Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SCAN Act

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Has anyone heard about the new Safer Comminities and Neighbourhoods (SCAN) Act that is coming into law October 1, 2008?

I attended a seminar on the new law yesterday. It will be a great tool for quality Landlords like REIN members, and a royal pain in the butt for the slum Landlords. It is my understanding that Saskatchewan and Manitoba have had similar legislation in place for several years now with much success.

As for my understanding this new law will provide a service in which people can make a complaint to the SCAN committee about a property where illegal activity is happening.

Unlkie the police removing the people from the property and having them return the next day, the SCAN enforcement had the ability to close the property for upto 90 days at the owners expense. (boarding up windows and doors, putting fencing around the property and guard service). A great tool to close down the drug houses.

Their goal is to work with property owners and Landlords to come to non court order solutions to these troubled properties, but will pursue court orders if the property owners are not cooperative.

For more information about the SCAN act you can find more information online at www.scan.ablerta.ca.

It might be worth contacting the SCAN people to present the REIN group with more information about this new legislation.

invst4profit

Registered
This new law places the responsibility of dealing with the drug underworld directly on the shoulders of landlords. Since the police can not resolve the problem I guess placing the responsibility on us is the easiest solution. Whether you are a good or bad landlord if you end up with a bad tenant you will be out 90 + days of rent or be forced to physically evict tenants in violation of there rights.
Sounds like a rock or a hard place.
I guess landlords will have to apply for the right to carry hand guns.

wealthyboomer

Registered
Can Government assure us that SCAN does not violate rights protected by the Charter of Rights?

invst4profit

Registered
The problem we have now is that criminals are protected by there "rights" which prevents the police from dealing with these people. They don`t deserve most of the rights there lawyers use to protect them.

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
At least now if we go to evict the tenant, we will have the SCAN people on our side helping us to get rid of them. It should help especially when we get a Judge or Hearing Officer that is sympathetic to the "Poor little Tennant".

The SCAN people said at the meeting that they will attend hearings as a witness for the Landord in a Dispute Hearing. I hope they follow through.

Top Bottom