Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

paying utilities

ronda

Registered
I have two duplexes that are up and down. There is only one gas meter and one power meter for two suites, so I pay the utilities. This has worked for the last year but lately the bills have been out of control. For Feb the power bill usage was double. What can I do? I am afraid if I ask the tenants to pay they will argue who is using more power. Is it possible that direct energy made a mistake? How can I get the tenants to pay? How can I solve this problem with out losing tenants?

billf

Registered
Do an inspection immediately, high power usage is a tip off for a grow-op. Check for space heaters and ask the tenants if they have been using thier oven to heat the unit. If it is a high gas bill, they often make estimates or mis-read the meters.

Good Luck

Bill F

ronda

Registered
The furnaces have been checked and they are working fine, there are no grow opts in there. The gas bills are fine it is the power bills that are out of control. I am going to talk to direct energy to see if they can determine which suite is using more. Do you think I will lose tenants if I ask them to each pay one third of the bill past a certain dollar amount?

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (ronda @ Mar 22 2009, 11:30 AM) The furnaces have been checked and they are working fine, there are no grow opts in there. The gas bills are fine it is the power bills that are out of control. I am going to talk to direct energy to see if they can determine which suite is using more. Do you think I will lose tenants if I ask them to each pay one third of the bill past a certain dollar amount?
Why would not want to lose a tenant that takes advantage of you?
You may want to indicate previous bills and offer to pay only the standard amount, they pay the balance.
I personally would never want to pay tenants` utilities, they will
abuse it.

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (ronda @ Mar 22 2009, 10:30 AM) The furnaces have been checked and they are working fine, there are no grow opts in there. The gas bills are fine it is the power bills that are out of control. I am going to talk to direct energy to see if they can determine which suite is using more. Do you think I will lose tenants if I ask them to each pay one third of the bill past a certain dollar amount?

Could it be a smart meter issue?
If you`re being charged the `new` way, the cost of hydro is considerably more during peak times, which will result in higher bills for the same actual Kw usage.

rymac

REIN Member
If your basement apartment is feed off a sub-panel you can easily split the metering. otherwise its going to be a lot more complicated.

HeatherBrandt

Registered
We have up and down suites on shared meters which we pay the utilities. Our PM has a clause in the lease which states the tenants will pay extra utility costs when they rise above 20 % of historical costs. We have never called anyone on it, but it`s there and the tenant is aware of it.

I agree that an inspection of both suites and talking to the tenants is the best way to deal with this. You may not get immediate satisfaction, but they`ll know you are paying attention.

Aneta

REIN Member
QUOTE (HeatherBrandt @ Mar 22 2009, 06:40 PM) We have up and down suites on shared meters which we pay the utilities. Our PM has a clause in the lease which states the tenants will pay extra utility costs when they rise above 20 % of historical costs. We have never called anyone on it, but it`s there and the tenant is aware of it.

Hi Heather:

Do you have the exact wording of that clause that you can share? Does anyone else have a template clause that I can put in my lease, regarding abuse of utilities?

Thanks in advance.

HeatherBrandt

Registered
QUOTE (Aneta @ Jul 17 2009, 12:12 PM) Hi Heather:

Do you have the exact wording of that clause that you can share? Does anyone else have a template clause that I can put in my lease, regarding abuse of utilities?

Thanks in advance.

"Where any utility is included in rental amount, tenant agrees to pay any excess which is above 20 % of historical usage. Utility bills must be paid to (owner, property manager) within 10 days of presentation"

Top Bottom