Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Starting an exercise program

tonycikes

Registered
Hello fellow REIN Members, I hope you all enjoyed last nights September 2007 BC REIN Workshop. What a treat it was to hear Les Hewitt speak and to get a chance to meet him. For those of you that were there I am the fellow that volunteered and went on stage with Les and committed to a new exercise program. I declared a goal is to implement a 5 day exercise program that includes 3 days of running (cardio) and 2 days of weight training in the gym. I am to get up and run at 6:00 am for a 1/2 hour and I committed to start that this morning. Talk about a great way to make yourself accountable. Share your goal with a room full of people and say you are going to do it. As Les said, "Face your fears head on. Focus and follow through!". I am happy to share with you my results:I got up at 5:40 am and made it out the door around 6:15 am. I completed 5.10 km in 28:32 minutes and I ran at an average pace of 5:35 per km!

I want to share with you a few things I learned from Les Hewitt last night and the "Power of Focus" exercise. As well as what I am doing to make this new exercise program a reality for me.

1)
Be clear on what you want and why you want it.

Last night I made a clear exercise program, three days cardio and two days doing weights.

The reason for me to be in shape is that I was born with congenital heart disease and I have high blood pressure. I take medication to control it but, I want to do it naturally. As well, in January my wife and I received the greatest gift we could ever receive and that was a beautiful baby girl named Olivia. I want to improve my life and I am committed to live long, healthy and to be a role model for her! There is no way that I am going to let my wife, my daughter and myself down by not taking care of my health and I know that if I can implement this habit, I can implement any habit I choose to.

2) Decide on the Habit you want to implement and the action plan for that new habit

New habit: Exercise five days a week

Action steps taken:

I hired a fitness trainer to train me. We workout for an hour every Wednesday and Friday from 6:30 am to 7:30 am. I found that being accountable to someone works and does and not let myself slack off. I tried doing a program over the Internet and as well as programs by following books. It did not last and I was not consistent. There were days were I did not work out and I found that having to meet someone causes me not to miss a workout. If you can not hire a trainer get a workout buddy, someone you can go to the gym or exercise with.

I also got my self an i-pod Nano, a pair of Nike+ runners and downloaded some running programs from i-tunes web site earlier this month. For me I love listening to music while I workout and I love gadgets. The Nike+ system is so cool it is like having a running coach run with you. You here this voice, it updates you on the distance you have ran, your pace, your calories and it motivates you to do more. It is a lot of fun and Nike has created a whole community where you can challenge others and see how you rank against them, www.nikeplus.com. Your Nano keeps track of your progress, your workout history, your fastest time and your farthest distance. That is how I knew my stats which I shared with you earlier. I think the key thing is to find something that you find fun and motivating.

I would love to hear what anyone else is doing to keep in shape and to hear your success stories. I find sharing is one of the best ways to learn and I hope that I was able to share something with you which can help. I also feel that what Don Campbell and REIN are providing and teaching us is truly life enhancing and changing. I would like to thank them for exposing us to great programs and to all these great people, like Les Hewitt, and I look forward to seeing and hearing all of our success stories!

Best regards

Tony Cikes
Sutton West Coast Realty

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Well Done Tony! Living up to commitments in life is critical...

Thanks for all of the insights from the Workshop as well. If others had their own breakthroughs from the exercises they should post them here so we can all learn from them.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Hi,
I was the guy from the Edmonton workshop who also made the work out commitment. I have been doing my walking and swimming. It was a great motivating experience wasn`t it? Stay in touch and let me know how you are making out. I have found since Wednesday night I have got lots of support from Rein members. We really are a great bunch.
style_emoticons

tonycikes

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcCrae @ Sep 22 2007, 11:23 PM) Hi,
I was the guy from the Edmonton workshop who also made the work out commitment. I have been doing my walking and swimming. It was a great motivating experience wasn`t it? Stay in touch and let me know how you are making out. I have found since Wednesday night I have got lots of support from Rein members. We really are a great bunch.
style_emoticons

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and good job for committing to an exercise program as well. I would love to keep in touch and share our results. If there is anything I can do to help keep you accountable to exercising please let me know.

