Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tax deductions

jlprato

Registered
What are the tax deductions available in a negative cash flow property?
How to manage this?
Thank You

Jorge

Albertritchot

REIN Member
The question is an interesting one.

It is possible to make a profit while still having a negative cash flow.

For example, if a you give a renter 6 months credit you would have 6 months rent X 1,000 less cash expenses of 800 X 6 months. This would mean that your profit is (1000-800) X 6 = 1,200. However, your cash flow will be negative since you spend 800 X 6 in cash but get no cash from your rent (you gave him credit). All of this to say that cash flow and revenue and expenses do not go hand in hand.

Usually, a negative cash flow means that you are not making a profit. Say Rent 700, Expenses 900 Cash flow 700-900=-200 negative cash flow.

Your question is which expenses can I deduct when I have cash flow. Usually, all expenses can be deducted except one called Capital Cost Allowance. This expense is an elective one (often called depreciation) and, for tax purposes, cannot be deducted to increase the loss.

A good source of information for rental properties is to look at the Rental Guide on the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Here is the link.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4036/README.html

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to send me an email.

Albert Ritchot CGA
[email protected]

Registered
It is well worth your time to become knowledgeable about the CRA guide to Rental Property- I`ve set-up my files to mirror the categories. Tax advantages can make or break property- my property a single family dwelling with in-law has a slight neg. cash flow each month but when I factor in the tax refund each year it is more than pos. cash flow.

S.G.

QUOTE (jlprato @ Dec 15 2009, 05:01 PM) What are the tax deductions available in a negative cash flow property?
How to manage this?
Thank You

Jorge

Top Bottom