Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tax implications for non-resident Canadians living overseas

netmikem

REIN Member
Hello all.

I am a Canadian living and working (permanently) outside of Canada. A sibling of mine (who is living in Canada) has got me interested in REIN and real-estate investing in Canada.

My question is ... what would be the Canadian tax implications for me if I got into this, both as a JV or a sophisticated investor?

I understand that I will have to pay any Canadian tax incurred as a result of the various transactions but I want to be sure my income earned outside of Canada (i.e. my pay cheque!) is not going to be dragged into the Revenue Canada tax equation somehow.

I hope this question makes sense. I am certainly not a sophisticated investor (yet!).

Warm regards,

- Mike

netmikem

REIN Member
Replying to my own message here ... it is now 2016 and we have been back in Canada since 2013. We've been through the process of investing while living outside of Canada. At first it seemed like a daunting task to figure out but in the end, it wasn't actually all that bad.

If you are in the situation I was back in 2008, let me know and I can share our experience.

Cheers.

- Mike

jcurley

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi mike, I would be happy to hear how you dealt with the situation.

Top Bottom