Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rent arrears - Tenants did an overnight move

llee

Registered
Hi,

My tenants (now ex-tenants) did not pay August and September rent (I did give them N9 on the date of no payment, and I was about to file to the board). They did an overnight move on the weekend, and now the unit is empty.

From their facebook wall, they`re moving back to North Ontario. I called them numerous time, but it all went to voicemail. They owe me $2,680.

I know some people will suggest me I should move on - learn a lesson. However, has anyone had experienced or recommendation with rent arrears collection agency? I only have tenants cell phone number (it can be changed anytime), their emergency contacts on application (parents), facebook page, and their driver`s licence number. I do not know their new address to serve any mails.

Any advice is welcome.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
First concentrate on getting your property re-rented to equity building tenants. Don`t cut corners.

Then you`ll need to find out your ex-tenants place of employment and/or their banking information to have any luck in collections.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
This has happened a couple of times to me as well over the years - the system is not your friend in this case. In BC, the RTO says that if you can`t get your tenant`s forwarding address to send them notifications of hearings, then you are out of luck. And of course, how many tenants will tell you when and/or where they are going when they owe you money?

I`d like to hear how people have successfully dealt with these types of issues and how landlords can protect themselves. It`s unbelieveable that someone can flat out steal from you and you can do nothing to protect yourself.

I`ve gotten pretty disillusioned with the system lately - but Facebook certainly has been a great tenant locator/screener for us in the past.

Bottom line for me is, when this happens eat the loss and carry on. The system is broken for landlords.

invst4profit

Registered
http://www.ontariolandlord.ca/forum/

Try asking your questions on the above site. Many of the LLs on that site have extensive experience with delinquent tenants and are very well versed in both the ontario RTA and any possible recourse you may have.

Small claims court is likely your best recourse but you do need to have contact info. There drivers license may be sufficient but SI# would be best.

When they applied and you screened did you not collect all pertinent info at that time to complete a credit check.

PHD

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Sep 20 2010, 11:03 AM) Hi,

My tenants (now ex-tenants) did not pay August and September rent (I did give them N9 on the date of no payment, and I was about to file to the board). They did an overnight move on the weekend, and now the unit is empty.

From their facebook wall, they`re moving back to North Ontario. I called them numerous time, but it all went to voicemail. They owe me $2,680.

I know some people will suggest me I should move on - learn a lesson. However, has anyone had experienced or recommendation with rent arrears collection agency? I only have tenants cell phone number (it can be changed anytime), their emergency contacts on application (parents), facebook page, and their driver`s licence number. I do not know their new address to serve any mails.

Any advice is welcome.

Get a good paralegal to put a judgement on the credit. That way if they ever apply for credit anywhere, they will have to take care of you first.

invst4profit

Registered
The plus about small claims court is they respect your lease agreement as a legally binding contract (unlike the LTB) and if the ex tenant wishes to defend themselves they will be forced to return to Ottawa to do so.
Assuming you are successful in getting a ruling you can garnish there wages (government benefits are not garnish-able). Until they pay it will prevent them from getting credit in the future. Many LLs have been successful in receiving payment years later when the tenant tries to buy something on credit (furniture, car etc) and discover they can`t until they pay you and you clear there record as PHD mentioned.

Top Bottom