Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

properties not satisfying 10% rule in my area

RahulDhond

Registered
Most of the properties here in my area(Mississauga, Brampton) dont satisfy the 10% rule(1st step of the funnel). How are you guys dealing with it? What is the maximum % that we can stretch as investors?
As a realtor in making(taking Ph.3 exam soon), I am trying to choose a farm area for business that would more or less fit my investment criteria too. That way, I could list houses in my course of business and if an occasional property fits my criteria, I could buy it for my portfolio.
Any thoughts?
thanks,
- RD

RahulDhond

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Aug 3 2008, 03:24 PM)
This is only the first filter in your process, and with the runup in real estate values and rents over the past 2 years has been revised to 8-10%. It is now referred to as the Cash Flow Zone. Here is a good post on the subject for you:

http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only/Members-Only_Discussion/81-3500-The_10_rule.html

Hope that helps,

It is a REIN only link and hence I cannot access it. Well, hopefully I'll join in a few months' time and will be able to access it.

Garth, thanks anyways.

- RD

Nir

REIN Member
RD,
There are many properties within 1-1.5 hours drive from you that meet not only the 10% rule but actually generate closer to 15% annual rent to purchase price ratio!

I strongly recommend that you not compromise and purchase ONLY such properties even if it takes you a little more time to find them.

What`s another month or two of searching for a (great) property compared to the nice positive cash flow it will generate for you every month for years to come?

Good luck,
Neil

GarthChapman

Registered
Neil is right. Make sure you set your expectations out clearly, and then don`t settle for less.

Think of it a bit like marriage - if you make the right choice you won`t have to undo it and start all over again...

RahulDhond

Registered
I agree. My thinking was that since I would be listing and selling houses as a realtor in and around Mississauga, Brampton anyways, I could try to pick up investment properties right here in my operating areas; sort of 2 birds with 1 stone.
But I see your point.
thanks,
- RD

Top Bottom