Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Real Estate data file organization

lgrossi

Registered
Hi

I just want to share some thoughts about organization. I have only two properties, but I`m on my way to getting some more. However, I see the need of being prepared and organized!!!!

I bought a file cabinet for the paper documents and split the drawers in categories and different colors for the folders following the instructions of REIN. It saves me a lot of time and it is easy to find documents when I need. It works really well!!!

Because we are in the digital era, I`m organizing my files in the computer. Because the lack of time I was saving everything under a folder called REIN and some major categories. Anyway, I was spending so much time looking for files that I decided to sit down NOW and spent time classifying all the documents to save me time in the future.

I would like to share the structure that I have created and maybe help some other people that are struggling with so many files like I was.

Real Estate

· 5 Year Plan

· Financial

o Financial Binder

o HELOC

o Income tax

o Mortgage info

· Forms

o Administrative

o Financial

o Offer

o Tenants

· Lawyer

· Marketing

· Property Address

o Advertisement

o Financial

ü Cash flow

ü Mortgage

o Comparables

ü Price

ü Rent

o Condo Property Management

o Lawyer

o Miscellaneous

o Offer

o Property Management (unit)

o Renovations

o Tenants

· Property Management

· Realtor

· REMA

· Research

I hope it helps

Luciana

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Thank you.

This will give others a nice template to adapt for themselves. Maybe others will post their electronic filing strategies

GarthChapman

Registered
Make your digital filing structure mirror your paper filing structure. That makes it easy to find what you are looking for no matter where.

Mauro

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Sep 6 2008, 08:59 AM) Make your digital filing structure mirror your paper filing structure. That makes it easy to find what you are looking for no matter where.

Are there any long time investors out there who can throw in some wisdom? Are there any categories missing in the suggested file system? Are there categories that seem to grow very large over time? My suggestion is to add a numbering system so that its easier to find things and understand the hierarchy. EG:

1000 - 5 Years plan
2000 - Financial
6000 - Property Address
6100 - Advertisement
6200 - Financial
6210 - Cash flow
6220 - Mortgage

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I have another suggestion for those of you who invest places in other than your home town, at least in terms of organizing your contacts.

I do not, at least at this time, own a Blackberry. And my cell phone`s capacity to hold a myriad of contact names is limited. Most of of have an online mail account, such as Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo.

Organize your contacts in your online address book so that you will have access to them if you are travelling, and need them. I take my laptop with me, but this is a back-up system... just in case. Computers get lost, stolen, or crash.

Top Bottom