Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Please help: Interpreting the Home Inspection- Conditions coming up for removal but I don`t know what it means or how much $$$&#03

Allie

Registered
I just received the results of my first home inspection. This is the first time I have made an offer on a property (duplex) built in the 70s and I don`t know how to translate the results into laymans` terms. My primary concern are the costs involved and severity of the problems. I also do not know how I would even prioritize the repairs since I do not know which problems would be deemed the most serious. I have copied some of the "Poor/Defective" ratings and ranked them in order of what I guess is the most costly and time consuming. (Please disagree with me if I am wrong) I have placed what I deemed to be major problems above the preforation. I am wondering- Are the following results standard given the age of the building or will I be in deep doo doo if I go through with the removal of conditions?

The second part of my question pertains to bargaining power. Do REIN members usually go back after the home inspection as a tool to slash more of the price of? If so, is this done by writing a new contract altogether or asking for "cash back"?

The date for removing the conditions is coming up and I would really really appreciate your input and insights (Do I need a sump pump..not that I know what it is or how much it costs anyway) I wish the home inspection reports would come with action steps and cost estimations but it doesn`t.

SITE ELEMENTS
GROUND SLOPE AT FOUNDATION

Negatively graded slope toward the foundation visible. This condition does not allow water run-off and contributes to ponding. This condition can cause structural and/or water infiltration problems. Excessive soil/water pressures can actually cause lateral movement of the foundation, a potentially serious concern. Deficiencies must be corrected and suitable drainage conditions must be maintained in order to prevent problems.

ROOFING
Curling, brittleness and erosion of shingles noted. Past design life range; recommend replacement. See Home Owner Information Series Guide # 2, Asphalt Roofing.
When re-shingling, recommend using Ice dam membrane on bottom edge of roof to help prevent water penatration.

DOWNSPOUTS / ROOF DRAINS
Run into house with evidence of overflow; ensure adequate drainage and no leaks or blockage. Older pipes are usually galvanized and prone to rusting and leaking. Recommend disconnecting and adding exterior extensions as a preventative measure for interior flooding due to blockages and pipe perforations.

FOUNDATION AREA WATER PENETRATION:
EXTERIOR FEATURES / WATER INTRUSION FACTORS

A negative/flat grade sloped toward the foundation does not allow water run-off and contributes to ponding. This condition can cause structural and/or water infiltration problems. Excessive soil/water pressures can actually cause lateral movement of the foundation, a potentially serious concern. Any negative or flat grading must be corrected (using dirt) and suitable drainage conditions must be maintained in order to prevent problems. Upkeep of grading is considered a part of routine maintenance and should be checked periodically. A positive 10% slope away from foundation is recommended for grading and 2% recommended for paved surfaces.

FASCIA / SOFFITS
Soffit stains (particularly on west side) indicate possibility of prior ice dams. Correct as may be required. See roofing comment. See Home Owner Information Series Guide # 10.
Cladding missing from east side, recommend re-finishing the wood and re-positioning the fascia

EXTERIOR
ELECTRIC / GFCI
Standard receptacle installed at exterior, consider installing a GFCI protected outlet. GFCIs have been required for exterior receptacle outlets (installed within 2.5 meters from grade) for many years; they are a recommended safety improvement for all homes.

EXTERIOR HOSE FAUCETS
Front taps runs water and rear tap handle would not turn. REcommend shutting water "off" and repair as may be required.
Non-frostfree type noted. Be sure to drain before freezeup in winter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GARAGE
ROOF
Approaching design life range; anticipate replacement needs.
Deterioration to the finish on the fascia, repair any damage and re-finish as desired.

Original, galvanized, expect rust. Anticipate replacement. Peeling paint noted, re-finish as may be desire

Bathroom
SINK(S)
ROOF:
Rusting out at overflow, typical of style; possible leakage. Replace as required.
Slow drainage, recommend clearing drain. If problem persists consider having lines jetted/snaked by a plumber
SINK(S)
Rusting out at overflow and drain area, typical of style; epoxy type repair made. Possible leakage. Recommend replacement

TOILET
Loose on floor with moisture detected at base, recommend replacing wax seal and repairing any hidden damage
TOILET

Toilet "T" bolt is not in floor flange and hence right side of toilet3t can be lifted. Recommend lifting toilet, repair flange as may be required ,replacing wax seal and tightening to floor.
WALLS / CEILING
Evidence of prior water damage at both ends of tub. Dry at time of inspection. Repair as required and any hidden damage

VENTILATOR
Fan did not operate; recommend repair or replacement.

STALL SHOWER
Repaired damage and evidence of leaks that have been sealed. Deterioration of the stall noted. Recommend replacement to help prevent further wall and floor damage. See wall and floor comments. Possible leak/seepage from drain. Not visible at time of inspection

FLOOR(ING)
Deterioration of floor and moisture visible under floor covering (vinyl and carpet). Repair as required and any hidden damage.

WALLS / CEILING
Water damage and possible mold growth noted behind stall. Repair as required and all hidden damage. See Shower Stall comment.
Plywood panel in ceiling indicating possible repairs to main floor tub/bathroom area. Repair as may be required. Panel was not removed as it was painted in place

KITCHEN:
VENTILATOR
Fan did not operate. Recommend replacement due to age.

HEATING:
Main Floor Unit: See Home Owner Information Series Guide # 3, Warm Air Heating.
Unit is beyond design life range: anticipate replacement needs. Recommend annual servicing and maintenance by a Heating contractor or the Gas company, due to age. Combustion air supply, fresh air supply, and flue liner, may be required upon furnace replacement.

Carbon monoxide test is negative. Negative test does not guarantee there are no heat exchanger perforations. Recommend use of CO detector. See Home Owner Information Series Guide # 32, Carbon Monoxide

FURNACE:
BLOWER / FILTER
Several cracks in fan belt, recommend replacement.
Blower rated FAIR due to age

VENT CONNECTOR
Older blue steel vents are prone to rusting and leaking. Recommend replacement.

DRYER CONCERNS
Flexible plastic dryer duct not recommended . Replace with rigid sheet metal ducting as plastic is no longer considered acceptable for application.

Top Bottom