Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Secondary Suites in Calgary

chrismccallum

REIN Member
Hi Members!

This is the first of a few posts and updates I will provide regarding my personal battle with the City to upgrade a secondary suite I already have in one of my rentals.

Timeline: Nov 2009, purchased a suited home, in a solid area, good rents, etc. Felt I did my due diligence, but made CRITICAL ERROR.

Error:while attempting to confirm that this property had a `legal` suite, I stopped when I saw that the Coty was taxing it as such. In my paper hunt, I saw that the City knew it had a basement suite, and texed it that way. What I didn`t know was that it could be illegal, and still be taxed as having a suite. Sound fishy? Me too.

So, I got a call from an Inspector, who had a complaint filed by a passerby who saw that I was installing a separate entrance (Alberta Fire Code reqmnt, among others). I was told to remove the kitchen, or apply for a Development Permit. I did, paid the $500, and then was promptly denied because of the narrow width and over sizing of basement suite area.

I appealed it and won, and that is another story in and of itself.

Now that the DP has been approved, I must apply and get a Building Permit (BP). Another expense... and the City wants me now to bring the suite up to the Alberta Building Code. If you know the requirements of this Code, you`ll know that this will cost me close to $15,000 for an existing suite... 2 furnaces, new trunk lines, tear down the ceiling, etc. Major work, and brutal cost.

I found out that this is not the case, and the City is choosing to interpret the ABC improperly.

More to come...

DaveRhydderch

Registered
It is funny, that the city taxes a suite it knows is illegal. Did you buy this through a Realtor? Did anyone tell you it was illegal?

Not much can be done now, but in future call the city and ask if there was any complaints against the suite. You can also ask if it is legal. Good due dilligence.

Good luck with the suite situation. I`m interested to see how you make out.

DR

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (chrismccallum @ Sep 27 2010, 10:02 PM)
Hi Members!

This is the first of a few posts and updates I will provide regarding my personal battle with the City to upgrade a secondary suite I already have in one of my rentals.

Timeline: Nov 2009, purchased a suited home, in a solid area, good rents, etc. Felt I did my due diligence, but made CRITICAL ERROR.

Error:while attempting to confirm that this property had a 'legal' suite, I stopped when I saw that the Coty was taxing it as such. In my paper hunt, I saw that the City knew it had a basement suite, and texed it that way. What I didn't know was that it could be illegal, and still be taxed as having a suite. Sound fishy? Me too.

So, I got a call from an Inspector, who had a complaint filed by a passerby who saw that I was installing a separate entrance (Alberta Fire Code reqmnt, among others). I was told to remove the kitchen, or apply for a Development Permit. I did, paid the $500, and then was promptly denied because of the narrow width and over sizing of basement suite area.

I appealed it and won, and that is another story in and of itself.

Now that the DP has been approved, I must apply and get a Building Permit (BP). Another expense... and the City wants me now to bring the suite up to the Alberta Building Code. If you know the requirements of this Code, you'll know that this will cost me close to $15,000 for an existing suite... 2 furnaces, new trunk lines, tear down the ceiling, etc. Major work, and brutal cost.

I found out that this is not the case, and the City is choosing to interpret the ABC improperly.

More to come...

Wow very interesting post... looking forward to hearing more!

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Wow. Incompetence, inconsistency and inefficiency in a government bureaucracy - I`m shocked.

Following this, anxious to see how it turns out.

Top Bottom