Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renting To A Couple Moving From Europe - Sensible or Not?

REGirl

Registered
Hi,

We had a couple from Poland call to ask about our SFH for rent in Edmonton (found on internet). The husband is coming over on a work visa, and has an agreement to work for a local roofing company for 2 years. We also received a phone call from the employer.

What information should we check (and how)?
Any extra precautions we should take?
Is this going out too far on a limb?

Thank you for you advice!

REGirl

invst4profit

Registered
I would be very suspicious of this situation it is probably a scam. There are many overseas/internet scams regarding rental units. They want to rent and agree to send a money order that is in excess of the rent and ask that you send the extra to someone else, possibly a mover or employer to cover other expenses. In the end the money order is a forgery and a month later you are on the hook for the whole amount.
I would not take a chance with anyone I could not meet face to face before accepting as a tenant.
Credit and background checks are impossible and can not be counted on in this case, you will be going into this blind.
You could ask for first/last/deposit in cash from the employer but cash is the only payment you should accept, nothing directly from the applicant.
Cash should root out a scam but I personally would not consider this applicant. Far too risky even if he is legitimate as he could end up unemployed.

PhilipMcKernan

Registered
With everything you need to enter these things with your eyes open.

I dont agree that this is probably a scam but that does not mean its not. The Polish showed in Ireland to be great tenants, hard working and honest. The employer will be the best place to go for facts and perhaps request a copy of the work visa and if this does not come then be suspicious! You need cash up front and give NONE of your personal information away. See if the employer will sign the lease and pay you direct.

Bottom line. Dont spend too much time on it but DONT dismiss it as we have foreign people in rental property in Edmonton and they are great.

A tenant is a tenant and as long as you do your homework you are covered.

NorthernAlex

Registered
I am a immigrant who came to canada 12 months ago and also a moderator in a large forum for immigrants coming to Canada. There are plenty stories how hard it is for the first timers to get a place and also get scammed thru the landlord.

Anyhow, the problem with a working visa is that he only has a right to stay in canada as long as he has a job. Should he lose the job he would have a couple weeks to find a new job in the same NOC (National Occupation Class) No.(roofer needs to stay roofer to stay in Canada) otherwise his temp. status is getting withdrawn and he has to leave the country.

Which means, your tenant could leave in a rush.

From my experience I would say: If you do your homework (checking income with employer aso) new immigrants are good tenants.

If you have questions regarding his immigration status or programs and need more infos please write me an email. I am very aware of all the immigration programs and could certainly answer your question(s).

Top Bottom