Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renting for the olympics

EricBodin

Registered
Hi everybody,

Just wondering if any of you in the Vancouver area are thinking of listing your rental for the olympics. I am torn right now as I have a great location, 1 bedroom in Yaletown, 2 blocks away from BC Place but I would have to furnish the place and it is not for certain that I will rent it for a good price too, if I rent it. Any opinions?
Thx

vandriani

REIN Member
We are considering renting our current residence and getting the heck out of Dodge. Apparently, it could be quite lucrative. PM if you want the name of a placement company.

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (vandriani @ Mar 31 2009, 04:49 PM) We are considering renting our current residence and getting the heck out of Dodge. Apparently, it could be quite lucrative. PM if you want the name of a placement company.

Does anyone know of a placement company that does the same thing in Calgary? Obviously, we do not have the Olympics, but I would like to get the heck out during the stampeded.

NJang

Registered
QUOTE (VicChung @ Mar 31 2009, 03:10 PM) Does anyone know of a placement company that does the same thing in Calgary? Obviously, we do not have the Olympics, but I would like to get the heck out during the stampeded.
I too am considering renting out my personal condo I have in downtown Vancouver. I`ve done a bit of research on this, but have yet to follow-up or list with any placement agency. Check out these 2 sites and offer your thoughts:

www.rentforthegames.com

http://2010houserentals.com

jarrettvaughan

Registered
QUOTE (NJang @ Mar 31 2009, 04:52 PM) I too am considering renting out my personal condo I have in downtown Vancouver. I`ve done a bit of research on this, but have yet to follow-up or list with any placement agency. Check out these 2 sites and offer your thoughts:

http://2010houserentals.com

Hello,

I am the owner of 2010HouseRentals.com and may be able to shed a little bit of light on the potential income one can generate from my experience.

Firstly, there has been a lot of hype around renting homes and condo`s for the Olympics, and due to the "crisis" the demand has diminished to a sustainable level. The demand is only an over flow of hotel bookings for most properties (there is also a market for renting out your accommodations to a corporation but this market is very hard to enter), since the hotels are not filling as fast as everyone expected, the demand is not as ridiculous as once anticipated.

Secondly, There is still a great potential and reasonable demand, but you may not be able to get $2000.00 per night for a 3 bedroom condo anymore. As you see on my website, some owners still have their homes listed at very very high prices; most likely they will never be rented at these crazy prices. Also, as time progresses, the accommodations closest to Vancouver will be booked, then moving through to the Fraser Valley (obviously the homes that are farther from the events will be booked last at lower prices).

Thirdly, to get an idea of what you could charge, consider what the cost of a hotel room would be that is at a comparable standard to your accomodations. Multiply that by the numer of bedrooms you have. Than have a look at what others are offering, and take an average. Unfortunatly, I can not tell you what to list your home at becuase VANOC has warned me about encouraging gouging (in their opinion gouging is probably more than 200.00 per night). I had recieved contact from them about 1.5 years ago when i started this business about their concerns with private rental accomodations. Thankfuly we are in a free market so you can charge however much you want.

There is still a significant amount of money to be made on rental accommodations during the Olympics.

I charge $100.00 - $130.00 per listing depending on how many pictures you would like to post. I am happy to offer a REIN Member discount at $100.00 for 12 pictures in your listing (regular price is $130.00). If you decide to list you home, just let me know you are a member and I will set you up with the discount.

If you have any questions, please email me at jarrett (at) 2010HouseRentals.com Replace the (at) with @

RealtyShowcasing

Registered
If you are going to furnish your suite for the Olympics I would suggest capitalizing on the number of beds you offer, make sure to include a sofabed in your living room.

If you are advertising for "the duration" then full kitchen and bathroom inventory is essential. Bear in mind that consumers will realize the value of "eating in" as opposed to the cost of "eating out". This alone saves them about $100 per day (per person). If they are staying 10 days, this would really add up.

Ensure your suite is decorated nicely with a more contemporary flair. With many options, consumers will be comparing quality of decoration. Also, take advantage of the maximum number of photos you are allowed to post on a site. Consumers will often look at pictures before they look at price. If the pictures aren`t attractive they will skip right over your listing.

Top Bottom