Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rentcheck corp

EdRenkema

Registered
I started the registration process with rentcheckcorp last wkend by sending them an email. No reply and since I was away Sunday and Monday, I didn`t get back to them till Tuesday. Then I phoned them, voicemail and still no reply. Finally I heard from them late in the day and faxed in necessary documents. I get an email back next day indicating they need verification of one of my rentals which they had since I sent them my mortgage acceptance letter, settled that on the phone. They however cannot read my drivers license from the fax so I go to a copy centre and get it blown up to the size of a full page and fax it in, still not good. Finally the guy at the copy centre decides to take a photo of my drivers license and emails it in - that works. By this time the staff at Rentcheck seem to be tired of me and are giving me distinct cold shoulder, guess what? I`m tired of them to.I`m away Wednesday evng and Thursday and get some decent sleep Thursday after being up all night Wednesday night (US Customs BS) and Friday morning I`m tired and cranky. I get a phone call from Rentcheck stating I am registered in their system but cannot use Equifax for credit checks since I am required to have them inspect my file storage facilities to confirm they are suitable and by the way there is an additional $60 charge for this.
Ever get told the wrong thing at the wrong time???
I launch into a rant quesitioning their tactics as pure opportunism targeting me as a well heeled investor and coercing additional dollars from my supposedly deep pockets. Secondly I quesiton them as to why they come up with this time consuming request on a Friday when I spent a whole week getting into their system and have several tenant viewings of my property and will require use of credit checks for any possible applicants. - No answer
. I request a phone call from one of their supervisors which is confirmed but no call - no reply.

Am I being unreasonable here?
Why is it so hard to get set up on their system?
At this point I`m so frustrated I`m ready to hire a property manager to do the rentup, I`ve done a full reno and that alone has stressed me out due to contractor hold ups and I`m still not done my reno, its going painfully slow.

TerryF

Registered
Have you tried Tenant Verification Services? They ask a few questions but but when we signed up it was only 1/2 hour or so later that we were approved and able to request reports. No sign up fees, only fees when you access the reports. Be sure to indicate you are a REIN member on the application form because you will get a discount. Credit reports are about $16.00 and Equifax and TransUnion reports are both available.

As far as the site inspection goes, it is a new thing as of June,2008 but only if you intend to obtain an Equifax report. TransUnion still have no requirement for a site inspection. Here is the info on TVS site:

On June 1st/2008 new Equifax Policy stipulates that all End Users (Landlords) must have a site inspection of their Office whether home based or not by a Certified Inspector, (generally a Realtor in your area) to determine if the Office, meets the criteria that has been set out as noted in the check list just below.

Criteria for site Inspection - Click here

The cost is $54.00 and if your office is in your residence then it is an annual inspection.
If you do not wish to have a site inspection you still have the option of obtaining a Trans Union Credit Report (no site inspection required yet for Trans Union).

You must advise TVS via [email protected] that you wish to have a site inspection if you wish to obtain the Equifax Credit Report.

TommyK

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Sep 26 2008, 07:29 PM) I started the registration process with rentcheckcorp last wkend by sending them an email. No reply and since I was away Sunday and Monday, I didn`t get back to them till Tuesday. Then I phoned them, voicemail and still no reply. Finally I heard from them late in the day and faxed in necessary documents. I get an email back next day indicating they need verification of one of my rentals which they had since I sent them my mortgage acceptance letter, settled that on the phone. They however cannot read my drivers license from the fax so I go to a copy centre and get it blown up to the size of a full page and fax it in, still not good. Finally the guy at the copy centre decides to take a photo of my drivers license and emails it in - that works. By this time the staff at Rentcheck seem to be tired of me and are giving me distinct cold shoulder, guess what? I`m tired of them to.I`m away Wednesday evng and Thursday and get some decent sleep Thursday after being up all night Wednesday night (US Customs BS) and Friday morning I`m tired and cranky. I get a phone call from Rentcheck stating I am registered in their system but cannot use Equifax for credit checks since I am required to have them inspect my file storage facilities to confirm they are suitable and by the way there is an additional $60 charge for this.
Ever get told the wrong thing at the wrong time???
I launch into a rant quesitioning their tactics as pure opportunism targeting me as a well heeled investor and coercing additional dollars from my supposedly deep pockets. Secondly I quesiton them as to why they come up with this time consuming request on a Friday when I spent a whole week getting into their system and have several tenant viewings of my property and will require use of credit checks for any possible applicants. - No answer
. I request a phone call from one of their supervisors which is confirmed but no call - no reply.

Am I being unreasonable here?
Why is it so hard to get set up on their system?
At this point I`m so frustrated I`m ready to hire a property manager to do the rentup, I`ve done a full reno and that alone has stressed me out due to contractor hold ups and I`m still not done my reno, its going painfully slow.

Similar frustration here.

I am not going to pin-point any names, but I submitted my application last week. Then they returned my email saying that I need to supply a valid driver license and proof of the property. So I went to Staples and photocopied 3 copies of my license in different tone/brightness. Like your experience, they said that my license is hard to read so I have to submit again. So I scanned the faxed copy into my computer and sent it via email. Then they got back to me saying that my address on my license doesn`t match my current address provided on application. I explained to them that I moved from Vancouver to Edmonton and I haven`t changed my license (still BC`s). So I scanned my previous tax statement to prove that I used to own the previous property; and I also faxed them my purchase agreement (which I had previously faxed to them, but they also said they were too dark to read; so I had to scanned the agreement and sent it via email).

We exchanged a couple emails in regard to my different addresses. I started to get a little annoyed as I already told them my situation. I sent my recent utility bill to prove my current address and my mortgage document to prove my purchase. I specified that I would need their service by this weekend because I need my potential renters to be able to sign on their credit check consent form (that is the whole point why I am going through Rentcheck). Well, all my efforts went wasted. It`s already the weekend and I haven`t heard back from them.

I thought it was going to be easy, but it took way longer than I anticipated.

Regards,
Tommy

rymac

REIN Member
They asked me to send some documents I forgotten. I wish they mention the required proof needed on the application. Other than that their quick to do the searches and I`ve now had only good experiences.

My biggest problem with the application was one of their employees complete ignorance to email etiquette. My first contact with them was a reply to my application, one sentence, send us this. It was so rude it set a sour tone to the whole the process.

EdRenkema

Registered
I am now accessing alternative methods for credit checks due to relative and prudent advice from one of my group mentors.
Thank you!

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (YLCorporation @ Sep 28 2008, 06:11 AM) Ed: May i ask how you find mentors?

Thanks

Great question, mentors are everywhere. Participate in this forum, ask relevant questions and provide facts as to location and situation.
Additionally provide something for other people and it will come back to you, it is the law of reciprocation - when you give you will receive back.
In my situation we have a mastermind group of Hamilton investors that meets the second Sunday following each REIN workshop. This meeting is not restricted to REIN members or even active investors, the ony requirement is participation and that is a nobrainer.
REIN is a network of mentorship providing members with over 3000 active members to tap into for knowledge and a comprehensive database of forms and facts.
One thing I don`t do is go and ask someone to be my mentor, that happens on its own if I begin with the mindset of wanting to help others.

Top Bottom