Potential Tenant Wants to Bring 1/2 Ton Aquarium..

Nir

REIN Member
Hi All,
A new potential tenant wants to bring a 1/2 ton aquarium (125 gallon!). The apartment is on the second floor of a 4-plex.
What is the maximum aquarium weight you allow?

In additional to potential water damage, how can we estimate the maximum safe weight structure-wise? 1/4 ton, 1 ton? (4 people can weight 1/2 ton)

THANKS.

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Nov 25 2009, 09:12 PM) Hi All,
A new potential tenant wants to bring a 1/2 ton aquarium (125 gallon!). The apartment is on the second floor of a 4-plex.

In additional to potential water damage, how can we estimate the maximum safe weight structure-wise? 1/4 ton, 1 ton? (4 people can weight 1/2 ton)

THANKS.

I don`t know if this would fall under the tenant or yourself as the LL but you may want to look into any insurance issues.

Scenario: Tank springs a leak/breaks water everywhere and damages ceiling, walls and contents of unit below.

So, first off, does this tenant have insurance and second to that, is there anything in their policy that would/wouldn`t cover something like that?

If they don`t have insurance or for some reason their policy wouldn`t cover it, would it fall on your shoulders? Does your policy have coverage for something like that?

I don`t know if this is even remotely an issue or not, but I deal with insurance claim replacements and I have seen some strange ones.

markbrad

Registered
As far as weight goes, I don`t think it should be a problem. An old piano weighs a half a ton with a person sitting at it. When buildings are built, the dryall is stacked on the floor and would weigh over a ton. I would be concerned about water damage if it were ever to break. Granted it is a remote chance, but so is a fire. Heed the previous post and check into the insurance, especially YOUR insurance policy.

Mark

GoRentFreeFast

Registered
Is it not a clause in your lease that ALL pets require pre-approval? I personally would not allow this into a rental property...just my two cents.

invst4profit

Registered
If you are concerned make sure your insurance policy covers you. Tenants are not required to carry insurance coverage (not included in the RTA) in Ontario and therefor not enforced by the LTB.
It is common, in cases where the LL requires tenant insurance, for tenants to get insurance coverage then immediately cancel it as soon as they are in the unit.
Unfortunately if your downstairs tenant is displaced by a flood it will be at your expense and not covered by regular insurance but it is very unlikely to happen.

This would be a very good case for justifying damage deposits in Ontario if for no other reason than to cover the deductible on LLs insurance claims.

jeffjas

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Nov 25 2009, 10:12 PM) Hi All,

THANKS.

Who cares about the deductibles being covered, why would you want to deal with the potential consequences, can you imagine the aftermath and affect on below tenant if someone was careless (maybe intentionally). I dont even allow water beds in my building (hardwood floors).

My answer would be no way.