Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property Management Fees - KWC

ekisielewski

Registered
KWC Investors: would you mind sharing the range usually charged by local companies to manage single family homes in the area?

Thank You very much

Elisabet Kisielewski

housingrental

Registered
The most common charge you'll be quoted from firms is 5% of monthly rent to manage, and one month rent to rent the unit.

You'll find a large variance from firm to firm in fees charged, and how the charges are structured.

So for example one company might quote $90 per month flat fee instead of 5% of gross, another company might quote $1100 charge to rent vs one month of rent.

You'll also find discounter type firms - with re-rentals starting from as low as $400 per unit, etc..quality of service, scope of work offered, and other factors (lack of insurance, skill set, etc...) will often account for this.

You'll find ones that offer unlimited service for the $X per month, others will claim this and then quit or asking for additional fees when too much work is generated, others will charge $XX per month per visit to property needed if in excess of X amounts, and others will charge a percent mark up on invoices or an extra amount of $XX per maintenance event IN ADDITION to the fee you're charged from workers. All of this should be set out in your contract.

Other firms, and I do this often, will not charge a rental fee but charge a higher rate for property management and include renting as a free service - so for example at 11% of gross - but this will vary materially from property to property

Property management is a low bill rate service that has a huge impact on your bottom line over time - I'd strongly recommend you choose a property management company based on service, not price. As an owner of a property management company I know that if I was ever investing in a different area I'd be more likely to choose the costliest company offering services in that area than the cheapest. When you hire a company for a job that requires 3 hours a month of work and they only charge you $50 for it what unfortunately often happens is you end up with less than the needed amount of work being done each month.

MrHamilton

Registered
Rock Star Property Management: $99 per month for Inner Circle members

http://www.propertymanagementrockstars.com/

JoeRagona

Registered
Adam has some great points - I've struggled with property management in both areas Barrie and KWC. In Barrie I was paying flat rates and eventually took this over myself because I was not receiving the proper maintenance I wanted done and I still had to pay for extra maintenance issues like plumbing or handymen etc.

In KWC I have a hard time with a company charging top dollar like 10 or 11% even though the service is fantastic only because the property barely cash flows. I recently had to take over management of properties due to an increase in PM rates there as well.

What we really need is an a-la-carte system for REIN members and full time investors like me. I do A LOT of the work PM are supposed to do - I would be MORE than happy to pay a firm to take care of the immediate attention stuff I can't. If there is extra expenses such as LTB hearings and the like, it wouldn't matter because you normally pay those extra anyway from my understanding.

Basically, I need a firm who will 'be on call' and paid to sit there. I rarely have issues because I do my due diligence on my tenants. Sometimes too much. But there is always that chance....

housingrental

Registered
Hi Joey

For sure you can find this in KWC (and likely Barrie too)

Many firms will customize contracts on request (I do too) and offer reduced fees for reduced service. Ie one off charges based on specific events ordered from owner, etc..

JoeRagona

Registered
You bet Adam, I have been able to 'customize' my PM in Barrie, but in KW it's a new ball game since I am taking control now. I'll pick your brain to see what it available. Come see me at the event Thursday.

Top Bottom