Sound abatement

terryaris

Registered
Sep 7, 2007
Lundbreck
We have a commercial building with a dance studio in the bottom and apartments above. Does anyone know of an effective sound board or wall that would deaden the sound going to the apartment above the dance studio? We have heard that stage curtains can be very effiective, but how would you install them? The ceiling in the lower space is not insulated at present but has a solid gyprock cover over 10 inch studs. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

sfatovic

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
I work with a school board as a facilities director, and sound issues are common. When it comes to ceilings a good sound dampener is a T-bar ceiling...sound panels are effective but at least 2 times the cost.

good luck

JPAQ

Registered
Sep 4, 2007
St Albert AB
QUOTE (terryaris @ Feb 3 2008, 09:58 AM)
We have a commercial building with a dance studio in the bottom and apartments above. Does anyone know of an effective sound board or wall that would deaden the sound going to the apartment above the dance studio? We have heard that stage curtains can be very effiective, but how would you install them? The ceiling in the lower space is not insulated at present but has a solid gyprock cover over 10 inch studs. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Terry,

It has been a while.....I had the same issue with a couple of basement suits. You can purchace "sound supression" insulation from Home Depot. It is green in color and looks like rock wool. I installed this and I had no more complaints. This stuff also acts as a fire barrier. I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Jason Paquette

780 953 6794

reiScout

Registered
Oct 4, 2007
Ottawa
We recently demolished a basement that had a major flood and one of the rooms was actually a theatre with about 30 seats and all. The customer said the system he`s installed had been very effective in eliminating the sound from outside the room.

He had first installed 6" insulation (named "Safe`n`Sound" made by "Roxul" - available at home depot) between the studs and then had 3 layers of 5/8" of drywall installed over the insulation.

According to him, you couldn`t hear the sound from the entertainment area inside this room at all.

The advantage you have is that your ceiling is already uncovered. Perfect opportunity to build an ideal sound barrier and finish the ceiling.

I hope this is helpful.

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (reiScout @ Feb 3 2008, 03:00 PM)
He had first installed 6" insulation (named "Safe'n'Sound" made by "Roxul" - available at home depot) between the studs and then had 3 layers of 5/8" of drywall installed over the insulation.

I'll agree that this really is good sound insulation. We built our house a few years ago, and surrounded all bedrooms and bathrooms with this, and the house is so quiet that a couple years ago we slept through a house party next door that woke up the neighbours across the street.

I've heard that some of the professional sound-room insulation is much better, but WAY more expensive. oh - and this stuff is also a fire supressant, so if the worst happens to you, it will slow things down, or keep it a bit more contained.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Roxul insulation again.

David.

ToddStokowski

Registered
Oct 26, 2007
Canmore, Alberta
www.housez.ca
If I may add one more comment.

One of the big contributors to sound travel are the heat/ventilation ducts.

You can sound proof the walls and floors to the hilt, but if the ducts are travelling between the rooms, the sound will be transferred.

To eliminate the problem, there are baffles that can be installed in the duct work that eliminate the transfer of sound.

Todd

FayWong

Registered
Aug 30, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (ToddStokowski @ Feb 3 2008, 09:41 PM)
If I may add one more comment.

One of the big contributors to sound travel are the heat/ventilation ducts.

You can sound proof the walls and floors to the hilt, but if the ducts are travelling between the rooms, the sound will be transferred.

To eliminate the problem, there are baffles that can be installed in the duct work that eliminate the transfer of sound.

Todd
Can you tell me a little bit more about these baffles. Where can you get them? Do you need an installer or can this be a Do It Yourself job? If this needs someone who knows what they are doing to install them would I call a furnace guy, or an insulation guy? Any more information you have will be appreciated. Thank

dwb

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
London Ontario
QUOTE (reiScout @ Feb 3 2008, 05:00 PM) We recently demolished a basement that had a major flood and one of the rooms was actually a theatre with about 30 seats and all. The customer said the system he`s installed had been very effective in eliminating the sound from outside the room.

