Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should I right my realestate license

Bottlejack

Registered
Should i write my real estate license?

I work full time and i also inverst in real estate i am woundering if there is any value or major drawbacks to getting my realestate licence? I would like to get it for a few reasons, 1. To save some of the commission on buying and selling my own properties 2. because I am seeing that agents are buying alot of the properties that are listed low (or they sell in there own office before the majority of the public has a chance at buying it. 3. tired of working with agents that dont want to work for there money. 4. could actually find and sell a few houses to friends and family.

just a little back ground..
i currenty only own 6 properties
i am 29.
the market where i invest is slowing a little (like most)
and 90% of the mls house sales are with 3 offices.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Here is my take on this subject. As a former Realtor, I could not give up my license quickly enough.

In all my years as a Realtor, I have never been aware that another Realtor bought an under valued property as a result of his/her inside knowledge. If a Realtor does buy his/her own listing, or any other listing below market value there could be severe consequences to the Realtor as a result of breaking the law, and numerous codes of ethics and behaviour.

Do Realtors get a first look at new listings? Sure. But, it is not as common as you may think it is. Most listings are taken by a firm other than the one you will be working for, even if you go with the largest firm in your town. Those other Realtors are not likely to call you and tell you about a new listing. They will call their clients first.

You are better off to establish a good rapport with the better Realtors in your town and have them feed you new listings that their firm gets. Because you then become their client, they do not view you as a competitor, and are more likely to help you develop your portfolio.

Now... earning a portion of the commission. It is my belief, as a result of disclosure laws, that Realtors do not get a break on price. In fact, an uneducated seller might react negatively to your disclosure, and think, "Why does he know that I don`t know? Why is he interested in my property?" That thought could cost you the 2 - 3% you would expect to earn in commission. It was for this reason that I wanted to get rid of my license. Several others I know feel the same way.

Having said that, I am sure you will hear from others who love being an investor and a Realtor. Mine is just one point of view.

joe123

Registered
I agree 100% with Dan. I became a "part-time" realtor with the same intentions as you. After about 5 transactions I quickly discovered it was actually costing me, what a waste of time and money. Sellers will not go down as much. Buyers think they should get a deal. Some will not make an offer just because you are an agent/owner... thinking you are up to no good. You have to disclose you are an agent. Real Estate agents that I know that invest seriously use another agent to help them buy and sell.

GarthChapman

Registered
My observation is the Realtors who are Realtors because that is their chosen profession, and who also happen to be investors, get the benefits of being their own Realtor when buying their own investment properties (that being their sideline). And if they are really good Realtors then they do a good job for themselves just like they do for their clients.

And that seems to me to make sense...

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Well said, Garth.

One should become a Realtor because he/she wants to develop that business as the primary business. Becoming a Realtor to save money, or to be "first in line" is not sufficient reason to get a real estate license.

It is not a business that one can do well at working it part time. Part timers, from my observation, have a business that is more of a tax write off than an income producer. In other words, they make little or no money, and have heavy monthly expenses (desk fees, real estate board costs, insurance, marketing, etc.) that become tax deductions.

Bottlejack

Registered
Thanks for the feedback.. As I think more about it I think that the way my investments are going and where I want to be, I will not be selling to many house for along time.

thanks again.

Eric

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I am a licenced mortgage agent and I won`t do my own deals. It is just a recipe for problems to try to be all things. I have some licenced realtors that are licenced as mortgage agents thru my office and I won`t let them do both sides of a deal either. Mortgage brokers and Realtors are licenced the same way, and with all the needed disclosures you would scare your seller so bad you would not likely get any cost advantage. Don`t be afraid to hire a Realtor, the seller pays him and they are a totally valueable resource. No one wants to pay more than they need to for a property but the cost of a good realtor is good value when you consider how much time they can save you. In the words of Les Hewitt, "the less YOU do, the more money you can make". Hire pros to do your work.

Bottlejack

Registered
So how does one find a good realtor? i might have just had bad luck, or maybe expect to much.

what should i expect out of a realtor?

should i just call several and tell them what i am looking for? and see who works the hardest for me, or should i just try one at a time until i find what that seems to be working for me? When there is nothing listed that works for me should i knock on doors or should the realor do that? i have properties that i want to sell. Should i just find someone to list them and hope that they will also find me places to buy, if it seems that the realtor has other clients that are buying the same types of properties as i am should i find another realtor?

tmacdonald

Registered
QUOTE (Bottlejack @ Nov 21 2008, 12:25 AM) So how does one find a good realtor? i might have just had bad luck, or maybe expect to much.

what should i expect out of a realtor?

should i just call several and tell them what i am looking for? and see who works the hardest for me, or should i just try one at a time until i find what that seems to be working for me? When there is nothing listed that works for me should i knock on doors or should the realor do that? i have properties that i want to sell. Should i just find someone to list them and hope that they will also find me places to buy, if it seems that the realtor has other clients that are buying the same types of properties as i am should i find another realtor?

