Someone broke into my tenant`s unit

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

The tenant did not report this to the police. Should I report it to the police?
Also, the door and handle are broken. should I call the insurance company or just fix it without involving them?

THANKS.

thejules

REIN Member
Report it to the police as soon as possible. If can avoid calling the insurance company, I would!

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Jules for the quick response and valuable information. It`s the triplex in Orillia by the way.
Cheers,
Neil

Ready4Rent

Registered
Neil,

I would get the tenant to report it to the police, and get an indecent # from him/her for your records. We had a case of this last year, when the tenant couldn`t pay rent (stolen from break-in). Turns-out, after asking for police report indecent number, and follwoing up with the police, no break-in was thought to have occurred by police and rent paid. Also you may want to see if the tenant still has keys for the unit, could be a case of them locked out and now wanting a new lock :) have had that happen before too.

John

Oh yes avoid insurance if you can :)

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks John,

Interesting comments!

Perhaps there are better detectives than me here so here is the complete picture John et al:

- I came to her unit around 2 weeks ago to check the temperature in her apartment following her complaint it is too cold in the bedroom. She was supposed to be there but wasn`t (her fault), then I found out I don`t have the key to her main lock (my fault).

- I told her later about the key issue and that next time I come I will duplicate her key. I came again to her unit last Friday (Dec. 5) and found I actually have the dead bolt key only and that is all she is using (so I could actually enter last time too). She mentioned she is not using the main lock or that she doesn`t have the key to that lock (unfortunately I can`t remember) but bottom line she is not using it. So I thought to myself "ok no need to duplicate anything (I have the dead bolt key she has)" and forgot about it.

- Today, 2 days after the visit on Friday, she left the surprising message on my VM that someone broke into her unit and did NOT take anything. The handle and door are broken and need to be replaced.

- she always pays rent on time.

- A month ago I sent a notice of rent increase (form N1) to all the tenants in this triplex.

- She is on disability, I think due to mental illness but not sure.

- She told me she did not report this to the police

Following John`s great input it does look to me now like there might be a connection between some of the facts. Thoughts? perhaps I`m too suspicious?

I find the timing of the incidence suspicious/surprising as it happened only 2 days after my visit and me finding out from her that she does not use the main lock. But even if she did it (broke the door), why now? is it possible she only started worrying about it and her safety from the moment I found out about it?

Should I report the incidence to the police and mention my suspicious that she or someone she knows did that? OR Should I ask her to report the incidence instead?

Lastly, My main dilemma: I know it is my responsibility to ensure the tenants` safety and fix/replace the outside door when needed. However, if she did it intentionally I really prefer not to fix that. My question is: does the entire incidence look suspicious to you too and what would you do about it or say to her? and the most difficult question: Even if she did it is there anything that can somehow be done in order not to look stupid and spend $500 to replace a door she broke?!?

THANKS!
Neil

willy

Registered
First thing that comes to my mind is that she lost her key and somebody kicked the door in to let her in.

Ready4Rent

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 7 2008, 10:05 PM) Thanks John,

Interesting comments!

Perhaps there are better detectives than me here so here is the complete picture John et al:

- I came to her unit around 2 weeks ago to check the temperature in her apartment following her complaint it is too cold in the bedroom. She was supposed to be there but wasn`t (her fault), then I found out I don`t have the key to her main lock (my fault).

- I told her later about the key issue and that next time I come I will duplicate her key. I came again to her unit last Friday (Dec. 5) and found I actually have the dead bolt key only and that is all she is using (so I could actually enter last time too). She mentioned she is not using the main lock or that she doesn`t have the key to that lock (unfortunately I can`t remember) but bottom line she is not using it. So I thought to myself "ok no need to duplicate anything (I have the dead bolt key she has)" and forgot about it.

- Today, 2 days after the visit on Friday, she left the surprising message on my VM that someone broke into her unit and did NOT take anything. The handle and door are broken and need to be replaced.

- she always pays rent on time.

- A month ago I sent a notice of rent increase (form N1) to all the tenants in this triplex.

- She is on disability, I think due to mental illness but not sure.

- She told me she did not report this to the police

Following John`s great input it does look to me now like there might be a connection between some of the facts. Thoughts? perhaps I`m too suspicious?