He had first installed 6" insulation (named "Safe`n`Sound" made by "Roxul" - available at home depot) between the studs and then had 3 layers of 5/8" of drywall installed over the insulation.

According to him, you couldn`t hear the sound from the entertainment area inside this room at all.

The advantage you have is that your ceiling is already uncovered. Perfect opportunity to build an ideal sound barrier and finish the ceiling.

I hope this is helpful.

Yes, this is very helpful. I`m having a huge problem with tenants in a duplex with the upper tenant cursing the lower tenants, fighting etc.. regarding the noise. I`ve been in the place and there is no sound barrier dividing the basement apartment from the upper unit. You can hear a pin dropping in the lower apartment, you can hear everything so I can kind of see why there is so much frustration. It is a bungalow.

In your opinion reiscout & David Sandbrand, How much would it cost to insulate a normal sized bungalow using this "Safe`n`Sound" between the studs and then adding 3 layers of 5/8" of drywall installed over the insulation? How much should I budget including labour?

Thanks so much in advance.
I can`t tell you how much this information has already helped.

L

lanedry77

Hi DWB,

I can`t really guess for sure on the cost. We did the work ourselves, and it was nearly four years ago. I *think* we spent about $1000 on the insulation itself, and then it took about two days to install. Keep in mind that we`re not professionals (not a fast installation), and that was to fully surround three bedrooms, one office, and three bathrooms in a ~2400 sq ft house.

the product details can be found here http://www.roxul.com/sw47802.asp and there`s a link on the website to find a local retailler - that would be your best starting spot.

I hope that helps, and you stay classy San Diego!
style_emoticons

David.

terri

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
toronto
while safe `n sound is good at muffling ambient noise, it doesn`t deal with vibration noise, ie footfalls that travel through the joists due to people walking (or in this case dancing). Now since the dance studio is below the apts and your concern is noise travelling up not dance shoes over head, vibration may not be as much of a concern but, from what I`ve been told if you do want to deal with vibration noise the best way to do that is by creating a dropped ceiling. Friends of mine build sound proof rooms in their house as they had a music school and what they did was creating a box within the existing walls. That way the sound vibration did not travel into the next room through the studs. If you go to websites on soundproofing, they will discuss this phenomenon more in depth, but basically the way to stop sound from travelling is by not attaching the new ceiling to the old ceiling.

There is also a special fire/sound reduction drywall that has metal in the middle, it`s supposed to be as effective as putting up 8 sheets of drywall, very expensive, unfortunately I can`t remember the $$$, nor the name of this product, did see it being used on an epoisode on "holmes on holmes" once, so you may be able to track it down that way.

From my personal experience with safe n` sound, my guess is that it won`t be sufficient on it`s own to deal with the noise from a dance studio.

Terri.

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (terri @ Feb 7 2008, 05:08 PM)
Friends of mine build sound proof rooms in their house as they had a music school and what they did was creating a box within the existing walls. That way the sound vibration did not travel into the next room through the studs. If you go to websites on soundproofing, they will discuss this phenomenon more in depth, but basically the way to stop sound from travelling is by not attaching the new ceiling to the old ceiling.

I've seen some straightforward articles on how to build these in home theater magazines and websites - mostly meant for walls, but probably adaptable to ceilings as well. You may want to search some of the home theater websites for some info too.

David.

terryaris

Registered
Sep 7, 2007
Lundbreck
Hello all: Thanks for such an interesting discussion and many ideas. I will follow-up and let you know how I make out. Aren`t these forums great!

Have a great weekend.

Terry

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Aug 22, 2007
www.donrcampbell.com
What a great discussion thread. This is truly the type of info sharing and brainstorming that we all hoped would occur when the Forums launched.

I learned a ton from this discussion. THANKS ALL!