Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN Membership..To be or Not to be?

SanjivSheth

Registered
Hi - I am seriously considering REIN membership and would very much like to speak to like-minded REIN Members. I am not sure if I should opt for the By-Mail membership or take the full membership.

In all honesty, cashflow is bit of a problem for me and while I think I can manage the full memebrship I want to make sure it really is worth it.

Can someone you has joined say in the last year or two contact me? You can email me and I will call or I can provide my contact details.

I really want to know how you have used REIN memebrship to `evolve` further in the world of real-estate ownership, etc.

Much appreciated.
ER

EdRenkema

Registered
You will get plenty of response right here, REIN will educate you, provide you with a plethora of mentors, push you, force you not to procrastinate, and to sum up, help make you a more goal-action oriented individual.
What REIN will not do is take you by the hand and lead you along, they will give you so much material you cannot absorb it all,let alone keep track of it all.
Network is a very apt term since that is one of the strongest advantages to being a REIN member - networking with like minded individuals.

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 28 2009, 11:10 PM)
What REIN will not do is take you by the hand and lead you along, they will give you so much material you cannot absorb it all

Whether you end up becoming a REIN member or not, ultimately this is your decision to make.

If you do become a member, you will be able to speak to and learn from real estate investors with a great deal of experience. This will be a tremendous help for you over the years as you invest in real estate.

If you do not joint REIN, who are you going to go to when you have a complicated question to ask re: real estate. Where else will you be able to learn from a network of like minded, goal oriented people, that have taken action and who have proven results?

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. (To be or not to be...)

Best Regards,

Neil.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
Hey ER,You see these threads come up fairly often on these forums and it`s always overwhelmingly in support of becoming a member. Most aren`t affiliated with REIN beyond being members... so barring brainwash I think it`s safe to say that it works for the majority of the members, anyways.In my opinion, the true benefits are four-fold, each of them are single-handedly worth the membership fees, directly or indirectly:

1) A conglomerate of information.
While it is fully possible to get ahold of all of the market information you have access to as a member, the likelihood of you taking the time to track down, read, then sift and assess all of it and still having enough time to sleep is very improbable... Mix in eating, a job, and day-to-day chores and you`re hooped.
2) Networking.
Monthly you are meeting with like-minded individuals who are in the position to help you. REIN is a nationwide network of support. You have the connections to find someone for any occasion. I can`t prove that but I haven`t been proven wrong yet.
3) Accountability.
You will meet and speak with people who you will speak to again, if not soon. This is an easy way for you to "tip the scale" on holding yourself accountable.
4) Inspiration.
The meetings leave you feeling confident and ready to continue on your journey into REI. This monthly inspiration makes the sometimes seemingly daunting task of purchasing real estate feel much more comfortable and manageable.

In the end, as others have mentioned, it`s up to you. I made the decision to become a member because I wanted to tip the scale. I had read enough, I had heard enough, and I had spoken to enough people about it... It`s time to get my fingernails dirty. When all is said and done, you are the only one in the position to make change. You can join and become stagnant or you could join and become a bazillionaire, the same is true of not joining; in my opinion the membership makes success that much more attainable, and if the investment of $2400/yr brings me only $2400/yr back I`ve broken even and am a more experience man because of it.

The world`s your oyster.

housingrental

Registered
A more negative perspective on REIN:
It`s costly
It`s time consuming - driving to meeting, meeting, reading material = opportunity cost
Some people might not appreciate time at meetings on non real content

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
To buy and operate real estate profitably you need motivation, cash, and knowledge.

read some posts here:

5 ways to make money http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-3347-5_ways_to_make_money.html

How to get started http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-4391-How_to_get_started_.html

If money is a problem for the membership now, then you are not yet ready to buy real estate. get some 4s first, then in parallel educate yourself. This takes time and money.

One insight can save you $10,000's on a deal .. plus you learn it from the ground up .. go to at least one Quickstart .. there is one in March in Vancouver. It is inexpensive education for the potential $s in real estate or mistakes avoided. Like a university that charges $2500 per semester knowledge cost $s.

If you are SERIOUS about investing now, join REIN now. If you are not sure .. you are not ready .. so make some $s elsewhere for a year or 5, then join REIN in 2013 or 2017 !!

Don't wait to invest in real estate - Invest in real estate and wait ! ` .. thus consider that time is money !!

PhilipMcKernan

Registered
As an independent speaker that is honoured to speak on the REIN stage I get to see what happens behind the scenes and the efforts that go into the delivery and the quality of the material provided to members. I speak Internationally and while I believe the system works, for me the desire of REIN to positively impact the members is what impresses me most.

If you have any interest in Real Estate in Canada then its a no brainer in my books as one nugget, one insight, one key strategy or one story could save you thousands of dollors and more importantly thousands of hours.

Just look at the responses for example that you have received. They are from a broad spectrum of experienced investors who you would have access to on a monthly basis if you joined.

I did not have a REIN type of organisation when I started out investing in real estate and it cost me.

