Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN membership

KrustyKrabs

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 20 2007, 07:52 PM) Any other potential rein members suddenly think that joining rein is a bad idea after reading what I`ve quote below? No offense intended but this sort of stuff scares me.

What is it exactly that scares you? Success?

That scares a lot of people.

It has been said that only when you manage this fear will you become wealthy.

I have just finished reading "Rich Dad/Poor Dad" by Kiyosaki.....very compelling.

I now believe that it is paramount that we teach our children wealth creation by way of "financial intelligence", instead of the typical....get up go to work for money, pay taxes, spend money, get up go to work for money, pay taxes.......etc etc.

Kudos to you Rebecca for preparing your children by teaching them "financial intelligence".

No B.S., just last week, I told my oldest daughter (9 years old), that she needed to study hard, to get good grades, so she could get to university, so that she could get a good paying job! I will NEVER tell her that again! Sure I will tell her to study and get good grades so that she can pursue any career that she wishes, but I am also going to teach her what I have only just recently learned.

That is, to create real wealth and freedom from a job, she must study to become financially intelligent and learn how to make money work for her! Sure wish I had have learned that one a LONG time ago.....but it`s NEVER too late!

This is the future revolution!

Glen

Ryan

Registered
I fail to see the negative in that post as well.

My wife and my 13 year old and I play the "Cashflow" game twice per week. At 13 he wants me to invest his birthday money in blue chips and re-vest his dividends. As parents we`re proud as heck that by the time he`s our age he`ll be able to retire as a direct result of the teachings we`re passing on to him.

Nika

Registered
Rebecca, Glen, Ryan

Thank you for your inspiring posts. I’m totally with you when it comes to educating our children.

I did the university thing and actually considered a life of academia for a while.....until my professor talked me out of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the education I have and it has certainly helped me in many facets of my life and has definitely shaped me into the person I am today.

My children are very young, but my husband and I already talk about how we will teach them ‘financial intelligence’ along with all the other fun things. Out intent is to teach them the principles we learned from REIN, both on the ‘financial intelligence’ front and on the ‘how to really enjoy life’ front.

If anyone out there has good suggestions/techniques/games that foster these principles, please pass along your ideas.

crispino

Registered
What is the cost? Is it tax deductible? I live in Toronto, how many meeting are there? what is included?
If I join, I would want my husband to you join as well, is there any packages? I just bought my first property a month a go, just from reading Don`s book..I would love to learn all that there is to know, and from reading all these posts its seems quite convincing..I just think that since my husband are doing this, I think its just as important for him to be there at the meetings to understand what this is all about. Also I am in the mortgage advisor..so I think that would benefit as well.

Please advise.

Thanks

Grant

Registered
Hi crispino,

You can find out more about membership at our website, or in the Membership FAQ. Most of your questions are answered there, but I`ll try to answer a few of them in this post as well.

There are monthly meetings in Toronto. All the benefits are outlined in the links that I gave, and there are many of them. We do have a special rate for your husband; he can join at half-price and receives all the same benefits that you do, though you share the Quickstart Home Study package. We definitely encourage spouses to join, as the support that they can offer you means a lot. I think your post shows that you understand that. Many members do use membership fees as a tax deduction. If you have any more questions after reading at the links that I gave, feel free to send me a Personal Message by clicking on my name and selecting "Send Message", or send an email to [email protected].

Cheers!

albainstar

Registered
I for one can see the value inthe REIN if you live where they have meetings. I would love to bbe able to even talk to other like minded people to get advice or motivation.

My question is for people who are members in a remote area, do you still see value in it?
I live in fort mcmurray and really want to start investing in real estate aggressivly. I have 1 property other than my principal and about to buy another,a dn would love some network support - but here is no rein meetings here-
would i still get value out of it?

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
QUOTE (Nika @ Nov 20 2007, 10:59 PM) Rebecca, Glen, Ryan

Thank you for your inspiring posts. I`m totally with you when it comes to educating our children.

I did the university thing and actually considered a life of academia for a while.....until my professor talked me out of it.

