Sales History Data

aseaman

Registered
Mar 7, 2012
Hi There,

Can somebody help me, I'm trying to find where to get past sales data of real estate in AB, specifically Edmonton?

I'm from Australia, about to arrive in Edmonton and want to accelerate my research when I land, In Aust we can purchase access to a data base with all the sales and listings data for all property, its what the real estate agents use to value property, is there anything like that in Canada, or even a report to purchase?

Thanks

Andy

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Most residential realtors have sales data on residential properties thru the local real estate board. So team up with a realtor, but remember a realtor time is worth something.

Commercial land and properties data comes from other sources, and not thru the real estate board. That is available from commercial realtors who pay for the service, typically $200 plus per month for the data.

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
You'll need to work with a realtor to get that data. If you're coming from out of the country, I think it makes sense for you to connect with a Realtor before you get here anyway, so you can start looking at properties right away. A local expert realtor can also help you narrow down a target area before you arrive.

There are a number of realtors/recommendations for realtors in Edmonton on this forum.

Michael

[quote user=aseaman]specifically Edmonton?
With 5000+ homes sold every year in Edmonton, or 7000+ in the Greater Edmonton region (also referred to as Capital region) your question & search criteria is far too broad.

www.mls.ca has some decent insight on what is for sale. Narrow it down to an area AND a type of house, say townhouses with 2BR and 1200 to 1500 sq ft, or acreages over 3BR with 2 acres or more in land, or up/down duplexes .. and a part of the city.

No one realtor in Edmonton knows the entire city well enough to be of good service to you (although many will pretend they do).

Calgary and Edmonton house prices will rise at least 5% to mid 2013 .. But the "average new home" might be flat or go down as it will be harder to get CMHC mortgages with 5% or 10% down , thus builders will build ever smaller and cheaper homes and condos - driving down the average but not your specific property. Thus good news for existing and prospective real estate investors that invest in apartment buildings, land development or smaller/older cash-flowing homes with vastly increasing rents and tenant demand. Best time to buy was post-boom in 2010 and 2011 .. But still ok now if not too levered, with enough sustainable cash-flow to hold 5+ year. If done well, you will look like a genius in 2017/2018 !

Not in all markets, if course .. Only in in-migration markets with job growth .. Such as AB and SK and select pockets of BC, ON and NS.

As they say " It's the economy, stupid" or as my good friend Don R Campbell would call it " the fundamentals" .. Follow the jobs and a few simple rules and then enjoy the ride !