Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Revelstoke?

Ranger99

Registered
New here to the Forum and just finished reading Don`s book "Real Estate Investing in Canada".

My "Personal Belize" includes resort properties, more specifically properties in Revelstoke. I would like to own one or two properties to rent and from time to time use them for personnal use.

I could use some advice not only on Revelstoke, but also on Vacation/Resort properties in general.

Thanks for your time,

Mike Webb
Edmonton, Ab

mikecunning

REIN Member
HI Mike:

It`s a beautiful town (once you get off the Trans-Canada)

We have looked at it but decided against it for investment...for play, probably a great place.

Our issue with Revelstoke is that it`s in the middle of no where...no airport and 6 hours from Calgary/Vancouver. Although they`ve got the ski hill upgrade happening...it`s years away and you certainly won`t see anyone making the trip for the day just to ski!

We have been active in Kimberley/Cranbrook/Fernie ... these areas get a lot of spill over from Calgary and are much more accessible.

Good luck

Mike

QUOTE (Ranger99 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:51 PM) New here to the Forum and just finished reading Don`s book "Real Estate Investing in Canada".

My "Personal Belize" includes resort properties, more specifically properties in Revelstoke. I would like to own one or two properties to rent and from time to time use them for personnal use.

I could use some advice not only on Revelstoke, but also on Vacation/Resort properties in general.

Thanks for your time,

Mike Webb
Edmonton, Ab

Ranger99

Registered
Thanks for the insight.

The other concern I have is the Seasonal Activity, Revelstoke isn`t a "Four Season Destination".....yet. As far as travel is concerned, what about Kelowna Airport, or is it just to far?

On the side: In Cranbrook, is there any word on a major airport being built? I remember looking at Fernie and Kimberley several years ago as a possible location for a small business. At the time I needed I strong influence of tourist $$$ to make any money and one of the week links was the Cranbrook Airport.

Thanks,
Mike

QUOTE (mikecunning @ Jan 16 2008, 01:24 PM) HI Mike:

It`s a beautiful town (once you get off the Trans-Canada)

We have looked at it but decided against it for investment...for play, probably a great place.

Our issue with Revelstoke is that it`s in the middle of no where...no airport and 6 hours from Calgary/Vancouver. Although they`ve got the ski hill upgrade happening...it`s years away and you certainly won`t see anyone making the trip for the day just to ski!

We have been active in Kimberley/Cranbrook/Fernie ... these areas get a lot of spill over from Calgary and are much more accessible.

Good luck

Mike

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Seasonal vacation properties are PURE SPECULATION. You speculate that the real estate value will go up while you hold, usually with huge negative cash-flow. The properties are rented perhaps 10-25% of the time, and if you wish to use it you get less revenue as you wish to go to Fernie when it snows not when it is late October (neither snow nor summer ..)

The management companies usually take between 25% to 50% of the gross revenue, THEN you pay: condo fees, taxes, mortgage payment, furniture replacement, new toaster, in-suite upgrades to damage ...

Buy a vacation property ONLY if you have enough cash to play and to cover the negative cash-flow.

It is NOT an investment .. it is a life style choice !

Money was invented for a reason: you exchange it for s.th. else ! If you wish to stay in Revelstoke or Hawaii or Vancouver Island or Fernie or Canmore for a few days or a few weeks a year: rent ! Then stay at a different place or a newer palce next year .. why always stay in the same place and lose money while you hold ?

Yes, in Canmore (where we reside) you would have made a fortune over the last 4-10 years on equity upside, but with negative cash-flow. Today, at $500,000+ for a condo, it is much riskier.

If you MUST buy a vacation condo (because you have too much cash usually) then buy one where there is year round activity and thus a higher chance for continous rental income .. in places like Hawaii or perhaps Canmore. Kimberly boasts year-round activity, but occupancy is WELL BELOW 20% .. maybe 12-15% (I did ask a real property management firm .. and I stayed at a place with 100+ units with perhaps 4-5 cars in the parking lot )!!