P.S. I get nothing if you join or not except perhaps the pleasure of meeting you some day.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 29 2009, 09:44 PM)
A more negative perspective on REIN:

It's costly

It's time consuming - driving to meeting, meeting, reading material = opportunity cost

Some people might not appreciate time at meetings on non real content

costly ? $2500/year .. hardly ..

time consuming: indeed .. a life long learning process that has to start somewhere .. like any worthwhile effort to learn ANYTHING .. how long to master Chinese ? or German ? or Italian ? or microbiology ? or architecture ? or water purification technology ? or nuclear power systems ? years .. decades sometimes !!

Some people are just too lazy to learn s.th. worthwhile .. as it costs significant time and money !

LeighF

Registered
REIN membership? To be or not to be?

TO BE!!! Since making this small investment in June of 2008 at the Calgary Quickstart weekend, I am well on my way to securing my own Freedom 55, that RRSP`s would never come close to doing.

Small investment, for BIG return!

housingrental

Registered
$2500 - This is good coin to many people...and I don't see how in my case it'll save more than that on a future deal because of the knowledge I've received through rein

Time - Good we agree partly... Your implying though you need REIN to learn real estate investing... investing is the goal there can be more efficient paths to that goal...

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 30 2009, 11:23 AM)
costly ? $2500/year .. hardly ..

time consuming: indeed .. a life long learning process that has to start somewhere .. like any worthwhile effort to learn ANYTHING .. how long to master Chines ? or German ? or Italian ? or microbiology ? or architecture ? or water purification technology ? or nuclear power systems ? years .. decades sometimes !!

Some people are just too lazy to learn s.th. worthwhile .. as it costs significant time and money !

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 30 2009, 07:39 PM)
$2500 - This is good coin to many people...and I don't see how in my case it'll save more than that on a future deal because of the knowledge I've received through rein

you will see ..

QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 30 2009, 07:39 PM)
Time - Good we agree partly... Your implying though you need REIN to learn real estate investing... investing is the goal there can be more efficient paths to that goal...

such as ? reading a book ? watching Holmes on Homes on TV ? Take a $99 weekend special "nothing down" course ?

If $2500 is too much now .. then wait .. as you also need 10 times that for your first deal .. better more ..

OlegP

Registered
QUOTE (EffectiveResume @ Jan 28 2009, 04:58 PM) Hi - I am seriously considering REIN membership and would very much like to speak to like-minded REIN Members. I am not sure if I should opt for the By-Mail membership or take the full membership.

In all honesty, cashflow is bit of a problem for me and while I think I can manage the full memebrship I want to make sure it really is worth it.

Can someone you has joined say in the last year or two contact me? You can email me and I will call or I can provide my contact details.

I really want to know how you have used REIN memebrship to `evolve` further in the world of real-estate ownership, etc.

Much appreciated.
ER

Hello ER,

I will try to be as objective as I can about benefits of REIN membership. My wife and I were REIN members for 17 months. Once our initial contract with REIN expired, we did not extend it primarily for my health reasons. Fortunately, that issue is behind, and I am also intending to re-join. So I will share my experience with you:

1) Cutting Edge research - absolutely, you will be able to get more information than you know what to do with. The good part is that in booming economy or in a crisis like right now, you will be given the information you need to have whether you invest in Alberta, Ontario, etc. Top 10 town reports with constnat updates are very valuable. You will also be provided the timing - when to buy, sell, etc. This is what I found the top benefit (again, it is just me. You might find someting different.)
2) Real Estate strategies - you will learn a lot of very useful information starting from Quickstart, and then going into Joint Venture secrets, best landlording practices, financing tricks of the trade with updates from Peter Kinch, etc. I think though REIN team tends to spend too much time talking about buying appreciable properties with extremely low cash flow. Maybe they changed it now - I don`t know. I took other real estate training before coming to REIN, and I think there is a variety of other strategies in Real Estate that do not get muh coverage in REIN meetings.
3) Networking - many responders indicate this one as a very important benefit. I would agree provided that you are comfortable in a room with 500+ people, and your networking skills are strong enough that you can find the way to approach people conversing with whom will be mutually beneficial. In my tenure with REIN, I found that during short windows of opportunity to talk to people, the most knowledgable and successful investors (and you will know very quickly who they are) have line-ups around them, and cannot spend much time with you. There are many people who are in the beginning of their Real Estate journey and have more questions then answers. Frankly, I find this on-line forum much more efficient at sharing knowledge, opinions, etc. than a REIN meeting.
4) Finding a Joint Venture Partner - again, if you are good at working the crowd, perhaps. Otherwise, if you quickly become a star and will be able to walk to the microphone and offer good deals to the room, maybe some will come talk to you. Generally, there are a lot more people in the room who, like you, don`t have the money to invest, and would like to find somebody who would invest with them.
5) Speakers - they range from Accountants and Lawyers to Life Coaches and Olympic champions. I like self-improvement, so this is not wasted on me. Some people don`t like it though. You know which one you are.
6) Mentorship - in REIN content it is the same as Networking. REIN does not really provide mentors, who will meet with you once per month to review your progress. It is left up to you to find your own mentor, and make your own arrangements.
7) Cost - well, weather $200/month is too expensive or not really depends on your budget. REIN team does its best to ensure you get your money`s worth, but as in all cases in life, some people inevitably end up doing better in any particular environment than others. REIN is no exception. There are stories here on-line from people who found these settings a perfect fit, and they are doing extremely well, whereas others seem to be struggling. Not because they are lazy or stupid, but because they have their limitations, and it will take them longer to reach the critical mass point.

In summary, REIN information is very useful, and I personally continue using it in my property acquisitions, management, joint venture presentations, etc. If you feel ready - don`t think twice. However, if this sounds overwhelming, then perhaps start by reading Don Campbell`s books and attending a Quickstart program.

Hope this helps.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
Hey Oleg, I really enjoyed your post... Figured I`d follow up on a couple key points you made

QUOTE (OlegP @ Jan 30 2009, 09:08 PM) 3) Networking - many responders indicate this one as a very important benefit. I would agree provided that you are comfortable in a room with 500+ people, and your networking skills are strong enough that you can find the way to approach people conversing with whom will be mutually beneficial. In my tenure with REIN, I found that during short windows of opportunity to talk to people, the most knowledgable and successful investors (and you will know very quickly who they are) have line-ups around them, and cannot spend much time with you. There are many people who are in the beginning of their Real Estate journey and have more questions then answers. Frankly, I find this on-line forum much more efficient at sharing knowledge, opinions, etc. than a REIN meeting.

I`m a fairly independent person (read: introvert) and agree that -- for me as well -- the forum is a much more efficient way of exchanging ideas and solutions. It may be because I deal with the web all the time
(at work and outside of it as well) that I find it a more natural setting and I know there are people who are chomping at the bit to go and talk to others, specific or not... So it`s there if you need it.

QUOTE (OlegP @ Jan 30 2009, 09:08 PM) 6) Mentorship - in REIN content it is the same as Networking. REIN does not really provide mentors, who will meet with you once per month to review your progress. It is left up to you to find your own mentor, and make your own arrangements.

... To continue with that thought I`ll just also say that although REIN doesn`t provide mentors, there are lots of people willing to take you under their wing and help you along the way when you`re starting out... That`s just the attitude that REIN seems to encompass. Everyone`s happy to see each other succeed and willing to help where they can.

That`s it! I`m leaving this thread alone now
... Plenty of information already for you to make a decision on. Good luck either way!

housingrental

Registered
How will I see / when? I've been on these boards for over a year and a member since April..

Lots of information... not valueable information...interesting? maybe.. informative.. maybe...

Yes reading books are cheaper... or even free...

Property management and RTA courses are more value added...

A quality ICI realtor should take care of the rest...

$2500 is much now, and I'ms ure always will be.. lots of other things to purchase...

Note I'm not on my 1st deal but 7th... and have cash for it.. ..

$2500 is still $2500...

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 30 2009, 11:53 PM)
you will see ..

such as ? reading a book ? watching Holmes on Homes on TV ? Take a $99 weekend special "nothing down" course ?

If $2500 is too much now .. then wait .. as you also need 10 times that for your first deal .. better more ..

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 31 2009, 07:45 PM) How will I see / when? ...
$2500 is still $2500...
you never know .. maybe 4 months in .. maybe 18 months in some speaker says s.th. or you meet the 28th person that mentions s.th. that rings exactly with a situation you are in .. and you will save or make $20,000 or $120,000 due to a change of course or a great deal or a new strategy or mistakes avoided !

Of course, you should also read books .. and take in free or $99 "no money down" events .. as they all teach you s.th. ..

housingrental

Registered
I seee what your saying.. I suppose you get more benefit from rein if you don`t already have access to a network of real estate investors....In my case, though I enjoy it the combination of cost and time commitment I think I`d be better off with my $200 per month back and 7 hours/month time back

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 1 2009, 12:01 PM) you never know .. maybe 4 months in .. maybe 18 months in some speaker says s.th. or you meet the 28th person that mentions s.th. that rings exactly with a situation you are in .. and you will save or make $20,000 or $120,000 due to a change of course or a great deal or a new strategy or mistakes avoided !

Of course, you should also read books .. and take in free or $99 "no money down" events .. as they all teach you s.th. ..

jarrettvaughan

Registered
QUOTE (EffectiveResume @ Jan 28 2009, 03:58 PM) In all honesty, cashflow is bit of a problem for me and while I think I can manage the full memebrship I want to make sure it really is worth it.

Most people spend 2500 a year at starbucks or Tims.

I have been a member for a year or so. REIN has been incredibly helpful for all of the reasons previously mentioned. I have cash shortages as well but make the sacrifices to be a member. I am living in France right now so I just get the stuff in the mail but when I am in Canada, i never miss a meeting. There is incredible value in going to the meetings for networking purposes. Not to get JV partners (although I am sure this happens) but to meet mentors and people who support you when you face challenges. Also, great place to meet lawyers, accountants, realtors, etc etc.

You wont regret it.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Feb 1 2009, 11:41 AM) In my case, though I enjoy it the combination of cost and time commitment I think I`d be better off with my $200 per month back and 7 hours/month time back

Then I don`t understand why you joined.
It could very well be that you are already WISE (Well I`ve Seen Everything) to the world.

Top Bottom