Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Some humour among the European debt crisis, stimulus package etc.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
From the National Post:

QUOTE:

`A Greek, an Irishman and a Portuguese go into a bar and order a drink. Who
picks up the bill? `

A German.

And from the website of the German newspaper Deutsche Welle: `For 400 euros
you can adopt a Greek. He`ll stay at your place, sleep late, drink coffee, have
lunch and then take a nap, so you can go to work.`

Q: What economic model correctly forecasts the outlook for the European
economy? A double-dip recession, a V-shaped recovery, or something else?

A: The bathtub. A steep decline, then a period of stagnation, then it goes down
the drain.

`Working session of the European Council 19.15 Working dinner 20.00
Bilateral meetings/Eurozone only session 22.00 Press Conference` 22:05 ` Silvio
Berlusconi heads off to the nightclub; drinks on him``.Angela declines because
she wants to, Sarko because he has to, Papandreou because he can`t afford the
taxi back.`

UNQUOTE

More here: http://business.financialpost.com/2011/10/26/getting-some-laughs-out-of-europes-debt-crisis/

markbrad

Registered
Humor is not prejudice and hatred. Tell me a good Canadian joke and I will laugh, not think you are prejudice, or hate me! I can even tell a joke on myself. Lighten up and enjoy a good laugh. In fact, I challenge you to tell me a joke. Seriously, I want to hear a good joke from you

Mark

housingrental

Registered
Writing does not become devoid of hate because someone might find it funny.

[quote user=markbrad]Humor is not prejudice and hatred. Tell me a good Canadian joke and I will laugh, not think you are prejudice, or hate me! I can even tell a joke on myself. Lighten up and enjoy a good laugh. In fact, I challenge you to tell me a joke. Seriously, I want to hear a good joke from you

Mark

housingrental

Registered
Why would I be kidding?

Are you suggesting you support hate?

[quote user=Rickx]Prejudice and hatred!!!!????? You MUST be kidding!

markbrad

Registered
I'm still waiting for a joke. And just because someone tells a joke using a nationality does not mean they are racist and have hatred in their heart! Most times it means they are fun loving human beings who can see a light side to life, and enjoy a good laugh!

Question... If a white NHL player picks a fight with a black (or should I say African American) player on the ice, does that make him racist?

Mark

housingrental

Registered
To answer your question - not inherently, no....

To respond to your question - You are providing a comparison that does not fit. How about you answer my question - Do you think other posters writing posts that target and are offensive to minority groups acceptable because some readers will find the post enjoyable?

[quote user=markbrad]I'm still waiting for a joke. And just because someone tells a joke using a nationality does not mean they are racist and have hatred in their heart! Most times it means they are fun loving human beings who can see a light side to life, and enjoy a good laugh!

Question... If a white NHL player picks a fight with a black (or should I say African American) player on the ice, does that make him racist?

Mark

markbrad

Registered
Answer is yes and no. As with everything in life we use judgement. As with everything in life not everyone will agree with us, and we will offend someone. In the case of Thomas" post /jokes, yes it is very acceptable. It was in good taste and in my mind is not derogatory, or defaming of anyone in particular. If it was a joke like "How do you stop an Indian from drowning...." Not acceptable on this forum.

Mark

housingrental

Registered
Hi Mark

Please be mindful that you might not take offense to his post but other people might.

In your above post you seem to understand and agree with me on the general concept - that posts that could offend and target certain groups are not appropriate - but are making a distinction for Thomas post where a distinction does not exist.

If someone else other than Thomas Beyer posted it, would you think the post is still okay?

Do you think encouraging targeting certain ethnic communities is something to be encouraged on this forum?

I do not.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I am going to weigh in on this one, too. I found Thomas' post light hearted, with no hint of racism or hatred.

Any one group that cannot take a joke at their expense should stay out of the kitchen. IMHO, political correctness has gone too far when we cannot have fun at someone else's expense. No individual was made fun of, or embarrassed. Satire makes fun of situations, and of the people who caused them.

If we cannot poke fun at ourselves, then the political humourists who grace our TV's every night would have nothing to say. The daily newspaper cartoonists would have blank sheets of paper. Life can sometimes be funny, and we should all learn to laugh at ourselves.

I am a proud Lunenburger (Nova Scotia), currently living in Vancouver. That makes me bi-coastal, not bi-polar. I am often the brunt of jokes here, sometimes because of the way I say "bar" or "car", or my Lunenburg expressions. But, I enjoy being laughed with, and I do not take offense to that. I will laugh hardest when the joke is on me.

If we do not like or love someone, we do not tease, torment, or make "jokes at their expense".

housingrental

Registered
Hi Dan

Thank you for your input.

If there was a potentially offensive comment relating to something you were sensitive about would you still feel the same way? What about the readers who do get hurt from reading these types of posts?

Happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks

acurAspec

Registered
To lighten up the situation here as this post could go on for days debating on what is right and wrong with this world today and how we are all affected!
Bull Market:

Is a random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

Bear Market:

Is a 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry and the husband gets no sex.

Bear:

What your trade account and wallet will be when you take a flyer on that hot stock tip your secretary gave you.

Bull:

What your broker uses to explain why your mutual funds tanked during the last quarter.

bull_bear_1123.gif

invst4profit

Registered
Those four definitions display insensitivity and lack political correctness in regards to geniuses, women, secretarial staff and of course brokers.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]Those four definitions display insensitivity and lack political correctness in regards to geniuses, women, secretarial staff and of course brokers.

and animals ..

housingrental

Registered
Now here's someone that gets it

Thank you for your post!

[quote user=invst4profit]Those four definitions display insensitivity and lack political correctness in regards to geniuses, women, secretarial staff and of course brokers.

housingrental

Registered
And here's someone who does not ):

[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=invst4profit]Those four definitions display insensitivity and lack political correctness in regards to geniuses, women, secretarial staff and of course brokers.

and animals ..

Top Bottom