Why not buy a condo or townhouse or house or small apartment building in a city where people live and rent year round ? Steady income, and usually lower prices and usually equity upside .. if you pick cities with economic activity and in-migraton along the REIN suggestions !

Ranger99

Registered
Great Advice!! Thanks.
Mike

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 16 2008, 02:20 PM) Seasonal vacation properties are PURE SPECULATION. You speculate that the real estate value will go up while you hold, usually with huge negative cash-flow. The properties are rented perhaps 10-25% of the time, and if you wish to use it you get less revenue as you wish to go to Fernie when it snows not when it is late October (neither snow nor summer ..)

The management companies usually take between 25% to 50% of the gross revenue, THEN you pay: condo fees, taxes, mortgage payment, furniture replacement, new toaster, in-suite upgrades to damage ...

Buy a vacation property ONLY if you have enough cash to play and to cover the negative cash-flow.

It is NOT an investment .. it is a life style choice !

Money was invented for a reason: you exchange it for s.th. else ! If you wish to stay in Revelstoke or Hawaii or Vancouver Island or Fernie or Canmore for a few days or a few weeks a year: rent ! Then stay at a different place or a newer palce next year .. why always stay in the same place and lose money while you hold ?

Yes, in Canmore (where we reside) you would have made a fortune over the last 4-10 years on equity upside, but with negative cash-flow. Today, at $500,000+ for a condo, it is much riskier.

If you MUST buy a vacation condo (because you have too much cash usually) then buy one where there is year round activity and thus a higher chance for continous rental income .. in places like Hawaii or perhaps Canmore. Kimberly boasts year-round activity, but occupancy is WELL BELOW 20% .. maybe 12-15% (I did ask a real property management firm .. and I stayed at a place with 100+ units with perhaps 4-5 cars in the parking lot )!!

Why not buy a condo or townhouse or house or small apartment building in a city where people live and rent year round ? Steady income, and usually lower prices and usually equity upside .. if you pick cities with economic activity and in-migraton along the REIN suggestions !

InvestBC

Registered
I think your chance of getting anything affordable in the Revelstoke area might be gone. Prices in the area have near doubled or tripled. I have been looking in that area prior to the annoucement of the New Revelstoke Mountain Resort and prices have soared. It`s understandable that most resort properties are speculation but doing some good old research helps. The company that owns the resort has purchased the local CAT and Heli center so they are committed to creating a unique resort offering. As a result transportation upgrades will be required to accomidate the 5000 planned homes. The official master plan which outlines all the planned activity over the next 15 years can be found from the City Hall website.

The resort it self is out of the way but the last time I flew to any vacation area whether Hawaii or Mexico it still involved a 45 to 1 hour drive to any actual resort so I wouldn`t toss it out just for that. It`s a bit out of the way for Vancouverites due to we have Whistler right around the corner but a drive from Calgary is roughly 4 hours especially with the new bridge for Rogers pass just being completed. The resort is just beginning but it you do your property goldmine score it does offer alot of plus vs minuses and there is always some risk involved in being first but you also reap the most gains as well. I have visited Revelstoke a few times and I absolutely love the city!

I hope this helps!

Websites:

www.discoverrevelstoke.com
www.revelstokemountainresort.com

Kelowna Airport Upgrades:

http://www.wd.gc.ca/77_9653_ENG_ASP.asp

Other Interesting Links:
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2...0115-001063.htm
http://199.71.40.129/vancouversun/news/bus...92-9f079488cd75

investinrealestate

Registered
Hello, I have almost thirty five acre parcels for sale in Revelstoke and am selling them for rock bottom prices to the tune of $250k per acreage. The parcels have staggering views of the river and ski hill. This would be great for a vacation home. The pricing allows alot of room for the next guy. I will sell as a complete package at a lower rate. There is a highway leading to the property and utilities are 300 meters away. I will not be servicing each lot with utilities only surveying them thus the reasoning for the rock bottom price. For more information please email me at [email protected]

Top Bottom