I find the timing of the incidence suspicious/surprising as it happened only 2 days after my visit and me finding out from her that she does not use the main lock. But even if she did it (broke the door), why now? is it possible she only started worrying about it and her safety from the moment I found out about it?

Should I report the incidence to the police and mention my suspicious that she or someone she knows did that? OR Should I ask her to report the incidence instead?

Lastly, My main dilemma: I know it is my responsibility to ensure the tenants` safety and fix/replace the outside door when needed. However, if she did it intentionally I really prefer not to fix that. My question is: does the entire incidence look suspicious to you too and what would you do about it or say to her? and the most difficult question: Even if she did it is there anything that can somehow be done in order not to look stupid and spend $500 to replace a door she broke?!?

THANKS!
Neil

Neil,

Hard to say, I don`t know your tenant. I would still get her to report it to police (it is "her" place that was broken into). You`re reason for asking her to do that... Say insurance won`t pay-out with-out an indecent number, which they won`t. Once you get the incident # follow-up with the officer (privacy issues might limit your getting a response, be nice).

#1) Hard-Way. Tell her it is her responsibility, give her 7-10 days to repair it herself if not completed in that time frame repair the door and send her a copy of the bill.

#2) Repair the door, and send her a letter stating lock-out procedures and her responsibility for damages caused by her and or her guests.

Either way it`s up to you to get it fixed in the long run.

Hope this helps.

John

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Willy.

Thanks again John, it`s amazing how from every little thing that happens there is always something to learn.

Regards,
Neil

terri

Registered
you currently have no proof that she did anything wrong so please treat her as innocent until proven guilty. True it seems odd that nothing was taken but it sounds like she`s been a good tenant thus far.

Get the police in to look at the door and tell you what happened. They will know if it is consistent with anything else going on in the neighbourhood. `Tis the season for crime. And this year with all it`s economic uncertaintly we can expect more crime than usual.

the best thing to do right now is damage control, don`t worry about whether she caused this herself, think about how she feels if she didn`t, make her feel safe and make the rest of your tenants feel safe, too. Fix it a.s.a.p. and take precautions to make sure it doesn`t happen to anyone else.

It`s not really that hard to break into an average metal clad door with only a screwdriver (I`ve learned the hard way, had a previous garage broken into twice). I won`t explain how to do it since this is a public forum, but the police can give you a list of things to do to make your doors safer.

One really great start is to put a plate on over the lock area. It prevents anyone from sticking anything between the lock and the jamb. It not only makes the door harder to break into but acts as a deterrant.

There are some great websites that discuss various things that you can do to make your property less attractive to thieves.

If you really think that she did it, but can`t prove it you can always put up a security camera outside the door. It doesn`t need to work, just as long as she she thinks it does.

Terri

gregg

REIN Member
Hi Neil,

Important thing is to make her feel safe as Terri suggests. This will show the other tenants that you care about their well being (tenants do talk among each other) also do include the police, the incident number will come in handy in case of future occurrences.

Gregg

JBagorio

Registered
I would say get her to report it to the police no matter what...

It is really hard to say if she did the damage to the door to let her self in due to her loosing the key or locking her self in, or she is plainly telling the truth. You really have to investigate!

Just a short story to share to you when my wife’s and I earlier days of our marriage, starting out our life, we where renting a townhouse. One day we found out that our front door was busted, but who ever did it wasn’t successful in breaking in. What saved us was, we have the door latch on and often don’t use the front door since we get out through the garage most of the time. We reported this to the police and also notified our landlord or the property management about the incident. The property management did not believe us (even with all the explanation and proof). They accused us of locking our selves in that is why the door was busted. I offered them to do an investigation and inspect the unit on top of the police report, but they keep on insisting that we did it and it is our cost to fix it. Not knowing much about L & T rules at that time I felt very helpless and just accepted the facts just to get out of the situation. As soon as our lease ended we left. We were renting at the community complex for a year, paying rents on time, and always respectful to everyone, and that’s how my wife and I was treated. I’d say just be careful and give your tenant the benefit of the doubt and investigate what truly happen.

TommyK

Registered
There`s something new I learn every time i log in.

I didn`t know tenants would bust the door if they lock themselves out. Oh boy, things some tenants would do.

This is a tricky situation as nothing was stolen.

Tommy