Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Secondary Suites in Edmonton

Maribel

Registered
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL SECONDARY SUITE OWNERSThe City of Edmonton`s Planning and Development Department is undertaken the second round of open houses to review the secondary suite issue.
They are opening the door to new changes but the last open house didn`t have much attendance so the changes to the bylaws were really few. This is our chance to have our voices listen.

Let`s take this chance and let the City of Edmonton`s Planning and Development Department know that we are responsible landlords providing affordable housing to all the newcomers.

If you are not able to attend please raise your voice through the Web Survey.

See invitation below
:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Houses on Secondary Suites & Secondary Dwellings
Bylaw Changes (Phase 2)

The City of Edmonton`s Planning and Development Department invites you to review
proposed changes to the Zoning Bylaw that would allow more opportunities for
Secondary Suites, as well as Garage and Garden Suites (Secondary Dwellings),
throughout the City. Two Open Houses are being held.

Dates:

Tuesday, June 17
Time: 5 - 8 p.m.
11727 Kingsway

Thursday, June 19

Time: 5 - 8 p.m.
4404 Gateway Boulevard

You can also give us your opinion by participating in our web survey on Secondary
Suites and Secondary Dwellings, beginning June 12.
You will be able to access the
survey the City of Edmonton`s web site at www.edmonton.ca/secondarysuites

A concept for Phase 2 Zoning Bylaw amendments will also be available on the
Secondary Suites web site by June 12.

Background:

The Planning and Development Department of the City of Edmonton is proceeding with Phase
2 in a two-part process to amend the text of the Zoning Bylaw to increase the opportunity for
Secondary Suites, Garage Suites and Garden Suites throughout the City, in accordance with
City Council`s request at the December 17, 2007 Public Hearing. Phase 1 Amendments were
adopted through Bylaw 14750 at the Hearing.

On December 17, 2007, Council requested that Administration bring back a Phase 1
monitoring report to the Executive Committee meeting on September 24, 2008, followed by a
Public Hearing on Phase 2 Amendments on November 17, 2008. As part of the process, the
Planning and Development Department is proceeding with gathering input on proposed
amendments and options for amendments to the Zoning Bylaw.

The open houses and the Web Survey are two of the ways in which the City is gathering this input.

For more information, including updates on the Phase 2 process, please see the City`s
Secondary Suites web site: www.edmonton.ca/secondarysuites

You may also contact:

Graham Beck, Planner, 496-4291, Fax 401-7074 or e-mail [email protected]
or

Adryan Wahl, Planner, 944-7688, Fax 401-7074, e-mail [email protected]

If you want to learn more about the planning process in Edmonton, City of Edmonton
Planning Academy offers a series of courses. See www.edmonton.ca/planningacademy

Stephan

REIN Member
Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Maribel!

I agree, this is a perfect opportunity for us to let planners know what we think about secondary suites. It`s easy to stay home and just hope for change, but I encourage everyone that can possibly make it to show up!

See you there!

Stephan

TommyK

Registered
I can`t attend the hearing, but I have already submitted the survey to let them know how I feel about secondary suites.
style_emoticons

MoneyMan

Registered
Too bad the requirements for secondary suites are so stringent. I have a house with bsmt suite that safe housing and assorted city depts are really hammering me on... makes you want to give up!

Top Bottom