Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RENTAL AD REVIEW!

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
What do you guys think if my ad, is it too anal? lol. Any suggestions appreciated.

Beautiful NEWLY BUILT 1600 sq. ft semi-detached home available for rent; within walking distance to Centennial Beach and a short drive to the GO station. This 2 story home features a 9 ft. ceiling open concept main floor with powder room and walk out to a 10’x18’ deck. The upstairs floor features 2 generously sized bedrooms with his and hers closets in the master bedroom and a beautiful 2 sink bath.

Features include:
* Stainless steel appliances incl. dishwasher, double stainless steel sink and breakfast bar in kitchen
* 9 ft. ceiling height on main floor
* Larger bedroom can accommodate 2 beds for kids
* 1.5 bathrooms
* Private gated backyard with 10’x18' deck
* 2 parking spots, one in garage and one on driveway
* Laminate flooring throughout home
* Central Air Conditioning
* Laundry Facilities

*Please note the basement is not included in the rent, the house is in process of legalizing the basement as a 2nd suite.

Available from January 7, 2017.
$1,450* plus utilities. 1 year lease required.
No smoking. Pets may be considered.
Tenant Insurance required.

*Price includes $50/month deduction for tenant taking care of snow removal and lawn maintenance.

Requirements:
** Employment Confirmation, Credit Check Report, First & Last Month Deposit Upon Approval, References. Proof of income will be required.

Message us today for more information and showing appointments. Thank Your!

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi there, this sounds like a lovely home and I would really showcase that more. Consider writing it as more of a story and highlight what the benefit of these features are to the ideal tenant you would like to attract. What's in it for them? Give your prospective tenants a feel for what they will experience with your home. Open it with "As you walk through the front door you will love.... or you will immediately been drawn to...." something like that. What are some of the other great features of the neighbourhood? I would personally take out the "Requirements". It's good to provide clarity however you could do that with your phone screening. Take out the $50/month deduction part, advertise it for $1450 and write the snow removal part into the lease, along with verbal confirmation when you do your showings. I found it a little confusing. As far as I know, all rental websites have it built in for you to plug in the price so to make your life easier and to make this something you don't need to constantly update when you have a vacancy, consider taking out the price altogether in the body of your ad. The "you" in Thank You has an "r". I would also consider taking out the information about the basement and simply state that it's a main floor suite. It doesn't benefit the suite you're renting. Finally, provide plenty of really clean, warm pictures. This is a great home and good pictures will be a huge benefit.

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hey Marnie thanks for the advice. I totally changed up my ad....i like it now!! i did keep some of the requirements as i find it scares of the deadbeats though.

Thanks again

kfort

Registered
Agreed w much of the above, especially the story aspect of it. If you happen to leave the requirements in, word it as "income verification" not employment... wouldn't want folks to think you're discriminating against those on social assistance.

I would also say "pets considered at an additional fee".. but honestly I would decide whether or not you want them prior.

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Agreed w much of the above, especially the story aspect of it. If you happen to leave the requirements in, word it as "income verification" not employment... wouldn't want folks to think you're discriminating against those on social assistance.

I would also say "pets considered at an additional fee".. but honestly I would decide whether or not you want them prior.

I honestly don't mind small pets but I always keep that line in. I also follow up each hit with a pre-screening questioner asking them to describe the pet. This avoids them hiding the pet.

kfort

Registered
Yes do that. Get a city tag # as well and make sure they know it needs to have a license at all times. These often expire Jan 1.

I've found that for my pet friendly units placing "PET FRIENDLY" as the first two words of my ad gets over double the click through. Checking the "pet friendly" box on kijiji (locally, the only useful avenue of advertising) also gets nearly double the replies. That's why I suggested picking one or the other

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Kfort how do you handle applicants you want nothing to do with. Example i have 3 20 year olds applying, do i simply ignore them or send them a bs excuse like my viewings are all booked for this week kinda deal? What if they see the ad running the following week. Any insight on how to handle this type of situation?

kfort

Registered
Everyone gets my auto response w 9 or 10 questions, if you search here under my name it'll pop up somewhere as I posted it fairly recently. This eliminates ~1/3rd who don't fill it out. That's fine w me.

1/3rs don't fill it out completely so I analyze their responses and do a quick Google on their name/ phone number or similar if I think they might qualify.

1/3rd fill it out entirely, if it is not satisfactory I delete their email.

Done. That's it.

If they reply again or ask why they haven't heard I either fire them another pre-screening form or ignore them.

For one of my properties 50% of folks who apply have no documentable income. By that I mean they are on welfare and ask if that's ok. I tell them of course it is, I'll just need some proof of the amount they are receiving. Every single one the last 9 years has disappeared when I mention that.

You are NOT required to give people a reason for anything. And you are better off not giving them a reason.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Hey Marnie thanks for the advice. I totally changed up my ad....i like it now!! i did keep some of the requirements as i find it scares of the deadbeats though.

Thanks again
You're most welcome!

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Everyone gets my auto response w 9 or 10 questions, if you search here under my name it'll pop up somewhere as I posted it fairly recently. This eliminates ~1/3rd who don't fill it out. That's fine w me.

1/3rs don't fill it out completely so I analyze their responses and do a quick Google on their name/ phone number or similar if I think they might qualify.

1/3rd fill it out entirely, if it is not satisfactory I delete their email.

Done. That's it.

If they reply again or ask why they haven't heard I either fire them another pre-screening form or ignore them.

For one of my properties 50% of folks who apply have no documentable income. By that I mean they are on welfare and ask if that's ok. I tell them of course it is, I'll just need some proof of the amount they are receiving. Every single one the last 9 years has disappeared when I mention that.

You are NOT required to give people a reason for anything. And you are better off not giving them a reason.
Agreed, often prospective tenants weed themselves out. And if you do get an applicant that is not a fit for you and your property, thank them for their time and say "we've decided to rent to somebody else". Even if you do not have someone lined up now, you will have someone else in the future that is more suitable for your property. As advised above, no need to give a reason, just reiterate "we've decided to rent to somebody else". This was invaluable advice from REIN early in my real estate investment business!

Top Bottom