Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Satellite dish and deposit

VicChung

REIN Member
Hi,

I have tenants that installed a satellite dish 2 years ago. They signed a contract stating that they would ensure that the statellite dish would be removed properly on move-out and that any damage would be fixed.

The same tenants moved out on June 27th. However, since I do not have a ladder to look on top of the roof, the agreement was that they would get the satellite company to provide a signed agreement stating that there were no damages to the roof when the statellite dish would be removed.

The tenants are now not co-operating and would not provide such written proofs. Can I hold on to their deposit over the 10 recommended days in Alberta? Or do I have to physically go check the roof myself?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the different alternatives?

Regards, Vic

brentdavies

Registered
Welcome to the issues of sat. dishes. No company will give a warrenty on the damage their dishes will do on the roof. It is the owners responsibility. The new 24 inch dishes are usually very safe, but only a decade ago, the dishes were 8 feet in diameter. The big dishes caused more than a few lawsuits for damages in their time.

In Alberta, you must give a statement within 10 days of moveout, with either a cheque or an estimate of the damages. Read the Alberta RTA to ensure your statement is correct.

Within 30 days, you must provide an updated statement with the actual costs and a refund if any.

I would estimate the roof damages of $XXX ($300-500)and get a roofer or someone to repair and deduct from the sercurity deposit. But make sure to give a statement. And an invoice.

vandriani

REIN Member
QUOTE since I do not have a ladder to look on top of the roof

IMHO, this is a weak excuse for not checking on one of your biggest assets. Either rent one or borrow a neighbors (and then buy him/her a case of beer or bottle of wine). Then check it out for yourself.I`m assuming that you live in the area\city\town of your property.
If you are not comfortable going on the roof then pay someone to go up there and take some pictures.
Is it worth all the headaches of RTO hearings and such over something that may be a non-issue?

What I`m saying is that you shouldn`t stand your ground until you are sure that the ground is solid.

In the end you could possibly charge the tenant the cost of your time or others time in regards to this. I`m not sure if it legal though.

Top Bottom