Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Skip house inspection for 30-yr old condo

donksky

Registered
Hello, is it okay to skip having a professional inspector for a 30-yr old condo in Southern Ontario & just look at it myself? THere wouldn`t be the same concerns as an older detached house like roof, bad basements or outdated furnace right? thanks!

L

lanedry77

Hi Donna,

It`s a personal decision, but I would never skip an inspection. It`s not a high expense, and even if a crumbling foundation (for instance) might be the condo board`s problem - do you really want that hassle?

I`d say get the inspection.

David.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Inspections are a cost of being in this business. Don`t cheap out on them!

QUOTE (DavidSandbrand @ Apr 4 2008, 11:13 AM) Hi Donna,

It`s a personal decision, but I would never skip an inspection. It`s not a high expense, and even if a crumbling foundation (for instance) might be the condo board`s problem - do you really want that hassle?

I`d say get the inspection.

David.

SamEfford

Registered
When I bought my first investment property, I thought I knew enough about houses to inspect the house myself. My realtor insisted on a house inspection. The home inspector found 3 items that I would not have looked at nor known about.

A good inspector is a very important part of your team. Get the inspection, and be there at the time of inspection.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
There is a condominium complex in this area where the prices are beautiful. Our friend enthusiastically placed an offer on one of the units and didn`t make it conditional on inspection because it because it looked so great. Concerned, we called our realtor to find out why the price was so low. Turns out there is a big mould problem with the complex. Fortunately she scrambled and got out of it.

Saving a few hundred dollars can cost you a whole lot more.

Always get an inspection.

EdRenkema

Registered
Get a professional inspection.
I was very recently in the same position and inspected it with my renovator. Some issues have been uncovered during the renovation that would certainly have curbed my enthusiasm on the purchase and could have been used for negotiation leverage. I`ve had inspections previously and they follow a methodical, structured routine, testing all plugs, switches, appliances, and using strong lights, test meters etc. I can honestly say I made a mistake not getting it on this one, and it likely would have paid off several times over, fortunately it isn`t going to be overly costly.
I won`t make that mistake again - its the cost of doing business.

Ed R

BoydG

Registered
The inspection is worth the money.

A good inspector can reveal if the complex has any future problems with structure, roofs or boilers that you may not otherwise know about. It`s also useful to compare this knowledge with the strata (condo) budget AND minutes of annual meetings to see if the strata board is aware of (and discussing) future trouble and/or has the money to cope with them if needed, avoiding any special assessments to the unit owners.

Inspections have helped me see "behind the curtain", as Don likes to say.

Hope this helps.

KULA

REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ADVISOR
Registered
Hi,

Judging by the replies you already have, I don`t think you need to hear from me but here`s my 2 cents. Although it can be tempting to save a few bucks...Get a House inspection. it is the cost of doing buisness. The few houses i have bought, I have always had an inspection - the inspections have always yielded information I had not seen or thought of.

Also make sure you get a really good inspector - Some are cheap for a reason.

Best of luck,

Niran Kulathungam

RebeccaBryan

Registered
It really depends on your ability. I always get an inspection done. Use a reputable one though, as they all aren`t the same!

rforgiel

REIN Member
I faced the same question you have on a condo townhouse. Between my lawyer and realtor they felt there was not much to inspect on a condo. I did have an inspection however and the inspector went through the complex completely. He found the foundations sinking in the corners and the buildings splitting in half slowly. I didn`t bother sticking around for the status certificate to see if the condo board had underpinning the foundation and the budget for it in their plans and walked away from the deal. On a condo you own a piece of all the problems eventhough the problem my not be in your unit. I say get an inspection.

Ramon Forgiel

dobiso

Registered
QUOTE (rforgiel @ Apr 10 2008, 08:58 PM) I faced the same question you have on a condo townhouse. Between my lawyer and realtor they felt there was not much to inspect on a condo. I did have an inspection however and the inspector went through the complex completely. He found the foundations sinking in the corners and the buildings splitting in half slowly. I didn`t bother sticking around for the status certificate to see if the condo board had underpinning the foundation and the budget for it in their plans and walked away from the deal. On a condo you own a piece of all the problems eventhough the problem my not be in your unit. I say get an inspection.

Ramon Forgiel

Can anyone recommend some good inspectors in Red Deer ?

Dexter Obiso

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Hi

I always get an inspection for all the reasons other members have posted plus one more.
If the inspection reveals something not too serious, something not structural, something you could deal with and fix like needing a new roof, get an estimate for how much this repair/capital expense would cost, and get that amount rebated back to you (taken off the price) on closing. The old owner pays for the repairs revealed in the inspection that you would have found out about too late when the sale was long closed.

This has worked for me.

Cheers, Margaret

Top Bottom