Don`t get me wrong, I love the education I have and it has certainly helped me in many facets of my life and has definitely shaped me into the person I am today.

My children are very young, but my husband and I already talk about how we will teach them `financial intelligence` along with all the other fun things. Out intent is to teach them the principles we learned from REIN, both on the `financial intelligence` front and on the `how to really enjoy life` front.

If anyone out there has good suggestions/techniques/games that foster these principles, please pass along your ideas.

Hi Nika,

One suggestion would be to play the board game called "Cashflow 101" or the "Cashflow Game for Kids" from Rich Dad Poor Dad. These games are excellent in teaching adults along with Children financial education. It is educating but very fun at the same time!

Grant

Registered
QUOTE (albainstar @ Nov 22 2007, 03:34 PM) I for one can see the value inthe REIN if you live where they have meetings. I would love to bbe able to even talk to other like minded people to get advice or motivation.

My question is for people who are members in a remote area, do you still see value in it?
I live in fort mcmurray and really want to start investing in real estate aggressivly. I have 1 property other than my principal and about to buy another,a dn would love some network support - but here is no rein meetings here-

There is still value in membership even if you can`t come to the meetings. By Mail membership is half-price, and you get access to all the research that REIN does, and you are sent recordings from the meetings, as well as the handouts. So while you don`t get to be there in person, you still get all the information. I know that we have many members who take advantage of this. Members also have access to Members-Only discussion on these forums, and I know that there are REIN members in Fort McMurray or who do business there who you could meet.

R

RussellWestcott

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 16 2007, 01:36 PM) but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy.Howdy, Invest4profit, thanks for your post. Regarding the question of the investment philosophy of the Real Estate Investment Network™, I`m not sure if you have had a chance to read either of REIN`s™ first 2 books. If not you may want to check out the following books.

Real Estate Investing in Canada

97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors

or the newest book to be released December 6th.

51 Success Stories from Canadian Real Estate Investors

This would be a great place to learn about the investing system, ideals, beliefs, philosophies, and look into the top line fundamentals behind the investment system.

Cheers
RW

PS...
not sure if you know that 100% of the author`s royalties are donated directly to Habitat for Humanity. To date the royalties from the books and donations from the members of REIN™ have raised over $311,000. These funds have been directly used to build almost four houses for people needing a hand up. So if you have read any of these books, or plan to, Habitat for Humanity thanks you in advance for you indirect donation to helping a deserving family.

BLongstreet

Registered
When I attended my first QuickStart training (an explanation of the Authentic Canadian Real Estate system), I too was sceptical about my ROI if I decided to become a member of REIN. I did what you`re doing - asking for the opinions of others. What I heard, what I`ve learned, and what I`ll pass on to you is... Don`t join just to be part of a great group. Join if you`re excited about real estate investing based on economic fundamentals. Join if you want to learn how to take the emotions out of investing and make decisions based on the numbers. Join if you don`t have time to do extensive economic research before making a buying decision, or if you don`t know where the best places for investment are. Join if you want to learn how to set up and run a real estate business. Join if you want to learn how to make your mortgage applications go to the top of the banker`s pile - and get approved!

There are thousands of reasons for joining, so if you`re serious about investing in Canadian real estate and you maintain a high standard of integrity in your business and personal dealings, consider joining REIN.

And the best of success to you.

invst4profit

Registered
Thank you Russell. I intend to put them on the top of my Xmas list. My wife always has trouble buying for me (tools mostly) so this should help both of us.

housingrental

Registered
Sucess doesn`t scare me - fear of losing money does - as it should everyone - leverage does have a potential negative remember - and when you don`t have many assets or income to start with and you start acquiring a massive portfolio in a short time you risk blow up - there are good reasons not to refinance and not to have a high L.T.V. purchases - There are market downturns, vacancies can increase, and rents can fall - you don`t want to leave yourself so stretched that you`re forced to sell in a down market.

