Principle Residence vs. Capital gain

DavidChien

Registered
Jul 7, 2010
Burnaby, B.C.
Hi :
I need some clarification regarding this principle residence question.
Some one asked me that if they moved into a new home in Oct. 2009 and attempted to sell their former (vacant) home un-successfully for over a year. Does the capital gain tax apply if the home was sold after Jan. 2011 ?

moparcanuck

Registered
Sep 3, 2010
Airdrie, AB
I would say the principal residence exemption still applies. Although the property took longer than hoped to sell, one could show that the INTENTION was to sell pretty much immediately (I assume that`s the case and can be backed up by realtor listings, advertizing, etc). Additionally, there was no other use for the property from the description, it sat vacant the whole time (might be different if it was rented out in the in between times).

Pheenix

REIN Member
Nov 1, 2009
Etobicoke
QUOTE (Davidchien @ Nov 23 2010, 11:47 PM)
Hi :

I need some clarification regarding this principle residence question.

Some one asked me that if they moved into a new home in Oct. 2009 and attempted to sell their former (vacant) home un-successfully for over a year. Does the capital gain tax apply if the home was sold after Jan. 2011 ?

Hi David

I'm not an accountant, but I think you will find that they can claim the gain on one or the other of the residences but not both for the overlapping period. They will have to decide which is to their greater advantage. How that distinction is made is another thing. They may have to get an opinion letter from a realtor or appraisor for the respective changes in value of both properties over that time; just in case CRA askes questions.

You will be able to get an definite answer from the accountants, and lawyers here.

DavidChien

Registered
Jul 7, 2010
Burnaby, B.C.
Thank you all for your input. This forum is so vital to all investors that this is the best source to learn and save money. Real Estate investing can be very profitable if done correctly. But the cost can be just as high if we are not careful. Thanks again!