Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Removing Appliances From Non-Paying Units

GrahamWhite

Registered
Someone mentioned in a post about removing a washer and dryer from a unit they were having problems with. I have a unit in Red Deer where the court lag time is 6 weeks. I have already gone through the process once with this tenant whose parents came up with all the funds at the last minute, so I know they`re not moving without a court order and a baliff showing up.

I`m wondering about going in and removing all of the appliances. The tenant is already two months behind and I think this just might get them out early. I don`t care if they call the LTB or even if I have to go to court - I`m wondering what the worst that could happen is as I figure this would make things unlivable enough and get them out without me losing another month of rent?

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
If you remove the cooking and food storage appliances, the unit will not meet the minimum housing standards. The tenant could lodge a complaint to the Board of Health and you could be charged. I don`t know what the fines are, but I know a friend who was fine $55,000 for balcony violations in Edmonton. Capital Health doesn`t fool around here!

Best to take the high road to do the legal eviction, then try to collect later on. I`ve managed to garnish wages in the past, provded you know where they live in the future.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom