Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pat Live

thejules

REIN Member
We have a call center in Orillia, Ontario, CANADA, that employs locals that speak Canadian. I wonder how we could get this kind of service from them? They had previously lost a client that caused them to lay off about 500 workers. The company is Teletech and they are looking for new clients to service.

ChrisRichards

Registered
Great thread - Here`s our four-bits! We use voice mail (VM) with a local number from one of many Voice Over Internet Providers (VOIP). You can get a "soft phone" (software and head set for computer) if you want to answer the odd call, otherwise you can set it to ring 3 times then go to VM, as if you were on the other line. We began to set up with Pat Live but didn`t like many aspects of it including the wait the caller sometimes had, operators unfamiliar with our geography, accent, etc.

By screening with VM and answering a few of the calls directly, we immediately got a very clear feel of the dynamics of the campaign and we must say that we find the text of the Yellow Letter provocative and that it creates unnecessary alarm in a number of callers, to the point that the police were called. This became very apparent in the first week of our campaign, with some callers darn well freaked out. More about the police later....

So we tweaked our VM message, which starts off like a regular home greeting "Hi, you`ve reached so and so, sorry we can`t take your call..." It then says "if you are calling about the note we left about buying your property, we should have been more clear. We haven`t targeted your house specifically, but are generally targeting properties in your area by postal code. Please leave a message if you have a house for sale" This filters out the curious, non-sellers, calms the paranoid, and works lick-ity-split for those that want/need to sell. And guess what, those who want to sell leave a message, because our voice message matches the tone of the letter (a couple just looking to buy a property) and they have an un-met need. The VM system then forwards their message to my email address as a WAV file. Since my email comes to my Blackberry also, I can listen to the message from anywhere, highlight the caller`s number in the system email text and just press send if the timing is convenient for me to return the call. As this happens in minutes, I catch the caller and say, sorry I was on the other line, consistent with what they`d expect if someone had call waiting.

My response numbers appear consistent with others: about 22-25% response rate (including hang ups) on random postal codes. 1/3rd of these callers have a house for sale, though most are not motivated. However, some do need solutions and this is who we are trying to reach.

A final note on the "provocative tone" of the standard yellow letter text. Police in my community launched a fraud investigation a couple of weeks ago and contacted a number of "letter writers" including me. In fact, I have to call yet another Constable tomorrow morning. A weekly newspaper wrote an article and implied fraud and mentioned some names. Some Realtors are publicly suggesting letter writers are trying to take advantage of desperate home owners (so examine your motives and make sure you are providing a real service and will withstand the "red-carpet treatment" should you get called to explain yourself). So what is my response going forward? Starting with Monday`s mailing, I am going to tone down the letter and remove the homeowner`s name and specific property address and just say generically "my wife and I are looking to buy a property in this area. If you have a house for sale or know of one, please call" Our opinion is that we don`t want to create churn. Why get people to call PatLive, VM, etc. just to say they don`t have a house for sale, and, as many have pointed out, the ones with a need to sell are going to contact you regardless. Sure, the letter in its original "do not modify!!" form creates a GREAT response rate, but who cares - it`s the motivated sellers we are trying to reach, not to panic our citizens. I project my response rate will fall to 13%, half of those will still have a house for sale, and the police and senior citizens will sleep better. I`ll try to remember to post a follow-up to see if my ratios hold as projected.

TerryKruse

Registered
These are some great solutions to create a winning campaign. I think I am going to tweak my service to a voice mail type service going into 2010.

I have 300 letters with the Pat Live local phone number in them. I will try voice mail through Pat for these and see how this goes.

Cheers, Terry

ogarcia

Registered
Hi Chris,

Can you share which VM / VoIP service you are using? I would like to take that route too.

Many thanks,

Oswaldo Garcia

QUOTE (ChrisRichards @ Jan 1 2010, 09:12 PM) Great thread - Here`s our four-bits! We use voice mail (VM) with a local number from one of many Voice Over Internet Providers (VOIP). You can get a "soft phone" (software and head set for computer) if you want to answer the odd call, otherwise you can set it to ring 3 times then go to VM, as if you were on the other line. We began to set up with Pat Live but didn`t like many aspects of it including the wait the caller sometimes had, operators unfamiliar with our geography, accent, etc.

By screening with VM and answering a few of the calls directly, we immediately got a very clear feel of the dynamics of the campaign and we must say that we find the text of the Yellow Letter provocative and that it creates unnecessary alarm in a number of callers, to the point that the police were called. This became very apparent in the first week of our campaign, with some callers darn well freaked out. More about the police later....

