Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Security Deposit Deductions

Railguy

Registered
I am a new landlord (2 years) and have a tenant moving out that has not been the cleanest person. I am expecting that the house will not be cleaned to a "normal" persons standard and will require further cleaning after they move out. I am thinking of offering to hire cleaners to clean the place for a $200 fee and they can just walk away. I also expect some yard maintenance and patch work on the walls beyond normal wear and tear such as large marks in the walls from furniture moving.

Does anyone have some advice on typical deduction amounts for cleaning and repairs items?
Is $200 for cleaning normal? I would do the yard maintenance and wall patching myself, could I deduct for this or should I just eat the costs?

Thanks,
Marc

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I hire "Maidpro" a professional cleaning service to do the move out clean if the tenants do not leave it in perfect condition. I send them a copy of the bill with the balance of the deposit. This way there can be no dispute if they want to push the issue.

(Disclosure Note: I own the Maidpro offices in Edmonton and Calgary area`s. Discount for REIN members)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Railguy @ Jun 9 2010, 11:31 PM) I am a new landlord (2 years) and have a tenant moving out that has not been the cleanest person. I am expecting that the house will not be cleaned to a "normal" persons standard and will require further cleaning after they move out. I am thinking of offering to hire cleaners to clean the place for a $200 fee and they can just walk away. I also expect some yard maintenance and patch work on the walls beyond normal wear and tear such as large marks in the walls from furniture moving.

Does anyone have some advice on typical deduction amounts for cleaning and repairs items?
Is $200 for cleaning normal? I would do the yard maintenance and wall patching myself, could I deduct for this or should I just eat the costs?
deduct what is reasonable and actual. Add a 15% management fee onto it for 3rd parties.

$200 sounds very low to me, unless it is a small space.

Add yard cleanup, damages, hauling fees, carpet and drywall repair, paint and other sundry charges and it sounds to me that one month rent seems reasonable for a very messy tenant !

Why work for free for a tenant that is not a customer anymore ?

Top Bottom