Re rich dad poor dad - It`s cheerleading garbage - spending less than you make, and the being able to build wealth through positive cash flow and real estate takes a few words to explain - not a book - then gouging customers on learning systems and boards games I find unreal.

Being successfull in school can open a lot of doors - and certianly helps in landing a high paying job - which IS the easiest and most consistent way to build wealth - its a lot easier to save lots of $$$ and build wealth when you make $300k year instead of 30k year - Why would you tell your children otherwise??

QUOTE (KrustyKrabs @ Nov 20 2007, 08:54 PM) What is it exactly that scares you? Success?

That scares a lot of people.

It has been said that only when you manage this fear will you become wealthy.

I have just finished reading "Rich Dad/Poor Dad" by Kiyosaki.....very compelling.

I now believe that it is paramount that we teach our children wealth creation by way of "financial intelligence", instead of the typical....get up go to work for money, pay taxes, spend money, get up go to work for money, pay taxes.......etc etc.

Kudos to you Rebecca for preparing your children by teaching them "financial intelligence".

No B.S., just last week, I told my oldest daughter (9 years old), that she needed to study hard, to get good grades, so she could get to university, so that she could get a good paying job! I will NEVER tell her that again! Sure I will tell her to study and get good grades so that she can pursue any career that she wishes, but I am also going to teach her what I have only just recently learned.

That is, to create real wealth and freedom from a job, she must study to become financially intelligent and learn how to make money work for her! Sure wish I had have learned that one a LONG time ago.....but it`s NEVER too late!

This is the future revolution!

Glen

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Dear housingrental,

I met this lady once at one of those "get rich quick" one day free seminars that are only useful for motivation purposes, in my view. I basically go to listen. I think you can learn something from everyone, so I keep an open mind. Anyway, my Mom and I went to one last year and we sat beside a lady and while chatting we discovered she had been a REIN member. So, my Mom and I thought, oh cool, someone we will have something in common with. She asked us if we`d bought any properties and we told her all about our purchases. Then we asked her about what she had bought. Mom and I stood there stunned while she told us she was a REIN member for 4 years and had bought nothing. We discovered she enjoyed being a "Seminar Grad" after speaking with her further.

Why am I telling you this story? There`s no point in joining REIN if you are fearful to take action like this lady obviously was. Why would you spend money on REIN if you didn`t plan to use it? I certainly wouldn`t. It would be a total waste of my time.

Money is a renewable resource. There`s an abundance of it everywhere. I`m more afraid of not trying, and regreting not taking action than I ever will be of losing money. Now I admit, I would be sick to the stomach if I lost everything. I have diminished my chances of that ever happening by following the proven system that they teach in REIN. This education I value, because it has value and I can even keep track of the value by the actions that I have taken since I have joined.

Time is not a renewable resource. Once it`s past, you can never get it back. By making the decisions that I have over the past two years since I`ve joined REIN I have time. I have time to babysit my grandson. I have time to think and to read and to rest and to vacation and to do whatever I choose. I have time to make changes in my thinking and habits. I have time to connect with my kids. I am consistently happy because I have the time for the people I love. And because I have that time for the people I love, they benefit too. It`s contageous. I have time to work at my real estate business and spend time doing the things that I do best.

Housingrental quote:
"Being successfull in school can open a lot of doors - and certianly helps in landing a high paying job - which IS the easiest and most consistent way to build wealth - its a lot easier to save lots of $$$ and build wealth when you make $300k year instead of 30k year - Why would you tell your children otherwise?? "

I would argue that higher education does not build wealth. While higher education would be a plus for certain, it is not a necessity. Weath is built by people with inner strength, motivation, integrity, honesty, they possess open minds, they are independant. They have entrepreneurial spirits and vision. They are action takers. They may only possess all of those things and not have any higher education at all and become financially free in thier lifetime.

I can site 2 people in my immediate family that are finacially free. On has a Grade 12 education and one has a Grade 11 education.

I can site 4 people in my immediate family that have a university education and that live paycheck to paycheck.

