Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property Management in Fort Mcmurray

DianeLeahy

REIN Member
Is anyone familiar with a company called "Northern Property Management Ltd" in Fort Mcmurray? Any feedback on them would be helpful .If you want to share your favorite one or your least favorite please do so!

Diane Leahy
Real Estate Investor

Smitty

REIN Member
Diane:

I have 3 units in a complex managed by Northern Property Management. They`re mostly helpful, and I say that with reservations because like most companies in Fort Mac, they`re understaffed and overworked, so that can create issues.

But I found the personalities of the people I have contacted pleasant and sincere in their effort to be helpful. I still self manage my 3 units for the most part, for e.g., I am flying up (yay WestJet seat sale! $79 each way!!) at the end of the month from Edmonton to do a move-out.

Mike `Smitty` Smith

DianeLeahy

REIN Member
Thank you for your feedback!
I was up there on friday and had a quick visit with them. Deanna was very friendly. We will consider them for our properties. Did you know that they are expanding to Edmonton? You are much closer them me, as I live in Toronto.An hour flight sounds easier to do then 4 to 6 hours from here! How long have you been investing in FMM? I am FINALLY starting!!!!

Diane

QUOTE (Smitty @ May 8 2008, 04:47 PM) Diane:

I have 3 units in a complex managed by Northern Property Management. They`re mostly helpful, and I say that with reservations because like most companies in Fort Mac, they`re understaffed and overworked, so that can create issues.

But I found the personalities of the people I have contacted pleasant and sincere in their effort to be helpful. I still self manage my 3 units for the most part, for e.g., I am flying up (yay WestJet seat sale! $79 each way!!) at the end of the month from Edmonton to do a move-out.

Mike `Smitty` Smith

oilersrule

Registered
Hey Diane , Ive been investing in Fort McMurray for years, i have been here all my life. I am a realtor and mortgage broker here, have had properties managed by all companies , if u have any questions about any drop me a email [email protected], i will give you a honest opinion. I only invest here and try to make 1500 - 2000 a month per property.

Thanks

Shawn

greg12

Registered
Here is my experience with Northern:

Pluses:

One plus is that they respond quickly to your questions even if the answers are not always satisfactory.

Minuses:

1. Meaningless monthly statements. Be prepared to see some very weird accounting on the statements e.g. deductions with no explanation and monthly deposits of varying amounts for absolutely no reason whatsoever. The explanation I got was that they are stuck with an old accounting system that they can't change. Hey, I don't mind as long I am not short changed a few dollars -which always seemed to be the case. Good news is they usually get it fixed IF you let them know you are watching.

2. Tenant screening. They like to run credit checks on people before they see your unit. I feel pre-screening is ok, but a full blown credit check before they even see & like your unit is unnecessary. This means it could take longer to get a renter in a slow market like winter. You can't blame a prospect for not wanting a hit on their bureau for a property that they might not even like. Next landlord please!

3. Rent deposits. There were a couple of months where they did not make the rent deposit to my account at all! You need to be very careful and on top of things. The fact that they only make the deposit on the 30th despite receiving the rent on the 1st is also annoying and bum-covering on their part. February does not have a 30th day, so make sure you hound them during that month especially. Ridiculous but true.

4. Lop-sided agreement. Read their agreement carefully. There are lots of clauses in there that you might want crossed out. Like their placing a caveat on your property, requiring a 3 or 4 month notice to terminate etc. Be sure to negotiate before you sign or you could be stuck with them for a long long time.

That's all I can recall for now. Good luck!

Gregory Ero B.Comm

Professional Mortgage Consultant

A 2 Z Mortgages Inc.

115B 13740 72A Ave Surrey, BC V3W 1N5

Cell: (778)891-GREG (4734)

Fax: (604)594-3735

Howell

Registered
Hi,

I have been investing in fort mcmurray for years, i have been here all my life. I am a realtor and mortgage broker here have had properties managed by all companies, if u have any questions about any drop me a email [email protected], i will give you a honest opinion.

Top Bottom