier being able to quickly change and update different scenarios.

David Chien

Registered
QUOTE (JoeRagona @ Mar 18 2010, 07:43 AM) Hi Randy,

We purchased this unit for 279,800 and with upgrades at the end of the day it came to $289 (I`m rounding it up). If the purchase price was as you suggested 30-40k more, I would not have even looked at this - even way back in 2007 in my `unsophisticated` investor days.

So, if you even run the quick numbers using the cash flow zone:

289,000 needs 1,926 to even BEGIN analyzing

The going rate of lets say average rent at $1500 is only 6.2% proerty rating. And that is before taking into account the expenses such as condo fees, insurance, maintenance etc.

Now you can see how this was a `not so great` choice.

Thanks Joey! May be you can re-name your self to ---Joey Dragon A ----just like in the Dragon`s Den!

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (Randyfriesen @ Mar 18 2010, 04:24 PM) ******************************************************************

Thanks Joey! May be you can re-name your self to ---Joey Dragon A ----just like in the Dragon`s Den!

LOL nice one. In fact, my wifes email begins like that "dragona"...You have me thinking now Randy...

cmerino

Registered
Great story Joey....we had a similar situation, and we worked it out through a Rent-to-own option. We found a good potential buyer (young, professional, recent graduate, new in the job, wanted to stay in the area), had some savings to put down, willing to pay above rent price in order to accumulate extra downpayment and interested in buying as soon as possible, etc. So now cash flow is positive, don`t need to have my property for sale competing with 50 other investors, and we know how much it will sell for. It is great to be part of a network that gives ideas and options so we can better define our investing strategies!

Top Bottom