Sorting out Garage Electrical Billing

Aurora

Registered
I`m wondering what electrical billing options REIN members have used for a R-2 house (up/down suites)with a separate double garage?

My situation is:
  • separate electric meters up/down. Tenants pay utilities.
  • Garage is currently rented by upstairs tenants and they use it as a shop (lots of electrical use).Garage is wired into basement tenants meter (they aren`t very happy with having to sort out billing each month)Electricians consulted will wire it into upstairs meter: lots of cost as need to dig a trench/upgrade etc.
I feel that it is most probable upstairs tenants in general would rent the garage too, but what does one do if a third party rents the garage? Electrician stated a third meter is not possible as it is R-2 zoned.

Would love some input before I decide to dig.............Thank you!

MONEY

Registered
QUOTE (Aurora @ Apr 28 2008, 12:55 PM) I feel that it is most probable upstairs tenants in general would rent the garage too, but what does one do if a third party rents the garage? Electrician stated a third meter is not possible as it is R-2 zoned.

Rent it WITHOUT electriciy to Third Party.

GarthChapman

Registered
Charge an additional electricity amount to the garage tenant, and give that amount back to the other tenants on a pro-rata basis. They will see every month that they are getting something back - creates repeating positive emotions toward you the landlord.

I

IanSzabo

Depending on the wireing to the basement apt, you should be able to have a meter installed to just the garge. If this is not possible I would have the Electrian explain the following.
1) Mark a line on the ground to the new location( Should be dug out 6 to 8 Inches)
2) The size of conduit needed for the run( 2inch 3 Inch make sure it is bigger than you need)
If you have the following info a Handy man with limited skill can install the conduit( makeing sure the sure the joints are glued)
Its is like installing PVC plumbing. By haveing a Handy Man or friend do this you will save on the electrians labour. Electrians would rather be wireing up a meter instead of digging. This would save you some cash.
Feel free contact me if you have any more qustions. Thanks Ian