So we tweaked our VM message, which starts off like a regular home greeting "Hi, you`ve reached so and so, sorry we can`t take your call..." It then says "if you are calling about the note we left about buying your property, we should have been more clear. We haven`t targeted your house specifically, but are generally targeting properties in your area by postal code. Please leave a message if you have a house for sale" This filters out the curious, non-sellers, calms the paranoid, and works lick-ity-split for those that want/need to sell. And guess what, those who want to sell leave a message, because our voice message matches the tone of the letter (a couple just looking to buy a property) and they have an un-met need. The VM system then forwards their message to my email address as a WAV file. Since my email comes to my Blackberry also, I can listen to the message from anywhere, highlight the caller`s number in the system email text and just press send if the timing is convenient for me to return the call. As this happens in minutes, I catch the caller and say, sorry I was on the other line, consistent with what they`d expect if someone had call waiting.

My response numbers appear consistent with others: about 22-25% response rate (including hang ups) on random postal codes. 1/3rd of these callers have a house for sale, though most are not motivated. However, some do need solutions and this is who we are trying to reach.

A final note on the "provocative tone" of the standard yellow letter text. Police in my community launched a fraud investigation a couple of weeks ago and contacted a number of "letter writers" including me. In fact, I have to call yet another Constable tomorrow morning. A weekly newspaper wrote an article and implied fraud and mentioned some names. Some Realtors are publicly suggesting letter writers are trying to take advantage of desperate home owners (so examine your motives and make sure you are providing a real service and will withstand the "red-carpet treatment" should you get called to explain yourself). So what is my response going forward? Starting with Monday`s mailing, I am going to tone down the letter and remove the homeowner`s name and specific property address and just say generically "my wife and I are looking to buy a property in this area. If you have a house for sale or know of one, please call" Our opinion is that we don`t want to create churn. Why get people to call PatLive, VM, etc. just to say they don`t have a house for sale, and, as many have pointed out, the ones with a need to sell are going to contact you regardless. Sure, the letter in its original "do not modify!!" form creates a GREAT response rate, but who cares - it`s the motivated sellers we are trying to reach, not to panic our citizens. I project my response rate will fall to 13%, half of those will still have a house for sale, and the police and senior citizens will sleep better. I`ll try to remember to post a follow-up to see if my ratios hold as projected.

ChrisRichards

Registered
QUOTE (ogarcia @ Jan 5 2010, 10:23 PM) Hi Chris,

Can you share which VM / VoIP service you are using? I would like to take that route too.

Many thanks,

Oswaldo Garcia

www.VOIP.ms

TerryKruse

Registered
QUOTE (TerryKruse @ Jan 2 2010, 09:56 AM) These are some great solutions to create a winning campaign. I think I am going to tweak my service to a voice mail type service going into 2010.

I have 300 letters with the Pat Live local phone number in them. I will try voice mail through Pat for these and see how this goes.

Cheers, Terry

I switched my Pat Live to give callers a voice mail message similar to the one Chris has. Callers have a choice to either leave a message or press 6 to talk to my "receptionist".

This has made a huge difference. Now, instead of hang ups, I am getting information from the people who speak to Pat and the VM messages to my email as a wave file. I like this as I hear the tone of the callers voice, which seems to be pretty friendly.

I average one hang up out of 10 messages from the recent mailing.

Cheers, Terry

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Hi Terry,

I think we`re going to make the same switch, but I just wanted to clarify. So you kept your Patlive account and now callers have the option of giving their information to patlive or leaving a message with you? Is that correct?

Also, does anyone know if we`re able to take our number with us when we leave Patlive?

Thanks,
Zander

QUOTE (TerryKruse @ Jan 8 2010, 08:43 AM) I switched my Pat Live to give callers a voice mail message similar to the one Chris has. Callers have a choice to either leave a message or press 6 to talk to my "receptionist".

This has made a huge difference. Now, instead of hang ups, I am getting information from the people who speak to Pat and the VM messages to my email as a wave file. I like this as I hear the tone of the callers voice, which seems to be pretty friendly.

I average one hang up out of 10 messages from the recent mailing.

Cheers, Terry

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Jan 8 2010, 04:46 PM) Hi Terry,

I think we`re going to make the same switch, but I just wanted to clarify. So you kept your Patlive account and now callers have the option of giving their information to patlive or leaving a message with you? Is that correct?

Also, does anyone know if we`re able to take our number with us when we leave Patlive?

Thanks,
Zander

Zander you can purchase the number from them for $100 if you were with PatLive for short time and $50 if you were a client for longer, can`t remember the number of months.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (TerryKruse @ Jan 8 2010, 08:43 AM) I switched my Pat Live to give callers a voice mail message similar to the one Chris has. Callers have a choice to either leave a message or press 6 to talk to my "receptionist".I was thinking about doing the same thing, hoping for the same result. Thanks for reporting your success, I`m definitely going to do that now.

TerryKruse

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Jan 8 2010, 02:46 PM) Hi Terry,

Thanks,
Zander

Yes Zander. The VM or Live receptionist is included in your live messaging for Pat Live.

Cheers, Terry

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Hi Terry - glad to have met you this weekend, and thanks for the thoughts on PatLive - Lynda and I are tweaking as well - our first week (finally) of letters was last week, and it appears that we are the third wave (at least) in Airdrie since last Oct....

