Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renovations and building costs

r3properties

Registered
Anybody out there interested in discussing new build costs,sharing imformation,tips,good and bad experiences.Help each other out by recomending tradesmen etc.

Could spark up some intresting discussions!

John Groves

Realestate Investor/Carpenter/

Toronto

Janice

Registered
QUOTE (r3properties @ Feb 17 2008, 12:43 PM) Anybody out there interested in discussing new build costs,sharing imformation,tips,good and bad experiences.Help each other out by recomending tradesmen etc.

Could spark up some intresting discussions!

John Groves

Realestate Investor/Carpenter/

Toronto

Hello

Interesting that you are in Etobicoke, so am I . My husband and I are just starting our first tear down and build here in Etobicoke. We are investors and he is a general contractor. we are just starting out ,so not much feedback to give you yet but we have a few tradesmen and are always looking for more connections. We are planning to tear down in March and go from there. We have drawings in with the city for approval right now and that has taken longer than expected and the rules are more strict here in Etobicoke regarding GLA and maximum sqare footage etc. architect costs have also been more than expected . Do you have more experience ?

Janice

JP Investments Inc
Etobicoke

r3properties

Registered
Hi Janice

Lets stay in contact im sure we will be able to help each other out in the future.My skills are all aspects of carpentry + i have a lot of sub trade contacts.
Im thinking of doing a tear down myself soon so cant wait to pick your brains.

John

kabuku

Registered
Hi Janice and John,
Great idea for a thread John.
I am contractor in the GTA as well. We used to do everything from basements to bathrooms but now we focus on windows and doors which is where we started 20 odd years ago.
I don`t know much about costing new builds, but I do know reno prices. I also know a few subtrades but to be honest the ones I know are semi retired or retired.
I think the most common mistake inverstors and homeowner make is vastly underestimating the cost and duration of most projects. How many times has a realestate agent told you you can put in a basement apartment for 5K? LOL. Anyway, I`ll try to contribute some insights if I can.
Regards, Brian Anderson
www.andersonwindowsanddoors.ca

dplummer

Registered
Great topic! I`m a restoration contractor specializing in water, mould, asbestos remediation for about 25 years. Happy to learn & share idea`s.

Doug

GarthChapman

Registered
Maybe this should be a separate sub-forum, with it`s own threads on various subjects as they come up for discussion.

r3properties

Registered
Its great to see people having their say on this subject,I think we should encourage trades people ,architects,contractors,home inspectors etc etc to all add their experience to this subject.I have been speaking to a lot of people and the average costing im getting for a new build home of average spec is around $150 a sq ft.im sure this site could help people for all sorts of reno costings.PLEASE everybody contribute

John Groves /B.B.G Carpentry

Top Bottom