Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Specific Multi-Family inquiries

Lucas

Registered
Hi all,
A friend and I are looking to invest in a small multi-family complex. We are interested in purchasing a distressed building (but solid and "decent) in a transitional, high traffic area with 4 to 8 suites...this depending largely on current inventories, current prices and how good of a deal we can find.

Our strategy is to purchase the complex, renovate and rent out at a premium rent (pending market conditions ofcourse). We would like to hold the complex for 3 to 5 years and then condominiumize and sell the units seperately.

We are Edmonoton based and not neccesarily Edmonton focused (again depending on what we find and what works). We have approx. 250k seed capital and would have to likely have to seek the additional funding associated with renovations. As a Realtor and active investor I do understand a cashflow situation so my questions do not revolve around that. As well, I have a renovation and building background so this is not my concern either...

1. What areas do investors recommend that will make this plan viable? Does Edmonton work when employing this particular strategy?

2. With 250k, what would be our approximate purchase budget?

3. Does this strategy seem viable at all and if not, what modifications will make it viable?

4. What, if any, will be the financing issues and how will a lender look at this deal (Which Sandbox) ? At what point does the lender look at financing multi-family a Commercial endeavor (how many suites?) ? And if it is classified a Commercial endeavor, what is the minimum downpayment...given the property information communicated above (distressed, commercial/residential)?

5. Our exit strategy is to condominiumize...Is this possible with a 4-plex, 6-plex, 8-plex?

6. What zoning regulations should we be aware of?

7. Would you recommend finding a good Property Management complany to look after it or can we do this ourselves?

8. What kind of initial reserve fund would you recommend?

9. Would someone with this kind of experience be interested in meeting with me (I`m from Edmonton!!!
style_emoticons
) and helping out. BTW, lunch would be my treat!!!

Answering all or any of these would be fantastic help.

Thanks and really look forward to some answers,

Lucas

PeterKinchMortgageTeam

Registered
QUOTE (Lucas @ Sep 7 2008, 01:04 PM) Hi all,
A friend and I are looking to invest in a small multi-family complex. We are interested in purchasing a distressed building (but solid and "decent) in a transitional, high traffic area with 4 to 8 suites...this depending largely on current inventories, current prices and how good of a deal we can find.

Our strategy is to purchase the complex, renovate and rent out at a premium rent (pending market conditions ofcourse). We would like to hold the complex for 3 to 5 years and then condominiumize and sell the units seperately.

We are Edmonoton based and not neccesarily Edmonton focused (again depending on what we find and what works). We have approx. 250k seed capital and would have to likely have to seek the additional funding associated with renovations. As a Realtor and active investor I do understand a cashflow situation so my questions do not revolve around that. As well, I have a renovation and building background so this is not my concern either...

1. What areas do investors recommend that will make this plan viable? Does Edmonton work when employing this particular strategy?

2. With 250k, what would be our approximate purchase budget?

3. Does this strategy seem viable at all and if not, what modifications will make it viable?

4. What, if any, will be the financing issues and how will a lender look at this deal (Which Sandbox) ? At what point does the lender look at financing multi-family a Commercial endeavor (how many suites?) ? And if it is classified a Commercial endeavor, what is the minimum downpayment...given the property information communicated above (distressed, commercial/residential)?

5. Our exit strategy is to condominiumize...Is this possible with a 4-plex, 6-plex, 8-plex?

6. What zoning regulations should we be aware of?

7. Would you recommend finding a good Property Management complany to look after it or can we do this ourselves?

8. What kind of initial reserve fund would you recommend?

9. Would someone with this kind of experience be interested in meeting with me (I`m from Edmonton!!!
style_emoticons
) and helping out. BTW, lunch would be my treat!!!

Answering all or any of these would be fantastic help.

Thanks and really look forward to some answers,

Lucas

With 4 suites or less, fully qualifed borrowers should be able to finance 80% conventionally with fully discounted rates. 4 plexes are still viewed as residential properties and qualify for residential financing and underwriting, meaning that the application is based more on the strength of the borrowers rather than the property.

Anything more than 4 units is typically commerical (though I have heard that some branches will look at a building with up to 6 units as residential) and underwriting is based on the strength of the building. While 80% financing is possible for commercial properties, the cashflow has to support it. Lenders look for a cashflow ratio typically of 1.25 or greater

In a nutshell, the rates are typically a bit higher, the LTV typically lower, amoritization shorter and the due diligence (ie appraisals, environmentals etc...) more expensive. If you are looking at a distressed building, financing will be tough!! Be prepared for some high rates and short amoritizations!!

Top Bottom