My only point here is that "higher" education has nothing to do with wealth creation. I`m not saying it doesn`t have value, I`m just saying it has nothing to do with wealth creation. The education that I value is the education I`ve received through REIN. That is the education that has given me the ability to become finacially free. I`m glad that it could be bought for a reasonable price. The other education that is valuable to me is the education I receieve from home. My parents taught me that rich people were good, honest and generous. That was important to know. They taught me to dream and to want something more than the average person. They taught me to think. They taught me to question what I was taught in school about political views as we were educated by people that thought having a "highter" education was valuable instead of teaching us entrepreneurial skills and money management, etc.

One last note. I write all these personal messages, success stories, and try to encourage others, because this has been such a rush for me over the last 2 years. I never immagined financial freedom could ever happen to me.......... and although I would not consider myself financially free, I have planted the seeds so that it surely will.

EdRenkema

Registered
Rebecca,
Thanks for your inspirational posts. I`m totally with you on the mindset issue, money is renewable and time is not. It doesn`t matter how much money you `earn` you can still become wealthy or financially free if you change your mindset. Kiyosaki teaches people to get up every day and put $ into 3 piggy banks, one for savings, one for investing, and one for tithing (charitable giving). At the end of a month or 3 months use the $ for the labelled purpose. It doesn`t matter how much you contribute each day it matters that you do it. The point is anyone can do it but not everyone will do it. Doing it creates and fosters a mindset of wealth creation.
An intersting sidenote: think of two issues that are the most marketed in North America today, namely weight control and credit control (financial) yet ironically these two issues are those that people have the most personal control over.
Another interesting note, many wealthy investors may have an "earned` income of 30K per yr, many people earning 300K per yr or more live paycheque to paycheque, but ummm who pays more income tax???
My first RE agent was/is a person of great honesty and integrity who works very hard and earns a good income, 150 to 200K per yr. WHen it comes to RE investing he doesn`t get it. He thinks investing in negative cashflow properties is a good thing because it gives him a tax break. WHat goes on in someone`s mind to think losing money is a good thing??
The point is financial education is important, I finally joined this organization because I want to educate myself more and associate myself with like minded people. I`m now getting up every day looking forward to just that.
Ed R

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Russell,

I stole one of your favorite quotes to post here where it also belongs! :)

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent". ~ Calvin Coolidge ~

To the indecisive,

One more thing before I`m off to spend the weekend with my 17 year old daughter at her hockey tournament in Onoway. I`ve found that when I go to REIN meetings, I already know that I have something in common with the person sitting next to me. An interest in Real Estate. I`m either sitting by someone who I am able to help with my own knowledge and experience or I am sitting beside someone that is more than willing to help me. The friendships I have made through being a REIN member are fantastic. I feel lucky to be a part of such a fantasic organization. We all cheer each other on and that`s such a nice feeling.

jeremyfleming

Registered
QUOTE (albainstar @ Nov 22 2007, 03:34 PM) I for one can see the value inthe REIN if you live where they have meetings. I would love to bbe able to even talk to other like minded people to get advice or motivation.

Albainstar:
As you can see in my signature - I live in Grande Prairie, so I understand full well about joining from a remote location. It is my understanding that GP and Ft. McMunney are about the same distance from the Edmonton meetings??

Anyways, I used to drive down to Edmonton to attend the meetings..... leave at noon, go to the meeting, hop in my truck and drive back to GP to arrive home somewhere around 4am. YUCK!

But I went.

Fast forward about 2 years and I stopped going - too much hassle, and I got the CDs at home every month......... and bought nothing (real estate).

Fast forward another couple years, and I made a commitment to myself to attend as many meetings in a year as I can, and now I travel Westjet - I watch for the sales and buy my tickets several months in advance, so it really costs about the same as driving. If the airports burned down and I had to drive again.... I would.

Don`t get me wrong - the CDs are great - Don and Russ and the team provide unmatched info every month, but THE BIGGEST BENEFIT for me is getting in a room FULL of positive, like minded people who take action. It inspires me to take action. Coinicedence? Nope.

