Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

screening of a tenant from US

spark1

Registered
Hi all,
I just got a rental application from person who just came from US. There are several reg flags like: he needs immidiate accomodation, he is a self employed.
Is it anyway to do credit check for an American citizen? I have his US SIN number, date of birth.
Any other potential problems to watch for?
Thank you!

JBagorio

Registered
QUOTE (spark1 @ Oct 10 2008, 11:45 AM) Hi all,
I just got a rental application from person who just came from US. There are several reg flags like: he needs immidiate accomodation, he is a self employed.
Is it anyway to do credit check for an American citizen? I have his US SIN number, date of birth.
Any other potential problems to watch for?
Thank you!

I am not sure about credit checking (if you can it is well recomended) an American citizen, but I would suggest you interview this person very well. Asks for references i.e. friends, coworker/business, landlord etc...Put the time an effort to prove the truthfulness of this person. Being that he is self employed, ask for his company financial statements, monthly income etc... In spite of all this, just trust your judgment.

spark1

Registered
Thank you JNB,
I inteviewed him, he is very unclear about his company business, he says we do everything. My gut feeling I should refuse, but I do not have any legitamate reason to say no and explain why.
igor

QUOTE (JNB @ Oct 10 2008, 11:23 AM) I am not sure about credit checking (if you can it is well recomended) an American citizen, but I would suggest you interview this person very well. Asks for references i.e. friends, coworker/business, landlord etc...Put the time an effort to prove the truthfulness of this person. Being that he is self employed, ask for his company financial statements, monthly income etc... In spite of all this, just trust your judgment.

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (spark1 @ Oct 10 2008, 12:32 PM) Thank you JNB,
I inteviewed him, he is very unclear about his company business, he says we do everything. My gut feeling I should refuse, but I do not have any legitamate reason to say no and explain why.
igorTry to do the credit check. I believe that Equifax and Transunion cover the U.S. too. If you cannot do the check, that is a legitimate reason for rejecting the application.
Why is he moving here? If he is under contract with a company here then the company can give you a reference.
Hope that helps.

invst4profit

Registered
Go with your gut and reject him. Too high of a risk as self employed. We do everything means "handy man with truck.
Why waste any more of your time trying to make this one work.

Top Bottom