Have a great day and keep fit!

Tony Cikes
Sutton West Coast Realty

DaveAlbano

Registered
QUOTE (tonycikes @ Sep 24 2007, 03:02 PM) Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and good job for committing to an exercise program as well. I would love to keep in touch and share our results. If there is anything I can do to help keep you accountable to exercising please let me know.

Have a great day and keep fit!

Tony Cikes
Sutton West Coast Realty

Hi Gents...I posted my own workout results on a separate post earlier today, today being the first day of the program that I committed to with Les at the Calgary REIN meeting. I saw your exchange and thought I should jump in too! Would love to keep in touch with you fine folks as well, share our exercise regimens, and keep us all accountable to one another in efforts to stay healthy, improve our lifestyles, and honour our commitments.

Best of luck!

DaveAlbano

Registered
QUOTE (DaveAlbano @ Sep 24 2007, 04:09 PM) Hi Gents...I posted my own workout results on a separate post earlier today, today being the first day of the program that I committed to with Les at the Calgary REIN meeting. I saw your exchange and thought I should jump in too! Would love to keep in touch with you fine folks as well, share our exercise regimens, and keep us all accountable to one another in efforts to stay healthy, improve our lifestyles, and honour our commitments.

Best of luck!

Hi All,

Just an update on this one. Tony, Mike and I have been in touch and we are now each other`s "Accountability Partners" ! We contact each other DAILY to ensure we`re on track, and we`ve shared all our exercise programs with one another and track it in a spreadsheet. Truly motivating when you know someone else is expecting results from you. It was tough getting up into the weight room this morning, but there I was, knowing that I had to "report in" to Tony and Mike. We`ve found solidarity in our common Les Hewitt experience, and its really gotten us off on the right track, and found new colleagues in the process! This is great! Thanks guys!

PhilipMcKernan

Registered
Hi Tony,

Well done for 1) turning up to see Les 2) For getting up on stage which is not easy 3) for following through 4) for holding YOURSELF accountable 5) for sharing it with us

While I cannot speak for Les but your action taking is part of the why the likes of Don and Russell do what they do month in month out as you and many REIN members know it way more than just real estate with these guys.

For years I found it so hard to get a real fitness program going for myself and it was only after I did some deeper personal work on my self and my own confidence grew and in turn my own self respect came through did I say NO to the way I was treating my own body and turned it on its head by saying you know I deserve more.

Keep it up and never go back!

Philip McKernan.

johnwaitecda

New Forum Member
Registered
Tony:

Thanks for the post. Nicky and I are very proud to have you as our son-in-law. It`s great to know how committed you are to your health and to your family. I will be calling you for advice.

Love to Cathy and Olivia, and have a great day!

John

mikecunning

REIN Member
QUOTE (johnwaitecda @ Dec 15 2007, 07:05 AM) Tony:

Thanks for the post. Nicky and I are very proud to have you as our son-in-law. It`s great to know how committed you are to your health and to your family. I will be calling you for advice.

Love to Cathy and Olivia, and have a great day!

John

Hi Tony:

You inspired me to get off my butt....I was sitting in power of focus next to Rob MacDonald and noticed that our health goals were the same....so I bet Rob MacDonald (Peter Kinche`s office) 10 ounces of silver ...the person that loses the greatest percentage of weight by Mar 1 wins! This has been super motivating and become a great rivalry.

I am also training with Shawn Slingerland (BC REIN member) If you`ve ever met Shawn, you think...there is a guy that doesn`t need to go to the gym! But the reason he looks so good is that he works out!!! So, I figured Shawn is the expert and I better do what the experts do.

By having a gym partner, it keeps me accountable!

Thanks Tony

MC

bonniemersereau

Registered
Hi Tony... I agree the accountability has really worked for my workout goals! After Power of Focus in November (where I met you) I set my fitness goal and have achieved it for 4 weeks. My main motivation is the competitive rivalry with my focusing buddy (right Dave)... and that weekly meeting!

The POF (Power of Focus) principals really work.

Bonnie

Top Bottom