Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should I install Vinyl Plank, Vinyl Sheet or Vinyl Tiles (Peel + Stick) in Bathroom, Entrance and Kitchen?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi all,

I have a dilemma which of the 3 vinyl types to install instead of an existing vinyl sheet in bathroom and apartment entrance? and which of the three is best to replace current carpet in kitchen? (yes, there is carpet in the kitchen of an apartment I purchased)

Also, which of the methods is most forgiving in case the sub floor is not perfectly smooth? I think Plank but not sure.

What is your preference?

THANKS,
Neil

HeatherBrandt

Registered
I vote against the peel and stick. We did this is earlier properties and it doesn`t hold up and doesn`t seal.

A problem with the vinyl sheet is that if you get a hole in it, it`s a pain to fix it.

We have gone with the vinyl plank. It looks like it seals fairly well (time will tell) and if a piece gets wrecked it can be replaced. We have used the "tile look" and it looks great.

If the floor has indentations (or real holes!), they need to be filled first, even with plank. Also, there is an underlay available at Home Depot, looks like mini bubble wrap.

Heather

QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 22 2008, 10:11 PM) Hi all,

I have a dilemma which of the 3 vinyl types to install instead of an existing vinyl sheet in bathroom and apartment entrance? and which of the three is best to replace current carpet in kitchen? (yes, there is carpet in the kitchen of an apartment I purchased)

Also, which of the methods is most forgiving in case the sub floor is not perfectly smooth? I think Plank but not sure.

What is your preference?

THANKS,
Neil

JeffSmith

Registered
QUOTE (HeatherBrandt @ Dec 23 2008, 09:16 AM) I vote against the peel and stick. We did this is earlier properties and it doesn`t hold up and doesn`t seal.

A problem with the vinyl sheet is that if you get a hole in it, it`s a pain to fix it.

We have gone with the vinyl plank. It looks like it seals fairly well (time will tell) and if a piece gets wrecked it can be replaced. We have used the "tile look" and it looks great.

If the floor has indentations (or real holes!), they need to be filled first, even with plank. Also, there is an underlay available at Home Depot, looks like mini bubble wrap.

Heather
There should be a law against using vinyl tiles.

dannielsen

Registered
Hi,

we just did a new bathroom floor in one of our units and we used tiles. You can pick them up fairly cheap. It looks great and I should not have to ever do it again. Total cost was under $400 installed by our handyman.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Heather for the Great advice! I will seriously consider that when I meet the handyman next week..

Thanks Jeff and Dannielsen for the input. Jeff, I guess even $400 is a lot when you can do it for like $100 with Vinyl planks. it also depends on the area and "client" expectation. mine are in class B-C neighborhoods so tiles just don`t fit.

Regards,
Neil

Bottlejack

Registered
I have never liked the peel and stick 12X12 tiles, they dont hold up and i have seen a few places that the glue on the tiles stops holding and the tiles come up. (may have been poor install). Depending on the size of the room the vinyl sheets can be bought at Home Depot in pre-cut 8X6 sheets for around $30. they seem to hold up well, but make sure you glue it down it will not lay flat for long if you dont.

JeffSmith

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 23 2008, 05:34 PM) Thanks Heather for the Great advice! I will seriously consider that when I meet the handyman next week..

Thanks Jeff and Dannielsen for the input. Jeff, I guess even $400 is a lot when you can do it for like $100 with Vinyl planks. it also depends on the area and "client" expectation. mine are in class B-C neighborhoods so tiles just don`t fit.

Regards,
Neil

Dannielson, I hope you get many years of unmoving use from your installed peel & stick tiles. I have seen to many instances where they simply do not stand up to normal wear and tear. In my humble opinion lino is a far superior product to vinyl tiles, which eventually move because the adhesive is c..p and the corners lift and chip and gather dirt and allow moisture into the sub floor and...well you get the picture. I prefer lino and carpet for most suites as they can be applied quickly and provide good value. $400 seems to be about right for peel and stick even though the product is relatively inexpensive because the installer would have to spend a lot more time peeling and applying each tile. Lino comes in large sheets, it goes on quickly.
Should be a law prohibiting the use of wall panelling and wall paper as well.

adamturner

Registered
Tile Tile Tile. If you can afford it, do it and never think about the floor again. These are long term investments we are dealing with and materials that go into these projects should also come with the same considerations.

Vinyl tiles and stick products that get glued to floors are not the healthiest thing to have in a home due to initial off gassing. And lets be honest. It doesnt take long before they look like crap.

Tiles get noticed and might get you that tenant that understands and eppreciates what he or she is getting in a home.

Tile is a sure way to justify rent increasing.

Cheers

Adam Turner

Top Bottom