Roommate with boyfriend

Goodstuff

Registered
Hi everyone.

I advertised one of my places as separate roommate-type rooms. It`s a 3 BR house and have filled each room separately, and thus they`re all "roommates" as opposed to anyone renting the whole house themselves.

Everything was going great. I rented two rooms to older single women and all was well. The third one I rented to a young single woman. Turns out she has a boyfriend who has taken a liking to the house more than his own place. He has now started sleeping over every night. His car is parked there all the time. I don`t think he has moved in officially, but he may as well have.

I`m afraid this may be disturbing the two other women, having a male in the house all the time.

I haven`t said anything yet, but I think I had better.

Can anyone give me their opinion on what they would do? Or maybe have done in the past?

Thanks.

invst4profit

Registered
If you are in Ontario you have 30 days, from the time you find the unwanted occupant, to file an A2 with the LTB to evict a unwanted tenant.
After that point in time they become your legal tenant and there is no way to evict.

You could probably ask nicely that he not sleep over but short of going through the LTB you have no legal way to deal with a situation such as this.

You need to move quickly to insure that your tenants know who is in charge before you lose two good tenants.

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Nov 18 2009, 07:06 AM) I`m afraid this may be disturbing the two other women, having a male in the house all the time.

Or they might not mind. Ask them!
Is your concern for the 2 other tenants or the `guest` mooching your bedroom?

Goodstuff

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Nov 18 2009, 07:59 AM) Or they might not mind. Ask them!
Is your concern for the 2 other tenants or the `guest` mooching your bedroom?

My main concern is that the other good tenants will move out.
Another concern is that this guy will eventually give his notice at wherever he is staying and move in permanently into my place. Free of charge, of course...

Goodstuff

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 18 2009, 09:20 AM) Stay out of it, spend your time finding your next piece of real estate.

Has anyone here had a similar type problem in the past? If so, how did you deal with it?
As Chris says, maybe I should just let it be and wait until someone complains...

invst4profit

Registered
I have on numerous occasions served eviction notices when I become aware an additional unwanted individual has moved into a apartment. Why would I allow a tenant to live in my property that has not passed my screening process. Once in they become a permanent tenant and should the original tenants move out you are stuck with a tenant that you have never even screened. Try evicting a tenant that you do not have any personal info on. No name, employer, SI# nothing.

Nipping a potential difficult situation in the bud before it becomes a irreparable problem and a financial drain is the wiser approach. Bad tenant situations rarely fix themselves and generally only get worse. Ignorance is not bliss in this business.
In addition you have a responsibility to your other tenants since you have rented the place out by the room. If each tenant has a separate lease agreement you are going to get backed into a corner that will cost you in the end if not corrected quickly.
On the other hand if 4 tenants is OK with you and your three present tenants agree tell him you are going to start charging him rent.

Far better and less costly to be pro active than reactive in our business.

Goodstuff

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 18 2009, 11:21 AM) I have on numerous occasions served eviction notices when I become aware an additional unwanted individual has moved into a apartment. Why would I allow a tenant to live in my property that has not passed my screening process. Once in they become a permanent tenant and should the original tenants move out you are stuck with a tenant that you have never even screened. Try evicting a tenant that you do not have any personal info on. No name, employer, SI# nothing.

Nipping a potential difficult situation in the bud before it becomes a irreparable problem and a financial drain is the wiser approach. Bad tenant situations rarely fix themselves and generally only get worse. Ignorance is not bliss in this business.
In addition you have a responsibility to your other tenants since you have rented the place out by the room. If each tenant has a separate lease agreement you are going to get backed into a corner that will cost you in the end if not corrected quickly.
On the other hand if 4 tenants is OK with you and your three present tenants agree tell him you are going to start charging him rent.

Far better and less costly to be pro active than reactive in our business.

Thanks for the opinion/information. I didn`t think about the fact that there is someone staying in my property without being screened. He could be some guy with a previous rape charge. Or murder charge for that matter. How would I know?
Best to put a stop to this now before something happens. Why take chances?
Thanks again. Very good advice.

sstokes

REIN Member
We`re evicting one female `boarder` (a roommate in our own house - we have 3 of them) for that very reason. We verbally advised her of the general household rules before she came into the house, which included no overnight guests without prior approval. We occasionally allow overnights.....ex. one of the girls had her sister visiting from out-of-province.

One morning, we ran into her overnight guest on his way out & gave her 30 days notice immediately. We now have a written list of guidelines that each of the `boarders` has to acknowledge receipt of, in writing.

If your other 2 renters are good, you don`t want to lose them. I`d put some guidelines in place now, and take your chances on losing the one with the boyfriend.

Susan

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 18 2009, 01:21 PM) On the other hand if 4 tenants is OK with you and your three present tenants agree tell him you are going to start charging him rent.

If only that was allowed!