Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rental property in Quebec

Avoidconfusion

Registered
I have been researching properties all over Canada and one province that keeps coming up with good price to rent ratio is Quebec. I know a lot of these places are depressed and probably not the best places to buy but some of them are doing well and have low vacancy rates and good employment.
Are there pitfalls or major deterents (besides wanting to seperate from us).
Do they restrict ownership to Quebec residents?
Do they crush you in property taxes?
Insurance difficulties?
I know there is a language barrier, that could be difficult but not impossile. If anybody has experience I would appreciate any information.
Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Avoidconfusion @ Dec 18 2008, 08:32 PM) I have been researching properties all over Canada and one province that keeps coming up with good price to rent ratio is Quebec. I know a lot of these places are depressed and probably not the best places to buy but some of them are doing well and have low vacancy rates and good employment.
Are there pitfalls or major deterents (besides wanting to seperate from us).
Do they restrict ownership to Quebec residents?
Do they crush you in property taxes?
Insurance difficulties?
I know there is a language barrier, that could be difficult but not impossile. If anybody has experience I would appreciate any information.
Thanks

I own 2 condos in Quebec .. thus I am NOT an expert .. but here is my view:
a) rent control even on newly rented units
b) most moves happen July 1
c) higher corruption
d) high taxes
e) high unemployment
f) continued fear of leaving Canada, thus low investment
g) high % of renters
h) language barrier
i) decent, low prices

In hindsight it was a mistake to buy in Quebec, but I`ll stick it out for a while ..

invst4profit

Registered
I have also heard it is much more difficult to get good trustworthy property management for those not close to there investments.
There may be some prejudice issues regarding investors from outside the province when it comes to dealing with management companies.

Top Bottom