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Oct 30 2008, 10:08 PM) My observation is the Realtors who are Realtors because that is their chosen profession, and who also happen to be investors, get the benefits of being their own Realtor when buying their own investment properties (that being their sideline). And if they are really good Realtors then they do a good job for themselves just like they do for their clients.

And that seems to me to make sense...

Raises hand and
style_emoticons
I was investing before I was a Realtor but it did become a chosen profession and passion. To me personally with my experience, it just seemed like the right fit. I am fully committed and funny that my husband and I were just talking about this the other day...he asked:"is there something you ever feel missing and that you`re destined to do?". My answer is that I`m doing it.

That said, you can`t do this business part-time and there are a lot of expenses that go with it. I agree with the others about just finding a good Realtor for your team that understands your goals and he/she makes them a priority. Find one who understands investing and that it`s about numbers so do your homework and ask the questions the REIN team put together.

Too bad you weren`t at the meeting on Wednesday as there was a good topic on Realtors. I know they were recording it so it will be available for members if you missed it.

Perhaps there`s someone here that works out in your area. If not, let me know and I can try to help you get someone if you wish...

Other than that, there isn`t a real savings for you IMO...unless you`re going to do it full time and a career choice.

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
QUOTE (Bottlejack @ Nov 21 2008, 01:48 AM) Selling in sarnia, and buying in sarnia and maybe london, Ontario.

I`m in Ontario here...I can help you if you wish and ensure they understand the criteria.

Spoep

Registered
Hi Bottlejack

I am a fellow investor as well as a Realtor here in London, a Career Realtor
I have also bought/sold a few properties in the Sarnia area but do most of my work in London`s core. I would be happy to grab a coffee with you sometime to see if I can help.

Best Wishes

Phil Spoelstra
RE/MAX Centre City Realty Inc
Cell: 519-870-7325

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
How do you find a good Realtor? That is a great question.
Without putting down all of the REIN members who are Realtors, I doubt every REIN member Realtor is a great Realtor. My suggestion is that you ask REIN members in your area who they are using. Ask people in your community who is one of the leading Realtors in your town. Go to various offices and ask to speak to the manager. Explain why you are there and find out who he/she thinks is an up and coming star in that office.

You should be able to develop a list of three to five possibilities. Invite each to lunch... at your expense... as you will be interviewing them, and they may not get the job. Tell them about your current position, especially if you are new at this game. Talk about your goals. Ask them what they will do for you, and how they work with their clients. Above all, listen to what questions he/she asks about you and your goals. If there are no questions, then I suggest you say, "You`re Fired!"

You may have concerns that a Realtor may not want to work with you if you are new at the game. Nonsense! If you are new, have no investments now, be honest. But also be honest about your plans. Any Realtor would love to work with someone who they think is going to buy multiple properties through them over a period of years.

Pick a person with whom you feel very comfortable, who is willing to work for you, who will give you advice, who would treat you as if you are their family member. No matter how good a Realtor is, if you do not feel a warm and fuzzy feeling when with that person, that relationship probably will not work. Do you get a feeling that they will be working for you, and not themselves. (My current Realtor told me a price I was considering recently was too high
. You want your Realtor to tell you that.)

As a Realtor, four years ago I did a deal with another Realtor whose income may be in 7 figures... certainly well into the high 6 figures. He was arrogant, snotty, cold, and full of himself because of his income and his self perceived position in the community. He showed no interest in me or my client. I saw him numerous times after that deal, and he had no idea who I was. He is one person who I will never call to sell my property... or to buy one either, for that matter. Genuine warmth is important. I have dealt with many genuinely warm and caring Realtors over the years.

I suggested you talk with up and coming stars. They are showing a keen interest in the business. Their business is still growing, and they have not become jaded by having business fall into their laps, like my arrogant friend. They are still open to new ideas and concepts, and chances are that you will be introducing them to investment ideas that they have not been aware of before.

invst4profit

Registered
When you find the realtor Dan is talking about you then developed a relationship that allows you to teach them how to do there job to meet your expectations.
You have to keep in mind that most realtors have come to expect there customers to see a few homes, fall in love with one and then buy it at what ever price it takes. That price is usually above there initial price range.

As investors we set the price that works not the seller and this appears to be the biggest stumbling block for realtors. That and how they seem to consistently support unrealistic cash flow figures.
I hate it when a realtors says a property has positive cash flow because the rent is higher than the mortgage payment. That realtor never hears back from me.

