Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renting 2nd house out! Help!

zimnicki

Registered
Hey guys, just bought another house, and will be getting it on april 1, and like to have it rented out for the 1st as well, what are some secerts, or methods you use to get renters in, i have used in the past, kijiji, and usedwinnipeg.com to advertise. what are some of your methods, or incentives to attract renters to your place! any help would be great!

Michael

MichaelBradfield

Registered
Hi - we used 6 signs that we placed in the neighbourhood of our rental property.
The signs had the address of the rental unit, said that it had 3 bedrooms, and gave our phone number.
They had stakes that go into the ground (or into the snow). We got about one third of our calls
from the signs.

andrewsimpson

Registered
QUOTE (MichaelBradfield @ Mar 14 2009, 11:07 PM) Hi - we used 6 signs that we placed in the neighbourhood of our rental property.
The signs had the address of the rental unit, said that it had 3 bedrooms, and gave our phone number.
They had stakes that go into the ground (or into the snow). We got about one third of our calls
from the signs.
We also found that the most response from our advertising was from signage around the property. Make sure they are visible for people driving and walking by,

writeabooknow

Registered
Hi! Here`s a flyer that brought a flood of calls, (some I had to answer before I had finished distributing all the flyers). Remember that you`d pay a realtor or a tenant finder 80 to 100% of a month`s rent to do the job, so make the reward worth while. The only thing I would have added to make this one better is a five-point list at the bottom of the kind of people we DIDN`T want: "Don`t ask your friend to call if they`ve been evicted, if they don`t have a job, if they know they have a lousy credit rating, or if they`re thinking of a lease less than 15 months long."Hope this one helps.Cheers,
Steve Manning

P.S. It might not show on the post, but that headline, $500 Cash! is in bold and takes up about one-third of the page.

From the new owners of 319 Dovedale.

[/size]

$500 cash!

We`re just delighted to have purchased the house at 319 Dovedale
. The neighbourhood is outstanding, the people are friendly and we look forward to meeting both you and your family.

Donna and I own several properties in Whitby. It`s a great city and growing by leaps and bounds. Now we`re looking to find just the right people
who would like to live at 319 Dovedale. And that`s where you come in.

It`s also where the $500 cash
comes in.

We`d like to give you $500 if you can help
us just a little.

to:Times New Roman-->You see, we`ve found that the best place to find the best people who want to rent our properties is right in our neighbourhood. And we want to make it worth your while.If you know someone who would like to rent the great house at 319 Dovedale (the whole house—we never rent basements and main floors separately) we`d love to hear about them. And we`ll give you $500 if they`re the right people and a lease is signed.

That`s right, $500, in your hand
, as soon as the lease is signed, if you can put us in contact with the next family who will live in 319 Dovedale.

Oh, yes, Donna just reminded me that I should tell you a little about the house. It`s a four bedroom (with a fifth bedroom downstairs). Newly painted, very bright, upgraded electrical service, air conditioning, gas heat, newly insulated, lots of parking (3 cars at least), fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer, dryer
and, well, you already know about the neighbourhood.

The rent is $1347 per month plus utilities and comes with our famous Platinum Tenant Program. They can move in on February 1

Maybe you know someone who is looking for a house right now: a brother, a sister, a good friend, someone from work. Give it some thought. If they rent from us, they`ll get a great house in a great neighbourhood, and you`ll have done someone a great service and pocketed $500 for doing it

o:Times New Roman-->Donna and I lookforward to hearing from you.

Steve Manning

905-686-4891

DOZAH

Registered
I have had bad experience with signs.

I`ve left signs in the area and on the front lawn.

Some kids broke in to the house on more than one occasion.
I guess a huge FOR RENT sign tells people the house is vacant and ripe for vandalism.

Good luck.

TIMWEMBLEY

Registered
I also use signs I simply put Direction arrows "For Rent"on a busy road that lead right to my house + The sign on the lawn to of course.
Do this and your phone will ring off the hook!
I got tired of the phone ringing with unqualified unscreened callers so I also have a one page sheet with a picture and all info on the house available for pickup beside the sign.
I have found I get 75% of all leads from the signs and I also use kijji and (newspaper occasionally)
Remember just because the vacancy rate in your area is 5% or 10% doesnt mean you have an excuse to be there.

Top Bottom