Will share some stats as we get some better data

Neill

WJW

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisRichards @ Jan 1 2010, 11:12 PM) We use voice mail (VM) with a local number from one of many Voice Over Internet Providers (VOIP). You can get a "soft phone" (software and head set for computer) if you want to answer the odd call, otherwise you can set it to ring 3 times then go to VM

Thanks for the tip Chris. What software for your "soft phone" do you use or would you recommend?

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Update: We did change our PATLive system to have a voice greeting and option to leave a voice message or talk to "receptionist". That change eliminated almost all the hangups. The other big change noticed was that almost everyone left a message with only a couple talking to a real person. My takeaway from that is to confirm the effectiveness of a VM only system like ChrisRichards described. There`s no need to pay the higher fees to have live reception if no one uses it.

I`m going to summarize my yellow letter campaign and conclusions in another thread.

JanBowler

Registered
Chris, could you post a follow up about how you find your voip answering system working, now that you`ve had it operational for a while? Thanks!

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi Chris,

I second David`s request. I am very interested in setting up a VOIP system for my home & home office.

I am envisioning one single phone # with very low rates that can ring my home office or cell phone simultaneously. I am also thinking that the VOIP # and cell phone # will be local calls and hence cut down on my long-distance cell time.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Speaking from the telecom world. As some of you know that is where I have spent the last 10+ years. Making sure 1000`s of phone lines and internet connections are working.

Home VOIP systems are great and cheap and finicky if you are not ready to spend sometime with them.
They have multiple points of failure, - your internet connection, your SIP programing, your PC that will terminate the call (if your away from the home and the PC needs a reboot - who does it?). your internal networking, hardware at home, some systems are very intensive to keep up.

I think you will find your time is better spent elsewhere.

From $15-$40 a month there are some alternatives that come with all the features you could ever want. including toll free and local numbers. Call FWD to any number, vmail delivered via email, virtual extensions, music on hold, custom greetings and so on,,, and no hardware to configure.

If you want a second line in the house you could get your carrier to add one for only a couple of dollars a month. All your calls could be routed to that line, and when your out of the office send the calls to your cell or anywhere in the world.

Just do a Google search for Virtual PBX

www.voicemailtel.com
www.virtualpbx.ca
www.ringcentral.ca
www.my1voice.com

No I do not represent any of these companies. lol

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Mar 8 2010, 09:46 PM) Speaking from the telecom world. As some of you know that is where I have spent the last 10+ years. Making sure 1000`s of phone lines and internet connections are working.

Home VOIP systems are great and cheap and finicky if you are not ready to spend sometime with them.
They have multiple points of failure, - your internet connection, your SIP programing, your PC that will terminate the call (if your away from the home and the PC needs a reboot - who does it?). your internal networking, hardware at home, some systems are very intensive to keep up.

From $15-$40 a month there are some alternatives that come with all the features you could ever want. including toll free and local numbers. Call FWD to any number, vmail delivered via email, virtual extensions, music on hold, custom greetings and so on,,, and no hardware to configure.

If you want a second line in the house you could get your carrier to add one for only a couple of dollars a month. All your calls could be routed to that line, and when your out of the office send the calls to your cell or anywhere in the world.

www.voicemailtel.com
www.virtualpbx.ca
www.ringcentral.ca
www.my1voice.com

I use Ring Central and am VERY satisfied with the service for the low price!

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
Thanks for your reply Gary. I thought this might be the answer to centralize my Live Answer (PATLive), 1-800# (Grasshopper) and local #`s (tollfreeforwarding.com) plus home and cell phone (and soon to follow, home business line) into one neat little bundle.

The rates for most Virtual PBX services is $0.06/min. versus $0.005/min with VOIP.ms

Although you raise a great point about the P.I.T.A. factor with trying to manage this system from home.

I think I`ll just keep waiting for Grasshopper to get local Canadian #`s and then centralize from there.

~Jeff

QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Mar 8 2010, 09:46 PM) Speaking from the telecom world. As some of you know that is where I have spent the last 10+ years. Making sure 1000`s of phone lines and internet connections are working.

www.voicemailtel.com
www.virtualpbx.ca
www.ringcentral.ca
www.my1voice.com

GaryMcGowan

Registered
QUOTE (jvarcoe @ Mar 8 2010, 10:27 PM) I think I`ll just keep waiting for Grasshopper to get local Canadian #`s and then centralize from there.

I believe for whatever reason Grasshopper is being held up by the CRTC. Which is confusing because much smaller profile companies are able to provide some Canadian based services.

For the record I have chosen to go with www.voicmailtel.com They have been very helpful and when I called up and asked the techie questions they gave the right answers. They also have a easy system to setup via their web portal. (I`m sure most do)
But I would like to hear if anyone else has a similar setup.

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
Hmmm... I like the VoiceMailTel for Blackberry (http://www.voicemailtel.com/services/vmt-berry-overview.html). That is definitely a feature I am looking for to reduce my cell phone bills. The rest of the plan appears to be more expensive than Grasshopper but I guess you just have to decide what features you truly want.

Top Bottom