Have you noticed something on the forum? Some people are pesimistic, negative and seem to be living under a black cloud. If you look at those peoples profiles, you will notice that these same folks are not
REIN members. I am not picking on these folks - I am just pointing out the positive environment you will experience hanging out with members.

The funny thing is, one of the members I have met in the last few months through REIN was having the worst of luck with her investments, and even through the crappy times, she NEVER gave off a negative "vibe". She stayed as positive as anyone couild be through that situation - and was inspiring me - even though it "should" have been the other way around. (myaybe it was too)
style_emoticons

You won`t hang out with "Negative Normans" at REIN - they can`t see anything positive - even if it was hanging in front of their face (this FREE forum for instance).

If you want great education, fantastic comraderie, and inspiring people to hang out with (and advisors to help you through the rough spots) - you know where to go........

All the best,
Jeremy Fleming

PS - some of the biggest financial gains I have meade in the past 5 years have been because of other REIN members giving me advice that got me through bad sticking points in deals that most investors would have had to toss aside...... that in itself has more than paid for a lifetime of REIN for me.

gwasser

Registered
I joined REIN recently and still have to see whether it is worth my while. Having said that, I love the energy level and enthusiasm of the membership. Sometimes, though, people have naive expectations. An earlier poster pointed out the value of education and a more conservative attitude towards debt. I fully agree, though, that does not mean people with less education are write-offs.

The very strong response of the next poster who was less educated illustrated the issue very well. She showed and argued that there are many less educated people with lots of success, but then attributed that mostly to perseverance and disproportionably to the REIN Education.

As Robert Kyosaki and also the authors of "the Millionaire Next Door" and numerous other authors point out, many high income earners are not good at handling their prosperity. They also show that most millionaires have a higher education. So my bit in the bucket is: Enthusiasm and perseverance certainly help, especially when it gets people to take action. Education however does open a lot more doors; helps giving people tools for problem solving; and the higher income associated with many jobs that require education, will make investing a lot easier.

An investment career of 2 or 5 or even 10 years is very short and experienced investors are always prepared for the `bad days`. It is like the flue. When you are (financially) healthy, it is a lot easier to survive the (financial) flue, i.e. falling prices; high vacancies or high interest rates, than when you are financially weak (overleveraged). Strangely enough, it is those few days of flue, a market crisis, which may wipe out years of work. I have been investing for nearly 30 years and seen many set-backs. If you survive financially, they are usually stepping stones to more success. But if you are not prepared for those bad days, you`ll get wiped out! Hopefully you only have to start over and don`t get wiped out permanently!

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (albertarick @ Nov 24 2007, 05:50 PM) Kiyosaki? Read below....
http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html I`ll admit this was a rather disturbing read. I can`t comment on how accurate the background research on this web page is, but I do recall some wondering why, if RE investing or starting and running a business was as "easy" as RK seemed to make it, why more people weren`t doing it. Trying to answer that question was actually one of the reasons I picked up the book "RE Investing in Canada" - to look behind the curtain as it were.

On the other hand, there he was co-authoring books with Donald Trump, so he must have some credibility, no?

I can honestly say that Rich Dad Poor Dad opened my eyes to some legitimate concepts I hadn`t considered before, and to new possibilities.

However, if there`s no real public information on RK`s holding, past RE activity, what businesses he owned, or who "Rich Dad" really was - then that would impair the credibility of the information he`s selling. And if half of what Mr Reed`s asserting is true - why on earth was Donald Trump having anything to do with him?

Sometimes it`s hard to know who to trust.

GarthChapman

Registered
Tim, I think what really matters is that you trust yourself - that you trust your reactions to what you see and read and hear. Your gut will tell you what makes good sense, and it will usually be right. And remember that we`re all different, so what works for one may not work for another. Those who write or teach generally do so about what works for them. And if they have proven systems to allow others to tap what they know then they offer something that others can actually put into use. Don`s book `Real Estate Investing in Canada` and his teaching at REIN meetings is a good example of that concept at work making a difference in peoples` lives.

Top Bottom