Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Snow Removal in Edmonton

Allie

Registered
I am wondering how property owners deal with snow removal in the winter for Edmonton Properties. I used the search function and could not find any leads.

First of all, I do not know exactly which areas of a house needs to be shoveled when there is snow. In addition to the front sidewalks, and clearance to the door for the mailman, are the back alleys my responsibility too?

I also need to know how other investors deal with this issue in a multi unit property. I assume that the occupant of the single family home does all the shoveling themselves but when the house is divided into four separate entrances, dividing responsibilities may become an issue. Do you guys utilize a service that comes by whenever it snows or do you put it in the contract that the tenants are to maintain their own snow removal?

mortgageman

Registered
My leases say shoveling and lawn mowing are the tenants responsibilities. As for which tenant does it when it`s a suited bungalow or duplex, I tell them to work something out between themselves since they are all adults and can divide responsibilities equally.
I don`t have any multi-family residences but I would imagine either the caretaker does it or you hire a snow removal/lawn maintenance company.
All the best,
Jason

Kimberly

Registered
When I bought my triplex it was set up that the landlord pays to have the driveway and rear parking lot snow plowed and my clients do their own sidewalks and steps. Here is how I have it written in my lease....

PROPERTY MAINTENANCE:
The Tenant will be responsible for snow removal on the stairs, walkway and front porch. The Landlord will provide a snow shovel and salt for the Tenant to use in order to keep the rented premises safe and accessible. The tenant will notify the landlord when the salt is low, so new salt can be purchased and supplied to the tenant on a timely basis. The landlord will provide snow removal services to keep the driveway and parking area clear. Due to workload by snow removal business employed, the landlord cannot guarantee snow removal prior to times when tenants may be leaving for work, and thus cannot be held liable for any costs/lost time possibly incurred by the tenant.

I still manage my own properties. I visit/drive by my properties unannounced once or twice a month, more in the winter. I will shovel the walkways, stairs and porch occassionally, which my customers are very appreciative. For each property I have a book/journal that I document each visit, what I did when, as well as any conversation/phone call, fix done, contacts.. just anything and everything about the property.. and each is dated and time written. It`s a practise I picked up in one of the first QuickStarts I attended and it works for me.

This past winter, I have hired an individual next door to the triplex who snow blows the driveway and parking and now the sidewalks, stairs and porch. I still provide the salt and shovel, more to cover myself (as much as possible) as a piece of due diligence against insurance liability.

Bottomline, it`s what works for you and your customers. If you purchased with a process already in place, it more difficult to change. As a landlord and property owner you have a responsibility to keep your properties safe and free from danger. Setting up a process that works for all, from a financial, legal/insurance and convenience side is my goal.

Eric Peters

Registered
You as owner are responsible for the city sidewalks. If you want mail delivery you will also need to insure the walk to your mailbox or slot is clear of snow (You have 48 hours to comply with city bylaw)
You may opt to contractually pass on that responsility to your tenants (I would) but if it is not done it is the owner who will receive the fine.
The city is responsible for the lane.
Sidewalks on the property except that to the mailbox are your judgement BUT if they are not kept clear and a tenant falls on ice, guess who could be liable.

All said, its not that difficult if you know the rules and plan ahead.

Allie

Registered
Thank you for the very helpful answers. I shall add snow removal into the contract.

Top Bottom