Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rodents

chrisratcliffe

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi all,
I was hoping to get some feedback regarding an issue we've had with our new tenants. The tenants are in their third month of their lease and have just told us that they have 'rodents'. We've never had this problem with previous tenants and have owned this townhome for 5 years now.

Thursday July 20
We receive notice from tenants that they 'have rodents'

Friday July 21
We call a pest control company that shows up the same day and sets up traps and poison. Pest control informs us that they will return on Tuesday July 25 to see if the bait and traps worked

Sunday July 23
We receive this email
"Since discovering that we have a mouse problem last week, we have basically been displaced from our home. Due to the health risk to us and our daughter, we have been taking her out of the house for every meal. this has been costing us a small fortune. we are not comfortable preparing her food in our kitchen, and will not bring food upstairs because the problem seems to be only downstairs (we hope). We have spent upwards of 100$ on traps, steel wool, poison, and sealant. I appreciate you having a pest control person come by, but all he did was drop some poison, and said he would be back on Tuesday to see if they took it or not. We just want our home back to normal. The smell of rodent is getting worse. today I bought an air purifier to try and clean the air. Cher and our daughter have been staying with my mom since friday. We can't use the downstairs portion of the apartment because there are traps everywhere, and it is not safe for Kelela. We would like to know when we can expect this to be resolved, and if you are willing to give us any reimbursement or cut on this months rent. When the mouse problem is taken care of we plan on having the whole house cleaned professionally. this too will cost a fair amount. We are not dirty people. We clean up after ourselves every day. We have never experienced a rodent issue in the past, and hope to never have to deal with this again. It has been pretty devastating to our lives. Even more so because we have a 14 month old. Please let us know."

Pretty shocking and dramatic I know! We have dealt with difficult tenants in the past and know the importance of proper documentation and doing our due diligence according to the BC Tenancy Act.
My questions is, aside from paying for pest control, do the tenants have a leg to stand on by asking for reduced rent, and/or covering expenses that they claimed to have incurred?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Christian

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Toughen up. It is your property. Not theirs.

Do what is reasonable. What you do is reasonable. What they ask for is not. They could have phoned you a week or two earlier. They chose not to.

Ignore letter or try to reason with them. Of course having a toddler complicates things but that is not really your responsibility. Be kind, but firm.

Top Bottom