Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Realtor/Reno question - Plus 1 bedroom

mm4cdon4ld

Registered
Hello,

We are doing some small renovations (mainly wear and tear) to a semi-detached property in Toronto but, as is, the place is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathrooms, complete with sauna in the finished basement. The 2 bedrooms are both fairly large and one of the two could be reverted into the two tiny original bedrooms originally present but I'm not entertaining that just now as it will house 2 small kids just as well as 1 bedroom (and given the size of this property, added large kids/people aren't really an option in any case).

The sauna in the basement will be reverted to a second bathroom but I wondered about the rest of the finished basement. Are there rules/guidelines defining what constitutes the "+1" bedroom in 2+1 bd/2 bath? Figured this could be a great guest bedroom without much effort or expense if planned right. I planned to install a window well for greater access/egress to/from the basement while addressing some external drainage issues in any case. Would anything beyond installing a wall-bed be required officially for MLS listing purposes? My realtor seems to agree it's a good idea but has avoided answering.

Full disclosure: this isn't an investment property but a downsizing of personal residence to reduce commuting time. The goal for the family however remains to move out west in a few years so we're trying to plan ahead. Also just really curious.

Thanks for any guidance.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
In Alberta, a closet is required in order to call it a bedroom. Perhaps the same is true there. I can think of nothing other than the closet and proper egress.

MatPiche

Registered
Sherilynn is right. As far as I know the same rules apply to homes here in Ontario.

markl

Registered
Closet and a window (egress)

Where is the semi? depending on the size you may want to go back to the 3 BR upstairs as it is more common in those areas and attracts more buyers.

I grew up in one of those semi's

Regards,

mm4cdon4ld

Registered
Wow. A closet. That never would have occurred to me. Thanks!

Sherilynn, Mat - thanks for responding so immediately. I hadn't expected that and I'm grateful. .

Mark - Thanks for the added idea. The place is on Castlefield Ave. I'll keep an eye out to see if I spot your initials carved in the banister. I hope you have fond memories - we're moving there so my 4-year old daughter has no more cause to ask why I'm never home. I just hope she enjoys the area as much as she has the suburbs where she has several friends her age a few doors away.

Thanks again to each of you. Best wishes for a great weekend.

Mark

Top Bottom