Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rental Listing Sites?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering your favourite rental listing site to post your rentals, and which one works the best?
What do you like and not like about them..?

Just doing some research so we can fill our vacancies faster. We have them in Red Deer, Edmonton, Calgary and Grande Prairie..

Any input would be great!!

Thanks

thejules

REIN Member
www.gottarent.com By far my favourite rental listings website...

Jack

Registered
RentFaster.ca is incredible for Calgary.

Might wanna take some glucosamine sulfate for your elbow in advance for all the phone calls that you`ll be getting
style_emoticons

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Oct 3 2008, 08:09 AM) RentFaster.ca is incredible for Calgary.

Might wanna take some glucosamine sulfate for your elbow in advance for all the phone calls that you`ll be getting
style_emoticons

LOL- They should use that line as their marketing By Line! Nice work Jack!

The sites I use change with the Google Rankings. I will play the role of the tenant (i.e search Google with different search terms) and use the ones that the tenants would see if they were searching that month. The two mentioned above are often very good performers for our suites. Key is to list them on many sites (it is cheap advertising).

QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Oct 3 2008, 09:31 AM) LOL- They should use that line as their marketing By Line! Nice work Jack!

The sites I use change with the Google Rankings. I will play the role of the tenant (i.e search Google with different search terms) and use the ones that the tenants would see if they were searching that month. The two mentioned above are often very good performers for our suites. Key is to list them on many sites (it is cheap advertising).

Thanks Don,
Great Point!!

mponte

Registered
I like to use Kijiji and Rentboard. They are both very good but Kijiji is by far the best and it`s free.

giselleportenier

Registered
Does anyone have any good advice for where and how is best to post in the GTA?
We`ve got a current vacancy which is a bit higher end--3 bedrooms.

thanks!
Giselle

wgraham

REIN Member
I just bought an up down in Calgary and took ads out with Rentfaster, Kijiji and MyReinSpace. Within 24 hours I had about 2 dozen responses and over 100 hits per site from rentfaster and kijiji.

I find with my rentfaster inquiries that the tenants are much more in tune with what they want and what I am providing. Therefore, I don`t need to filter as much. I also really like the site itself as it is very easy to use for both landlord and tenant as well as quite economical.

I find with kijiji that I get A LOT of "is this suite still available" inquiries. Most don`t lead anywhere.

I just put a call into gottarent.com. I used to use them when they had a flat fee one year membership. They still have REIN specials but I am wondering if others are using this site and can provide some feedback. I am not seeing it when I use google which concerns me a little.

I would love to see the online sites provide more data to the public like average rents in any given area and vacancy rates if possible. I would pay more for that sort of data any day of the week.

Lastly, is anyone taking ads out in the paper anymore. I went to take out two ads but it would have cost me close too $300 for what I wanted!!! In the end I think I would have gotten more "is this suite still available" and not great tenants. I still find the paper is better in smaller towns like Okotoks and Cochrane but it doesn`t seem to make sense for the bigger cities.

my 2 cents,
W

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Oct 3 2008, 09:31 AM) The sites I use change with the Google Rankings. I will play the role of the tenant (i.e search Google with different search terms) and use the ones that the tenants would see if they were searching that month.

Remember, results look quite different from place to place, both Canada/US and east/west. When Don searches from his place in BC trying to pick a site for his building in Toronto, the Ontario searchers might be seeing quite different results.

stepchuk

REIN Member
Great point. We use different sites depending on which city our vacancy is in. I have found that for Edmonton and area specifically, Rentboard.ca has garnered the best results for us. We also like to use kijiji as it`s free, although I agree that you do get alot of bogus inquiries from that site.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (giselleportenier @ Oct 7 2008, 12:01 AM) Does anyone have any good advice for where and how is best to post in the GTA?
We`ve got a current vacancy which is a bit higher end--3 bedrooms.

thanks!
Giselle

I`ve used kijiji and got quite a lot of enquiries (though the ad was also hijacked by a scammer). A lot of people in Toronto use viewit.ca (though I find it hard to search - too many listings as they`ve only divided Toronto into 4 areas). I think if you have a sign outside the house and people can see the View It ID# on the sign it might be OK.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (wgraham @ Oct 6 2008, 11:53 AM) I find with kijiji that I get A LOT of "is this suite still available" inquiries. Most don`t lead anywhere.
So we`re new to the game and don`t have much experience fielding calls yet. What`s the problem with someone asking if something is "still available"? Seems a natural thing to ask...

llee

Registered
My tenants told me on kijiji or craiglist, there`re lots of scams. They inquired about 10 rental ads, and more than half of the replies said that the landlords are out of town or there are many applicants. They asked the potential tenents to send in cash or paypal to secure the spot (even without seeing it).

Thanks,
Lucas

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (CLW @ Oct 21 2008, 09:44 PM) So we`re new to the game and don`t have much experience fielding calls yet. What`s the problem with someone asking if something is "still available"? Seems a natural thing to ask...

No problem with that question, prefilter those people by simply updating your ad once a week indicating the days date and still available using the edit fuction.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
I have rent ads online on most of these sites but still my best results have been from signs on the street here in Edmonton. I put signs up in front of all my properties as they are in the same area and that way I get more exposure and less risk to fines from signs in the boulevard, although I usually take my chances with those as well.

GarthChapman

Registered
For our Calgary properties we post a `For Rent` sign in the front window and post our ad on www.Rentfaster.ca - and we are getting results continue to be good enough that we don`t advertise anywhere else, even in this market which is certainly softer than the last couple of years.

Top Bottom