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Dec 19 2008, 11:23 AM) ......I hate it when a realtors says a property has positive cash flow because the rent is higher than the mortgage payment......

Hi Greg.

How do you do the maths? Is it the Cap.Rate, which you except or the potential of the property in a longterm?

Maybe a stupid question, but I am new here...

Best regards,

Alex.

Bottlejack

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Dec 19 2008, 01:33 AM) How do you find a good Realtor? That is a great question.
Without putting down all of the REIN members who are Realtors, I doubt every REIN member Realtor is a great Realtor. My suggestion is that you ask REIN members in your area who they are using. Ask people in your community who is one of the leading Realtors in your town. Go to various offices and ask to speak to the manager. Explain why you are there and find out who he/she thinks is an up and coming star in that office.

You should be able to develop a list of three to five possibilities. Invite each to lunch... at your expense... as you will be interviewing them, and they may not get the job. Tell them about your current position, especially if you are new at this game. Talk about your goals. Ask them what they will do for you, and how they work with their clients. Above all, listen to what questions he/she asks about you and your goals. If there are no questions, then I suggest you say, "You`re Fired!"

You may have concerns that a Realtor may not want to work with you if you are new at the game. Nonsense! If you are new, have no investments now, be honest. But also be honest about your plans. Any Realtor would love to work with someone who they think is going to buy multiple properties through them over a period of years.

Pick a person with whom you feel very comfortable, who is willing to work for you, who will give you advice, who would treat you as if you are their family member. No matter how good a Realtor is, if you do not feel a warm and fuzzy feeling when with that person, that relationship probably will not work. Do you get a feeling that they will be working for you, and not themselves. (My current Realtor told me a price I was considering recently was too high
. You want your Realtor to tell you that.)

As a Realtor, four years ago I did a deal with another Realtor whose income may be in 7 figures... certainly well into the high 6 figures. He was arrogant, snotty, cold, and full of himself because of his income and his self perceived position in the community. He showed no interest in me or my client. I saw him numerous times after that deal, and he had no idea who I was. He is one person who I will never call to sell my property... or to buy one either, for that matter. Genuine warmth is important. I have dealt with many genuinely warm and caring Realtors over the years.

I suggested you talk with up and coming stars. They are showing a keen interest in the business. Their business is still growing, and they have not become jaded by having business fall into their laps, like my arrogant friend. They are still open to new ideas and concepts, and chances are that you will be introducing them to investment ideas that they have not been aware of before.

Thanks for all the feed back..

I must say i have had a Realtor that was an up and coming start (well i would not go that far). But he Got arrogant really fast less then a year in the business and was bragging that he was the best in the city.. I just shook my head and hoped that his "He is the greatest in town", speach was not one he shares with all his clients. I think that the slower times will make some of the new agents realize that it is not always list a house on monday and sell it on wednesday. I think i will try the interview thing, sounds like a great idea..

Thanks again
Eric

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (Northern Alex @ Dec 19 2008, 12:49 PM) Hi Greg.

How do you do the maths? Is it the Cap.Rate, which you except or the potential of the property in a long term?

Maybe a stupid question, but I am new here...

Best regards,

Alex.

My number one rule is a property must cash flow from day one.
I use the 50% formula in making my initial evaluation. Monthly expenses will cost approximately 50% of rental income. From the remaining 50% I calculate mortgage amounts based on 100% financing and what is left is your cash flow which should be at least $100/door/month.
This gives me a very conservative ball park value on a property.
Keep in mind these are rough numbers used to determine if the property is of any interest to me at all. You will seldom find a unit for sale that meets this formula which means further detailed due diligence is required to discover the real numbers on any given property that may look promising.

Another quick formula is to simply calculate monthly rent as 2% of the purchase price.
The reality is you will rarely find properties in this range without very hard work, tons of research and lots of shameless low ball offers. My present investment only calculated at 1.4% but other circumstances regarding the deal made it very attractive.
No formula is cast in stone however the one constant is expenses will be higher than you think.
Many investors will give up and settle for less than 1% believing better properties do not exist..

It`s complicated..Purchase the book if you have not already.

NorthernAlex

Registered
Thank you very much for your explanation.

I am waiting for the updated book which should have arrived early this year. Anyhow, I have just bought my first 5plex now with 1.4. It was a long for and back and we nagotiated a couple months until they agreed to my offer.

Anyhow I am very excited to join soon REIN and increase my knowledge thru so interesting posts like yours and by meeting so interesting persons at the Rein Meetings.

I really enjoy the forum.

Best regards,

Alex.

PS: Happy New Year.

Top Bottom