Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Over 1 Million In One Year

2ndstory

Registered
Guess I officially hold over a million dollars of real estate now. Started investing about a year and a bit ago. The funny thing is, it doesn't really seem like a big deal. You see books with that as a title! Should I write one? I don't think so.

I guess it is a bit of a road marker, but definitely not the end of the journey. To me it feels like I am starting to see the potential of my portfolio, but I also am hit with the realization of the increased responsibility to that portfolio. Now more than ever, good management becomes key. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. The same phrase could be applied to a real estate portfolio, I think. Onward and upward I will go, but with a greater realization of the stakes.

Nik

2ndstory

Registered
Thanks, Jim. It's guys like you that have inspired me over the past year.

Nik

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Congratulations Nik!

A huge achievement!

I'm sure I'm not the only myreinspace member who'd love to know how you bought over a $1,000,000 of real estate in just over a year.

Would you share with us how you did it? What did you do right? What hurdles did you overcome?

Kudos to you,

Margaret

www.italycookingschools.com

TodorYordanov

Registered
Good for you!

Totally agree that manging it, in all aspects, will be the key going forward.

Don't forget to celebrate at every step :)

Rickson9

Registered
I enjoy this forum because posters in the "Success Stories" are always quick to provide positive feedback and encouragement!

Best regards

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]I enjoy this forum because posters in the "Success Stories" are always quick to provide positive feedback and encouragement!

Best regards

Yes, Jim. 'housingrental" just gave me a serious case of the warm fuzzies! :)

Nik

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=margaretcowan]Congratulations Nik!

A huge achievement!

I'm sure I'm not the only myreinspace member who'd love to know how you bought over a $1,000,000 of real estate in just over a year.

Would you share with us how you did it? What did you do right? What hurdles did you overcome?

Kudos to you,

Margaret

www.italycookingschools.com

Thanks, Margaret.

I'm not reinventing the wheel. I am applying many of the REIN principles to my investing, as well as throwing in a few from other sources and modifying it to suit my strengths. I have networked with a number of individuals here in Winnipeg that are actively investing and met with them to look at properties or bounce around ideas. I have built a team that consists of an agent with 30 years experience in our local market, a mortgage broker who can get things done, and a lawyer who is accessible and being paid to look out for my interests, and who deals primarily with real estate.

Near the beginning of this venture, my broker, his boss, my agent, and myself, went out for lunch. I typed up my 5 and 10 year plan (subject to evolution of course) and presented it to them. I told them that I wanted them to help me make it happen and they would be making commissions all along the way. From that point they knew exactly what I was out to do and could make suggestions to me that they felt were in line with my goals. At some points since, they have actually referred back to that presentation I did and questioned whether or not something I was thinking of was in line with what I had presented them. I appreciate them for that.

How have I come up with the capital to do what I am doing? There have been a couple strategies that I have implemented over the past year and a bit. I own (not free and clear yet) my personal residence as well as a cottage I built. I took some equity out of my house to build the cottage as well as to purchase my first revenue property. My first revenue property was a flip. I was able to actually make some money off of it, but it was a heck of a lot more work than I planned. In hindsight, the house was pretty rundown and I should maybe have purchased something with more going for it in the first place. That was probably the reason that I got it for so cheap in the first place though.

While I was doing that, I found a fourplex in a great area of the city that was for sale. It had been sold but the financing fell through, so I was able to swoop in and grab it from the vendors who were aging and desparate to unload it. I didn't have all the capital I needed since some was tied up in the flip house, so I managed to find a partner, my father-in-law, who was interested in going in with me on it. We split everything 50/50 and he does the property management, and I deal with the tenants. It cashflows positive but with the market the way it is, I think we can sell two of the units as condos and pay off the mortgage on the building and then hold the other two units free and clear or sell them if we want capital for something else. Buy wholesale and sell retail.

