Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renovation costs

3Girls

For those of you that have paid to have renovations done, could you provide a rough estimate of the ratio of the cost of materials to the cost of labour i.e. 50/50 split on the total cost. I have had a few different responses on this on what a rough guide to use should be. In our case it is on an open basement that is being suited.

Nir

REIN Member
A rule of thumb I heard is 1:2 ratio 1=mateiral 2=labour. it really depends on the work done though.

GarthChapman

Registered
I agree with the post above on the 2 to 1 ratio of labour over materials, for a typical renovation.

But I think I am reading that this is new construction of a suite in an unfinished basement. In that case I`m thinking you should expect to spend around $40 per square foot, assuming all new materials for the kitchen (that`s a big cost item in this job, cabinetry and appliances are expensive). If you were just `finishing` a basement you would be in the $30 per sq ft range.

I think the ratio, based on what I described above, would be around 1 to 1.

You can save lots of money by purchasing used kitchen cabinets and really shopping around for the flooring and plumbing fixtures - those are the big ticket items in this project.

Hope that helps,

JeffSmith

Registered
If the suite is in Edmonton you will need to meet the egress bedroom window requirements, a separate heating and ventilation system for the suite, hardwired smoke detectors interconnected with the main floor and enclosed furnace rooms etc... A typical conforming basement suite would be in the $30-$40/Sq.Ft. range depending on the extent of window enlarging, ventilation, heating, noise abatement etc.

RedlineBrett

Registered
We have put in several basement suites this year and Garth`s numbers are almost bang on. 40/ft totally unfinished, ~30 if plumbing and electrical are already in place and it`s just refinishing and moving the odd wall around.

QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Nov 15 2008, 12:34 PM) I agree with the post above on the 2 to 1 ratio of labour over materials, for a typical renovation.

But I think I am reading that this is new construction of a suite in an unfinished basement. In that case I`m thinking you should expect to spend around $40 per square foot, assuming all new materials for the kitchen (that`s a big cost item in this job, cabinetry and appliances are expensive). If you were just `finishing` a basement you would be in the $30 per sq ft range.

I think the ratio, based on what I described above, would be around 1 to 1.

You can save lots of money by purchasing used kitchen cabinets and really shopping around for the flooring and plumbing fixtures - those are the big ticket items in this project.

Hope that helps,

3Girls

QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 18 2008, 01:51 PM) We have put in several basement suites this year and Garth`s numbers are almost bang on. 40/ft totally unfinished, ~30 if plumbing and electrical are already in place and it`s just refinishing and moving the odd wall around.

This is in Saskatoon. It is a totally new build. My initial quote came back at $21,000 for material, $24,500 for labour. This is on a 1,000 sq ft basement.

Maurice

RedlineBrett

Registered
lol, pretty close to $40/ft! Never hurts to ask them "is this the best you can do?"

Make sure you can get 3 bedrooms out of that 1000 ft, and do your best to get as much pass-through natural light as you can for top rents.

QUOTE (3Girls @ Nov 18 2008, 03:54 PM) This is in Saskatoon. It is a totally new build. My initial quote came back at $21,000 for material, $24,500 for labour. This is on a 1,000 sq ft basement.

Maurice

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (3Girls @ Nov 18 2008, 02:54 PM) This is in Saskatoon. It is a totally new build. My initial quote came back at $21,000 for material, $24,500 for labour. This is on a 1,000 sq ft basement.

Maurice

The ratio looks maybe a bit high on the labour end of it. I`d work on trying to reduce that by about 10%. Think like governments have to now. Where can you cut back? Used or less expensive cabinetry? Less costly flooring? How much might the Contractor reduce his price by?

Top Bottom