Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Potential Quick Turn Deal (Resort Location)

Dejavu

Registered
Hi,

I had a lady contact me yesterday about a condo located on a lake resort in the cottage country in Ontario about 2 hours drive north of Toronto.

She is a teacher who used to live there but later relocated to Southern Ontario. The condo has been on the market for 2(!) years and has not sold. She is very emotional about it and just wants it gone.

These are the numbers from her:

Currently Listed on MLS: $200,000
Mortgage (LOC): $155,000. Interest only payments at 3.25% = $420/Month
Condo fee: $330
Prop. Tax: $125/month.
The condo currently rents for $900/month, the lease is up in March 2010.

She put around $40,000 in renovations into the place and it does look very modern on the photos. She would sell it for $160-$165,000 and is open to any creative ways it could be sold, including continuing to hold the LOC and Title in her name (talk about motivation!).

As a first step I was planning to confirm the ARV and assuming it is close to the listing price , its likely that the realtor may not have done a good job at marketing the property. I was planning to propose the following two options to the owner:

1) Option the property from the owner at $160,000 and then market the property at its market value. I feel this is the type of property that needs to be heavily marketed. If it does sell, I make the spread between the sale price and the option price.

2) If the above does not work, sign a JV agreement with the owner and attempt to get a tenant buyer in. It may be difficult to find a tenant buyer for that location, since its highly geared toward vacation but probably still worth a shot.

Both of these options require no money down from me (besides a few dollars on an option deposit) and if they don`t work out, I can walk away any time.

Would appreciate if fellow Legrand grads could help panel bit the above plan and if I am grossly overlooking some other potential options and/or pitfalls, any and all feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Vitaly

gkeary

Registered
Hi,

I think it depends a lot on where it is. Cottage country has not being doing well the last few years and is still depressed. This property could be very hard to unload.

Also unless you can get more income from it in a lease option you would be barely breaking even not taking into consideration repairs. Plus you would only be covering interest with no principal pay down.

Good luck. gk

davepeniuk

Registered
Vitaly,

First off all, congrats on finding this "potential" prospect. It may turn out that the Seller is a Prospect but the property is a suspect! One way to "test" this is to do some marketing of the property to see if there is any interest either with a private sale and/or as a Rent To Own. I suggest doing the following:

1a - Put a few For Sale ads in craigslist, kijiji, local classified ads advertising the general features of the property: # of bds, bths, approx. sq.ftg., upgrades, how close and/or convenient it is to: the lake, local quaint shops, restaurants, etc. You don`t have to put the exact address, but you want enough details to pique someone`s interest. You can do all of this for free online or you could also pay to actually put ads in the paper.

1b - Do the above, but this time for Rent To Own. Briefly explain how the rent to own works and include the details of the property (again, not showing the exact address). In this ad, you want to focus seeing how much "rent" the market will pay. So, perhaps include a range of rent amounts in the RTO ad. Again, when people call/email, try to find out more about them rather than explaining everything about the property. This is to test whether they are really interested or not in being a Tenant-Buyer.

2 - As people begin to contact you, reply and try to determine if they are prospects or suspect buyers. Find out more about what and where they are interested. You can tell them you are in the process of acquiring the property. If they begin to push to see it, and they come across as prospective buyers.....you may have your answer whether this is a property worth obtaining.

Give it a whirl and see what happens! Good luck and keep us posted!

Dave

Top Bottom