After I sold the flip, I took the profit and instead of paying off my unsecured LOC that I had been using to fund renos, I purchased two more buildings myself and use the cashflow generated from them to pay down the unsecured line. Warren Buffett buys undervalued companies. I try and buy undervalued houses. My agent and I are proving that we are pretty good at this. We use MLS and look for houses that have been on the market for a long time or were conditionally sold and the financing fell through. Both are good indicators of a motivated vendor. Sometimes there is something wrong with the house. Actually, usually there is. Sometimes the problem is easily remedied. In the two buildings I purchased, one had a wet basement, and the other was filthy. I could tell right away that the moisture in the basement was because the eavestroughs were wrecked, a pipe was leaking, the dryer was not vented outside, and the garden hose faucet was leaking. The foundation was fine. Anyways, both homes appraised out at 15 to 25% more than I paid for them. I put 25% down on each and am starting out with a good chunk of equity in each.

Call me crazy, but I'm doing another flip. Just bought a house together with a friend of mine who happens to be a designer, which I admit is handy. Pulling some equity out of one of the other buildings to pay the downpayment for this one. My broker has located a private lender who will be advancing us reno funds along the way. Once we sell this one, I will pay back the equity from my other income property and use the excess profit (God willing) to purchase another rental.

I am at over a million in about a year, and I am not including my my personal residence in that. My cottage is included in there, and there is no mortgage on it. I'm keeping it in my back pocket as a source of secured funds is something big comes along.

Oh yes, I teach junior high in a public school here in the city as well. I haven't met any other teachers doing this. There's a saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I'm out to disprove this stereotype. Thanks for the encouragement from forum members and friends!

Nik

gwasser

Registered
Congratulations Nick,

Keep up the great work. People can learn a lot from stories such as yours.

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=gwasser]Congratulations Nick,

Keep up the great work. People can learn a lot from stories such as yours.

Thank you, Godfried. I predict 2011 will be another dynamic year for me as I continue working at my 5 and 10 year plans.

Nik

Herbert

Registered
Congratulations Nik,

Could you share some tips for those who just jumped in this field or struggling to earn a lot through real estate agency?

Your tips will be a guide line for them.

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=Herbert]Congratulations Nik,

Could you share some tips for those who just jumped in this field or struggling to earn a lot through real estate agency?

Your tips will be a guide line for them.

Hi Herbert. I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but if you read my lengthy post above, you will see some of the things that I have been doing over the past year. Build a team. Have a quality agent, broker, and lawyer to work with. When you talk to them, present a plan. Tell them why you want to purchase real estate. A good broker and agent will ask you that. Are you trying to supplement or replace an income? Are you looking to purchase homes with cashflow as the focus or long term appreciation? What are your plans for seed capital? Your team members will tend to do more for you if you can show them that you have a plan and are serious about it. You are starting a business, and you need to treat it like that.

Nik

fumbrunner

Registered
Great progress Nik! Good to see that everything is working out. Are you doing that on a full time basis, or do you have a "day job"? That seems to be my biggest challenge - building my portfolio while doing it on a part time basis.

2ndstory

Registered
Hey Gerry,

Still have my "day job". It's hard to do both, but not impossible. If I can continue to do both, I will. My pension benefits and health insurance etc, are pretty valuable to me. I would have to be generating a pretty good cashflow to replace that and my wage. My motivation to produce a cashflowing and appreciating portfolio is long term wealth creation as well as to afford some of the finer things like travel both during my working years and in retirement. I also have an inner intrinsic motivation to do this in order to prove to myself that it can be done. In fact, that may be the strongest motivator for me.

Nik

fumbrunner

Registered
Yep, hard work doing both. Hopefully we could meet up in one of these Winnipeg meetings, if one is ever organized. Always looking for potential partners on projects!

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=fumbrunner]Yep, hard work doing both. Hopefully we could meet up in one of these Winnipeg meetings, if one is ever organized. Always looking for potential partners on projects!

Troy MacDonald, local REIN member and real estate agent, is the organizer. Unfortunately, he has some surgery planned presently and won't be able to start the meetings up again until later in the winter or spring. Once the River Heights reno I am doing is done, undoubtedly I will be looking to something else. Maybe another mult-family. Stay in touch.

Nik

scott2500

Registered
Does it make you feel better about yourself when you minimize someone else's accomplishments? Sounds a bit like junior high. Congratulations Nik

Top Bottom