Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scam Alert

dplummer

Registered
I`ve just been made aware of a scam. Individuals from England looking to rent furnished & long term rentals. A James Abare from South Norwood England e-mailed us about our chalet rental. Wanted his accountant to send us a cheque for the chalet & his living expenses while he stayed in Canada. You guessed it. Wanted us to cash a cheque & forward his expenses. It appears this is an identity theft attempt. Just thought I`d pass it along. Too bad though, I wanted to rent the chalet.

Doug

invst4profit

Registered
This is a very common scam that has existed for as long as advertising on the Internet has been happening.
Any time someone from overseas wants to rent and it involves cashing a money order etc that is for more than the rent with the extra to be returned or given to someone else for expenses it is a scam.
It usually takes a month or more for the bank to come back to the LL saying the order was a fraud and then the LL owes the bank.

Very common scam. Good you caught it.

Mike Milovick

Registered
Ask them to send deposit via paypal. That usually ends the inquiry.

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Sep 23 2009, 08:52 PM) This is a very common scam that has existed for as long as advertising on the Internet has been happening.
Any time someone from overseas wants to rent and it involves cashing a money order etc that is for more than the rent with the extra to be returned or given to someone else for expenses it is a scam.
It usually takes a month or more for the bank to come back to the LL saying the order was a fraud and then the LL owes the bank.

Very common scam. Good you caught it.

Top Bottom